View topic - Misadventure in Algonquin Park

It is currently August 9th, 2020, 12:39 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: June 1st, 2016, 8:38 am 

C. Potvin wrote:
We were in the same corner of the park as you. Our trip was LoTR - Rock, Rock - Louisa, Louisa - Head, Head - LoTR.

Our party included Momma, myself, a 5 yr old and an 8 yr old, all in one canoe with gear.

It was a beauty weekend to be out! Thanks for reading, and glad you had a good trip!

Photographer | Blogger | Outdoors Woman | Canoeing | Camping | Hiking | Connecting with Nature | Landscape, Nature, and Wildlife Photography

PostPosted: May 20th, 2017, 4:20 pm 

We have a cottage up at the mouth of the French/Bad River, our vets have always told us to have Benadryl in case of rattlesnake bites. We've had several cats and dogs get bitten and they do swell up. So if you suspect your pet has been bitten by a rattlesnake them give Benadryl. We have never had a pet die from a rattlesnake bite. They seem to do better with rattlesnake bites then humans. 2015 my 8 year old son spent 4 days in ICU at Parry Sound Hospital and went through 18 vials of anti-venom.

PostPosted: May 31st, 2017, 10:24 am 

Some great information for dog owners regarding items to carry. It's a shame that when a scary situation like that happens that some people are afraid to give advice because of liability. Glad the pup ended up being okay.

Sam

PostPosted: May 31st, 2017, 11:18 am 

I have zero experience with rattlesnake bites. My first canoe dog got bit a few times by horseflies at Peterbell and her face swelled up so bad she looked like a shar pei. The swelling went down the next day and she did not have a reaction like that again.

My dog Ichy has been on numerous trips without incident.

One component of your first aid kit should be pliers. Pliers and meloxicam. Ich was extremely close to getting quilled a few years ago and thank goodness I was able to grab him before it happened. I bring pliers just in case. Meloxicam would help some with pain.

Dogs are animals. They are meant to be outside and there is zero reasons not to take them camping. A canoe dog is perhaps the greatest life a dog can have! I shake my head when I hear of people leaving their dogs at home...exception being your paddling in too dangerous conditions...most people I hear of who leave their dogs at home are NOT paddling in dangerous conditions. I don't get that...why have a dog?