View topic - Quetico 3 Week Solo - Photos

It is currently August 12th, 2020, 5:27 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: February 28th, 2015, 8:56 am 

After the coldest February on record here in southern Ontario, I thought it might be a good idea to post these photos - from my Quetico solo last summer. From the main page, click "explore the images" to launch the gallery.

http://mikemonaghan.ca/?page_id=343

Enjoy!

www.mikemonaghan.ca

PostPosted: February 28th, 2015, 9:04 am 

Wow! Some beautiful photos. Makes me think I need to get a red canoe!

PostPosted: February 28th, 2015, 9:43 am 

Very nice and your right that was a long month and no end in sight. Thanks for posting the awesome pics.

PostPosted: February 28th, 2015, 11:52 am 

Wow! You just get better and better.

Let's see....Classic static nature shots, amazingly well composed, gorgeous colour? Check!(The long storm cloud curling around the lake, wow)

Wildlife captured true to life? Check! (That loon! I could feel the downy softness on the back of its neck. That sparrow spotted through the bush. Oh yeah.)

Texture? Check! (The pine bark, rock and fern, yep, well done. In fact, the whole set was a study in texture. Bravo.)

Water in motion? Check! (The pic of you sitting by the rapid where it enters the lake...very nice.)

Canoe tripping iconification--sorry can't think of a term for this---Check!

To be honest, the canoe with paddle reversed on top of the packs, and the brooks in motion, and some of the posed canoe tripping stuff are not my personal favourites, just a bit posed for my taste. The ones that really caught my eye were the ones i've never seen before, or that had an interesting element, like the blue painter rope snaking up to the tree in the shot of you packing your canoe--never seen a shot of someone packing their canoe, and the blue line made it real. The canoe sitting on the ancient beaver dam at the swamp entrance. Again, a great and unusual pic. The red shirt hanging on the tree...the angle was superb.

So many great shots. I can't imagine how long it took you to set some of them up or wait for the perfect light. Thanks for posting these. Really made my Saturday morning. Makes me want to take a course and learn how to wield a camera to take at least one picture in my life like yours.

PostPosted: February 28th, 2015, 8:51 pm 

Your superb photography provides an invigorating tonic for the February blues.
Thanks for sharing your talents. I can almost feel spring just around the corner.
Thanks Mike.

PostPosted: March 1st, 2015, 1:06 pm 

Nice shots! Now can you put in a call to someone to have the S. Ontario weather changed to this immediately? lol You MUST know a guy...

Instagram: http://instagram.com/man_camping

PostPosted: March 1st, 2015, 1:25 pm 

@ looped...

The forecast calls for a high of 1ºC on Tuesday. After all of the brutal cold we've endured (I work outside) I'd say that's nearly Speedo weather!

www.mikemonaghan.ca

PostPosted: March 1st, 2015, 1:40 pm 

ahahahahahaha fair enough!

Please do NOT post photos of your Tuesday outfit. lol

Instagram: http://instagram.com/man_camping

PostPosted: March 1st, 2015, 4:41 pm 
CCR Assistant Administrator

I first tried to look at this on my phone then on a tablet. But, couldn't on either because of Flash Player issues.

I was all ready to say great pics (expected) but I wish you included some stories or a trip report. I would like to know where you went, what you experiences were, how your trip was...

Then I saw your pics. WOW, just wow! I have no idea how you top yourself with each trip but you do. Thanks for sharing them.

TR would still be nice ;)

PostPosted: March 1st, 2015, 6:31 pm 

Mike, as always - wow! You must have had fun picking your favourite 57 shots from a month of tripping and shooting! I'm betting there are another 275 sitting there for potential sequels!!

Excellent composition combined with a good measure of patience result in iconic photos of the Canadian Shield country we all love. While I have a feeling I wrote the same thing the last time I went through one of your portfolios, I must say that I always come away from your images with the intention of putting a bit more into my snapshots.

Thanks for posting..and for providing some inspiration for this summer's canoe trip.

Like Martin, I first tried to look at the images on my iPad last night. Damn - no flash!

PostPosted: March 3rd, 2015, 1:49 pm 

Mike, I recall seeing a couple of your excellent images in the current Canoeroots.

PostPosted: March 3rd, 2015, 4:11 pm 

Good photography, but the bright colors are so much off - in my opinion the post-production does the pictures disfavor. Sorry, I know that critique is kind of out of fashion.

PostPosted: March 3rd, 2015, 7:42 pm 

@ Eddy Turn - just curious, have you had your computer monitor calibrated? The images don't appear too saturated on my screen. It could be a preference thing, or there may be a difference due to screen set-up. Not sure.

Critiques are welcome.

www.mikemonaghan.ca

PostPosted: March 4th, 2015, 7:44 pm 

Very nice photography. A couple of shots looked like they might have been taken on Lake Agnes, where we spent most of our time in July, 1973.

PostPosted: March 4th, 2015, 8:55 pm 

Beautiful photos in a beautiful setting. I particularly like 49/57 as it feels immersive to me. Its as if I'm there in that boat.