View topic - Round Lake Route

It is currently September 18th, 2019, 3:00 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Round Lake Route
PostPosted: March 28th, 2015, 11:17 am 

On the August Long weekend, we headed off to a little known gem of a canoe route North of Parry Sound. The route would see us paddle through Nine Mile Lake towards the Shawanaga River and back via Round Lake as a central point. As we left behind Round Lake, it was evident few paddle this route as we resorted bushwhacking a few short portages. This route would make a great intro for those seeking a expedition/uncharted route.

There is no camping within the Round Lake Provincial Nature Preserve, so you have to make your way through Round, Burnt and Fox. It's a shame as Round is a gorgeous lake! Clear waters and numerous pine clad islands! I recommend at least breaking for lunch or swimming here.

The portages to Wallace are evident untill you reach a swampy lake north of Burnt. The beavers have been hard at work creating a dry creek. We resorted to bushwhacking through the open forest instead of dragging through a swampy channel.

Coming off the Shawanaga River to Birch Lake, you could run the rapids or portages (800m) and then connect to another 900m portage, or bushwhack through open forest and small lakes for 300m. We opted for the latter and it proved extremely easy. The route from Birch to Round has seen some historical use, but any sign of a distinct trail has all but vanished. We noticed some old blazes and boat chances but the paths likely haven't been traveled in over a decade at the very least. We resorted to bushwhacking over bogs and open barrens. Relatively easy (probably easier than some established portages!), just bring a compass or GPS so you don't end up in the middle of nowhere!

Attachment:
File comment: Campsite on Nine Mile
_8026913.jpg
_8026913.jpg [ 565.95 KiB | Viewed 3330 times ]

Attachment:
File comment: Paddling Round Lake
_8026935.jpg
_8026935.jpg [ 433.38 KiB | Viewed 3330 times ]

Attachment:
File comment: Swampy Lake near Wallace
_8026942.jpg
_8026942.jpg [ 661.51 KiB | Viewed 3330 times ]

Attachment:
File comment: Shawanaga River, below rapids
_8026954.jpg
_8026954.jpg [ 686.47 KiB | Viewed 3330 times ]

Attachment:
File comment: Birch Lake campsite
_8036965.jpg
_8036965.jpg [ 467.46 KiB | Viewed 3330 times ]

Attachment:
File comment: Birch Lake
_8036969.jpg
_8036969.jpg [ 420 KiB | Viewed 3330 times ]

Attachment:
File comment: Boggy bushwhack on Fox Lake
_8036994.jpg
_8036994.jpg [ 660.57 KiB | Viewed 3330 times ]

Attachment:
File comment: Swap along the Nine Mile-Wolf portage
_8037017.jpg
_8037017.jpg [ 637.17 KiB | Viewed 3330 times ]

My Backcountry Website: www.explorethebackcountry.com

Post subject: Re: Round Lake Route
PostPosted: March 30th, 2015, 7:55 pm 

Nice photos and video! Is there a public landing for parking? I see Nine Mile Lake Beach Park....

PostPosted: March 30th, 2015, 8:25 pm 

Very nice. That's an area I've been interested in for a while, although I was more interested in going into Wiwassa from the hwy and fish for bass. Should be good, I would think! Did you fish at all on your trip?

BT---the put in at 9 mile has the best parking and ease of entry that I have ever seen for a canoe route! :thumbup:

Old canoeists never die---they just smell that way.

PostPosted: March 30th, 2015, 8:34 pm 

wotrock wrote:
Very nice. That's an area I've been interested in for a while, although I was more interested in going into Wiwassa from the hwy and fish for bass. Should be good, I would think! Did you fish at all on your trip?

BT---the put in at 9 mile has the best parking and ease of entry that I have ever seen for a canoe route! :thumbup:

Yup, the two bass in the video were caught on Birch Lake. Pulled them both up within 5 mins of fishing! Great fishing on that lake. A hit each cast in the far sourthern bay.

Yeah that parking lot is great! You could probably park 50 cars there!

