View topic - Up Wabakimi's Petawa Creek Without A Paddle

It is currently November 20th, 2019, 12:28 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: October 2nd, 2013, 7:51 pm 

If our paddle down Cliff Lake was the highlight of this summer's canoe trip in the northern reaches of the Greater Wabakimi Area (GWA for short!), then the day we spent going up Petawa Creek was the lowlight. For us the creek represented a fast way of getting to the Witchwood River and the Ogoki River system from the Albany.

In spite of the difficulties, my brother said just the other day - "You know, I'd go up Petawa Creek again. Knowing what we know now..." My response (clean version) - "Are you f---ing nuts?"

See here - http://wp.me/p25mXk-1Lx

for the details and let me know if you think my brother has a point!

Last edited by true_north on December 16th, 2016, 9:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: October 3rd, 2013, 6:48 am 

Up Wabakimi's Petawa Creek Without A Paddle

Please clarify.
By this you mean that paddles were excess baggage?

A literal mind is a little mind. If it's not worth doing to excess, it's not worth doing at all. Good enough isn't.  None are so blind as those who choose not to see. (AJ)

PostPosted: October 3rd, 2013, 7:05 am 

Once again, most excellent, and very detailed, I'm just as bummed out as you about the loss of that camera. If a fellow was to travel through there with a chainsaw, how many ports do you think would need to be carved out? Could a lot of the nastiness in the water be avoided with the addition of five or six ports?

PostPosted: October 5th, 2013, 7:31 am 

Allan - re:: your confusion about the paddle. I checked the time you read the post- it was before 7 a.m. - and wondered if it was because you hadn't injected your caffeine yet! Just do not file this trip report in the ultra light weight tripping folder because of that one paddle.

Rob - this fellow travelling through there with a chainsaw could be a brief description of you and your modus operandi! Petawa Creek's upper stretch has at least three sets of rapids where a portage trail would make a real difference. Adding five or six would eliminate all the tough spots. I have no idea how long it would take - it looks like quite the job. And I must admit - i wonder how many canoe trippers would use them and how long before they would revert to their present state.

PostPosted: October 5th, 2013, 10:24 am 

Thanks True_North for posting that TR! I enjoyed it.

PostPosted: October 7th, 2013, 2:03 pm 

Peter: All hail and well met! Your trip report fills in a critical gap in the route maps Barry Simon (aka 'Boneli') and I are putting together for Volume Four of our Wabakimi Canoe Route booklets (Albany River and Southern Tributaries - Patte Lake to Abazotikichuan Lak). You contribution moves us one giant step closer to achieving our goal to getting this next addition to our library of area canoe route maps published later this Fall. It's been a long time comin'.

For those planning a trip down the Albany River, Petawa Creek offers the most direct exit south to routes that ultimately lead to a road-accessible take-out or sharply reduce the cost of a float plane extraction. Your valiant effort to explore this route and to provide such excellent reporting detail will go a long way to eventually making it a doable option.

This past summer, volunteers of The Wabakimi Project completed exploration of the route from Patte Lake to Attwood Lake via Shabuskwia River, Shabuskwia Lake, Musgrave Lake, Kilbarry Lake and Luella Lake. This route will be included in Volume Four along with the Witchwood River route south from Hurst Lake to Whiteclay Lake, the remainder of the Attwood River system to Gowie Bay, as well as the Opichuan River south to Kagianagami Lake and a majority of the Cat Tail River backroute.

There's still much to do to make these routes viable for future visitors to the Greater Wabakimi Area. Anyone interested in following our "dawg" (our "Husky" as in Husqvarna) should step up and join one of our reconnaissance expeditions.

PostPosted: October 13th, 2013, 4:34 pm 

Hello true_north: Nice report. I am sorry to hear about the lost paddle and much more sorry to hear about the lost camera containing all of the pics and videos.

T ake care,
Cousin Pete

"Tradition means giving votes to the most obscure of all classes, our ancestors. It is the democracy of the dead. Tradition refuses to submit to that arrogant oligarchy who merely happen to be walking around." - G.K. Chesterton, Orthodoxy, 1908

PostPosted: October 13th, 2013, 7:38 pm 

Excellent TR, as usual, True_North. Thanks for posting.

