View topic - Up Wabakimi's Petawa Creek Without A Paddle

It is currently November 21st, 2019, 4:08 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: December 22nd, 2017, 6:21 pm 

Quote:
So the two ends were last cut 5 years ago and the middle [of Petawa Creek] is impossible. Do we know anything about the condition of the ports on the long way around - through Gowie Bay etc?
The "middle" passage of Petawa Creek is challenging but not impossible as witnessed by true north's successful albeit difficult transit. Admittedly, the Wabakimi Project has not yet managed to spare the human/financial resources to rehabilitate this route or to find and retrieve his brother's lost paddle.

Volume Three of the Wabakimi Canoe Route Maps series of booklets contains complete details of the "long way around" from Gowie Bay upstream through the entire length of the Atwood Conservation Reserve to Whiteclay Lake. For information about this and other publications, check out: http://www.wabakimi.org/maps/index.shtml.

PostPosted: December 23rd, 2017, 6:17 pm 

Did you mean volume four? I think I will order one. My question was/is so far as the Wabakimi project (I am a member) is concerned, were the ports on the "long way around" last cut in 2012? If not, when?

PostPosted: December 24th, 2017, 6:30 pm 

Quote:
Did you mean volume four?
ipaddle: Forgive my error! On the eve of my 77th birthday, put it down to my having a "senior's moment". Hah!
Quote:
My question was/is so far as the Wabakimi project (I am a member) is concerned, were the ports on the "long way around" last cut in 2012? If not, when?
Good question! Let me explain . . .

The Wabakimi Project does not have the human and/or financial resources to re-visit and maintain Crown land canoe routes in the Wabakimi Area that volunteer participants have rehabilitated and documented (i.e., mapped). This responsibility will be assumed by Friends of Wabakimi (FOW), the not-for-profit organization founded in 2014 to assume responsibility for their continued maintenance, improvement, preservation and protection.

You are correct that 2012 was the last year the "long way around" route was visited by volunteer reconnaissance expeditions of the Wabakimi Project. Since then, several of our 'contributors' have travelled this route and reported it's still doable.

I encourage you and readers of this thread to visit the Wabakimi Area and to help FOW maintain and continue to publish accurate, up-to-date canoe route maps by submitting detailed trip reports of their journeys.

PostPosted: December 25th, 2017, 4:35 pm 

[quote= You are correct that 2012 was the last year the "long way around" route was visited by volunteer reconnaissance expeditions of the Wabakimi Project. Since then, several of our 'contributors' have traveled this route and reported it's still doable. [/quote]

That is quite an important piece of information. Thank you!

I have more questions but they may be getting too far off the topic of this thread. I think I will start a new thread entitled Kagianagami lake.

PostPosted: June 14th, 2018, 8:42 pm 

I remember Petawa well from my paddle with Chuck Ryan nearly 10 years ago. We had extremely high water most of the way and had opened the highwater portages all the way north to the Albany. When we got to Petawa we were trail hardened, but the conditions we found there were pretty severe. We had a pair of the big Corona fixed blade saws, and cut our way bottom to top, including large deadfalls which completely blocked passage. we found no recent saw work, but i did find a new fishing lure still in the package, so someone had been there maybe a few years earlier. You can't miss our saw work, it's everywhere. I nearly cut off a thumb with the saw on that creek, ya know, just in case we needed a little more drama.

There were some old portages on the creek besides the lower portage (which we didn't use). The portage locations were included on the annotated color trip map I sent Phil (RIP) when I got home, so all the info should be in the Project archives.

We didn't see any other paddlers on the entire trip, but did find a Mattice fishing boat near the top of Petawa, they were not happy to see us. We asked them to report the encounter to Don when they flew back in just so someone would know we had advanced that far, but we later found out that they never reported the sighting.

Coincidentally, Chuck dropped a paddle on the Albany, ordinarily not a big deal, but the water was extremely high and fast, and the boat could advance at 10mph without paddling. I made a one shot grab when we caught up to it, lucky, ya don't want to lose a carbon Zaveral.