PostPosted: March 31st, 2015, 8:18 am 

Sorry, but I hadn't watched the video-----sound trouble on my computer. We were on Birch on Vic day a few years back. Bass season wasn't open so I didn't fish. There's a site there where some folks from our outdoor club put a T box a few years ago

Looks like a lot of water on that river for Aug! We lined most of it when we went.

The other thing I would like to try is to go to Lake Wiwass via the creek that dumps into the top end of Black Oak. Looks quite doable.

Old canoeists never die---they just smell that way.

PostPosted: March 31st, 2015, 10:12 am 

Is nine mile lake road car friendly? Did there seem to be many/any of our friend the motorboats on it? Will see vid soon thanks

Thanks for promoting new spots, helps spread us out eh. Keeping the nature uncrowded.

PostPosted: March 31st, 2015, 10:50 am 

old report from but some more info

http://www.myccr.com/canoedb/routeDetai ... outeid=658

PostPosted: March 31st, 2015, 11:14 am 

steve.of.london wrote:
Is nine mile lake road car friendly? Did there seem to be many/any of our friend the motorboats on it?.

Nine Mile road is great. It's an access road for the cottagers and is kept in excellent condition. There are boats on Nine Mile, but as development is limited to the southern reaches of the lake, traffic in the northern part is limited. The big powerboats seemed to stay in the south when we paddled.

wotrock wrote:
There's a site there where some folks from our outdoor club put a T box a few years ago

We ended up making our own site.... We got shot at from some drunken hooligans in the north end of the lake. They were camped on a prime site and shooting at another prime island site... As we rounded the bend we made our presence known. We waved and they waved. Then they kept shooting! Intoxicated shooting 100ft from a canoeist is NOT cool! Needless to say I kinda lost it. We paddled to the south bay, far away from them and enjoyed a quiet evening.

They came in from Black Oak (800m port).

PostPosted: March 31st, 2015, 2:52 pm 

Gun fire. Wow, what can you say about that. I always hoped that stuff just went on in the deep south or some other inbred area I'd never go back country in. Looks like a another good option. With some luck I'll never run across drunks n guns anywhere. Hope that's not their favorite place.....

PostPosted: April 5th, 2015, 5:41 pm 

Stajanleafs wrote:
We ended up making our own site.... We got shot at from some drunken hooligans ...

Hope you reported them

Thanks for the trip report. I'm looking for a one night loop trip or a destination/return trip that is part way between Sudbury and Stouffville and yours sounds promising. Did you keep a log of GPS locates on the portages?

PostPosted: April 6th, 2015, 7:16 am 

Thanks for the info - I have been meaning to go up Nine Mile Lake and beyond, but I didn't know if I would find parking. I will check sometime this year.

PostPosted: April 8th, 2015, 9:10 pm 

Realstone wrote:
I'm looking for a one night loop trip or a destination/return trip that is part way between Sudbury and Stouffville and yours sounds promising. Did you keep a log of GPS locates on the portages?

I have a GPS log, send me a PM with your e-mail and I can send it your way!

PostPosted: April 9th, 2015, 8:36 am 

Pm sent. Thanks!

PostPosted: February 24th, 2016, 11:12 am 

We did a early July trip into the area and thought I'd add some info.

From nine mile lake when the portage to the north starts to seem to peter out and you tend to want to go up the hill don't, stay to the left side of the hill edge where it gets narrow and a bit mucky.

Upper Marsh lake has a hunt fish camp in the north west corner. This is where we ran across two of most sexist foulmouthed(words travel across water nicely at times)vile beasts of men. There is some way they can bring in a car to blast tunes. They periodically fired off highpowered rifle. The following day two older 70ish guys arrived at their camp and all of a sudden all that crap stopped.

So can be a good lake or a bad lake depending on if the wrong dudes are there. (As they say they walk among us. Met a number of great people last year, they were the flipside.)

Cya all Steve

PostPosted: February 24th, 2016, 12:57 pm 

steve.of.london wrote:
There is some way they can bring in a car to blast tunes.

Round Lake Road (unsigned from 69) runs by the Hunt Camp. Unfortunate access to an otherwise peaceful region. Take the short portage to Round Lake, motors, camping and fishing aren't allowed but it makes a great spot to paddle, swim and have a picnic.