Petawa Creek was our backup link to the south, if we couldn't find a connection between the Misehkow and Greenmantle Rivers and had to continue on to the Albany. The Greenmantle was tough enough, but I have never heard anything good about Petawa Creek.

Knowing its location to be a critical link, it must have been FAR more travelled in earlier times.

PostPosted: November 20th, 2013, 9:20 am 

:clap: :clap: :clap:

I constructed a Route entry from this post and the other four and posted it at
http://myccr.com/phpbbforum/viewtopic.php?f=107&t=34025
Suggestions for changes welcomed.

A literal mind is a little mind. If it's not worth doing to excess, it's not worth doing at all. Good enough isn't.  None are so blind as those who choose not to see. (AJ)

PostPosted: January 27th, 2014, 12:44 pm 

True_north, congratulations on completing your arduous struggle up Petawa Creek! And, thank you for your valuable information about this north south link that you have provided to the canoeing community. Reading this trip report and the one from the first part of your adventure down the Misehkow holds me in awe. Even though you two both suffered loses, the fact that you arrived safely with a wealth of information to pass on is greatly appreciated. Isn't it amazing that after hundreds or even thousands of years of mankind using these routes; good current information is so hard to find. Thanks, for the great reports!

PostPosted: January 27th, 2014, 10:13 pm 

That was fun to read, especially with the blizzards that have been blowing lately.

Thank you kindly for posting and sharing your journey!

PostPosted: February 3rd, 2014, 9:16 pm 

Voyageur wrote:
Peter: All hail and well met! Your trip report fills in a critical gap in the route maps Barry Simon (aka 'Boneli') and I are putting together for Volume Four of our Wabakimi Canoe Route booklets (Albany River and Southern Tributaries - Patte Lake to Abazotikichuan Lak). You contribution moves us one giant step closer to achieving our goal to getting this next addition to our library of area canoe route maps published later this Fall. It's been a long time comin'.

For those planning a trip down the Albany River, Petawa Creek offers the most direct exit south to routes that ultimately lead to a road-accessible take-out or sharply reduce the cost of a float plane extraction. Your valiant effort to explore this route and to provide such excellent reporting detail will go a long way to eventually making it a doable option.

This past summer, volunteers of The Wabakimi Project completed exploration of the route from Patte Lake to Attwood Lake via Shabuskwia River, Shabuskwia Lake, Musgrave Lake, Kilbarry Lake and Luella Lake. This route will be included in Volume Four along with the Witchwood River route south from Hurst Lake to Whiteclay Lake, the remainder of the Attwood River system to Gowie Bay, as well as the Opichuan River south to Kagianagami Lake and a majority of the Cat Tail River backroute.

There's still much to do to make these routes viable for future visitors to the Greater Wabakimi Area. Anyone interested in following our "dawg" (our "Husky" as in Husqvarna) should step up and join one of our reconnaissance expeditions.

Voyageur,

Do you or any of the other experienced paddlers in this thread ever present these trips at the WCA? The map that true north has posted is great for visualizing the route, the challenges one will encounter and would make a great basis for a presentation. Also, you mentioned to me in a previous email that you attend this function regularly. I only mention it here because I'm in Toronto for a client and it's killing me not to be able to stay over until this Friday when the symposium starts! However, if these are covered along with what I understand are the "far north" routes, then that gives me added incentive to get this symposium on my calendar for the future. I can always join the WCA now and attend later. I will be at the Canoecopia state-side though in a few weeks as well as the Midwest Mountaineering expo in my home town in April so I'll get my fill then of all things 'paddling'. Looking forward to both of those events and hopefully seeing/meeting many from this forum.

"Every great dream begins with a dreamer."

PostPosted: December 12th, 2017, 11:46 am 

So do you (or anybody else) know if they got back to finish cutting the portages on the creek?

PostPosted: December 15th, 2017, 5:55 pm 

ipaddle, I have it on good authority - i.e. Phil Cotton aka Voyageur - that the Wabakimi Project crew has not yet been back to Petawa Creek though it is on their bucket list.

Better bring that foldable saw of yours if you are thinking of spending a challenging day on the creek! And if you see Max's paddle - :thumbup:

PostPosted: December 21st, 2017, 8:14 pm 

So the two ends were last cut 5 years ago and the middle is impossible. Do we know anything about the condition of the ports on the long way around - through Gowie Bay etc?