View topic - Queen Elizabeth II Wildlands Solo Trip

It is currently September 26th, 2020, 7:04 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: May 1st, 2012, 1:34 pm 

I wouldn't recommend doing this particular route with a canoe - I actually used a Packraft, which made things much better.

http://www.backcountrynecessities.com/2012/04/early-season-packrafting-trip.html

Hope the info helps with someone else's trip planning!

PostPosted: May 2nd, 2012, 1:22 pm 

Ahh seems you attempted to try the route into Clear from Scrable through the marsh i said only the adventerous should try :lol: Glad to see others are just as hardy ("crazy" :thumbup:)
The two short portages we cleared on the South West side of Scrabble and the West side of Clear are the best ways in from Clear.

Great report though! That information in your map is useful! Mind if I add it to to the area map? Didn't know abut the portage from Coburn to Redboat Lake? How is it? Easy to find?

My Backcountry Website: www.explorethebackcountry.com

PostPosted: May 2nd, 2012, 3:32 pm 

Absolutely, use anything I posted on your map -- it's posted for people to use as a resource! Yours is the closest I've seen to a fully formed park map yet.

That marsh from clear to scrabble really is dense as you said, I wouldn't recommend it unless the water was quite a bit higher. As you probably saw, I backtracked around it and hiked across the point instead. It's a much saner route - if I had brought trail marking tape, I might have put it up as a suggested portage, there's a fairly clear hike straight through there along a natural valley in the terrain. I'd really suggest following your portages through.

As for the coburn to redboat passage, I mostly walked alongside the marsh, and paddled some of the clearer sections. It's similar in density to the Clear-Scrabble marsh. According to the ministry info, there's an atv trail that I crossed at one point in there, but seems to be disused and overgrown. If I hadn't been in a rush to get through to meet my ride I would have spent the time to try to follow it. It's definitely worth an exploration as it likely provides the sanest route through that area - the next time I go to that section of the park, I'll try to find it and map it out with the gps.

Here's an annotated map of my notes for that passage:
http://g.co/maps/ncwxp

PostPosted: May 5th, 2012, 9:03 pm 

I enjoyed your read and like to hear more on your travels with the inflatable. Probally the only thing I haven't tried yet. Just curious why you say it would have taken you 3-4 hours if you used a canoe. My canoe is pretty light. I have hiked in from the West side a few times and do hear Atv's from time to time. I understand there is a Atv trail from the East side around Minden comming down and across to the West side. I hope to head into QEII a few times this year comming in from Head lk or Sheldon lake area. This is a fantastic place in the winter.

RR

PostPosted: May 6th, 2012, 11:47 am 

My estimate of 3-4 hours was because the only route I could find was through a broken rock river bed, then down a marshy, mucky section of river (not deep enough for even the raft). Add onto that that all the land to each side of that is private, so the only legal way through was straight down the river bed. It would have been one heck of a slog with a canoe on your shoulders.

PostPosted: May 6th, 2012, 6:08 pm 

You will find the west side much flater and the swamps even thicker... :o
I have not tried the area of the park around riley lake but it looks to be more of a pond hopping ridge traveling type of area.
You could access the southern part via the Cranberry river, but you will be traveling through private land to get there. Use google earth it will show the boundries and you can plan your camping that way.
With your raft you could look into flying in. Jeff Meek a sometimes visitor here use to fly in all the time with his canoe before they changed the regs. that say what time of plane can carry boats on the pontoons. He base camped and paddled many of the routes that people like Stajanleafs and me are documenting now.
There are defiantly areas that need to be mapped.
Lots of things to find out there and with the way the Prov. omnibus budget bill affects public lands we will need help with input.
Jeff

Choosing to save a river is more often an act of passion than of careful calculation. You make the choice because the river has touched your life in an intimate and irreversible way, because you are unwilling to accept its loss. — (David Bolling, Ho

PostPosted: May 15th, 2012, 8:59 pm 

I got to go into to the park from Head lake paddling solo on Sat. Didn't go too far. got into Fishog then lake with no name and on to Long lake before turning around. Only saw one bear Just before Long lake. There was a group paddling into Fishog to camp. Hope to get back up there for at least an over nighter. Bugs were just starting to bite. Water levels were good.

Jedi Jeff when you said Riley lake is that the one just outside of Langford Twp? Lots of Atv traffic up around there and lots of trails. I've hiked in to the Park through the west side but it is getting tougher to access due to land issues.

RR