View topic - Paddling Around Georgian Bay's Philip Edward Island

It is currently October 19th, 2019, 7:53 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: July 1st, 2016, 8:03 am 

My bro and i lucked into a nice stretch of weather last week as we paddled around Georgian Bay’s Philip Edward island. We included a visit to most of the islands of the Foxes group in our first trip ever to this paddlers’ paradise just S of Killarney Provincial Park.

The fact that we were out there from a Monday to Thursday meant that we pretty much had the route to ourselves, seeing only one kayak and one canoe and on the Collins Inlet stretch a few boats .

The Philip Edward loop is a great little canoe trip that
    does not require pre-booking camp sites ,
    where you can camp on Crown land (free for Ontario residents)
    no portaging required
    stunning coast scenery
    a pictograph site on the Collins Inlet side

I’ve uploaded some pix and maps of our little 60 kilometer paddle which you can access via the link below.

https://albinger.me/2016/06/29/paddling ... -part-one/

Last edited by true_north on December 16th, 2016, 6:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: July 1st, 2016, 8:24 am 

Spectacular report and I appreciate the detail. I'm hoping to get my wife out there later this summer for more than a day trip. Your pictures are shockingly beautiful, and I can't believe you lucked out with the wind. I was on the upper French at the same time and the wind was bad.
20 more years, eh?

Shawn http://myselfreliance.com/ https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIMXKi ... q2UJePJEog

PostPosted: July 1st, 2016, 11:33 am 

A wonderful report and great pictures. Makes me want to add it to my paddle list.
Dan

PostPosted: July 1st, 2016, 12:18 pm 

I'm glad to read that you boys had a successful cruise around PEI. I discovered Philip Edward many years ago, and have since done at least 15 trips in the area. I tend to avoid the Collins Inlet in summer, opting to paddle the coast & return meandering a slightly different course back along the coast.

A few years back my wife & I got a local fellow to shuttle us from Britt, on the Byng inlet, to Chikanishing in our car, returning it to his house in Britt. He was an older gent, and he had a wealth of stories about growing up on Georgian Bay. One of the points in the area is named for his grandfather. We kayaked PEI, then zig-zagged some of the French river channels before heading east, then south to finish our trip back in Britt. A highly recommended trip if you've got about 8-9 days. You could do it in less perhaps, but why would you want to?

Send me a PM if you want my shuttle driver's contact info for future reference. You could also arrange a shuttle through White Squall, but it's more expensive. Also, our shuttle driver let us park in his driveway, saving us having to pay for secure parking around Britt.

www.mikemonaghan.ca

PostPosted: July 1st, 2016, 1:53 pm 

Misty Hollow - you could always take that stripper you've been seeing! As long as your relationship can weather some wind and waves you should be fine!

Self reliance - your wife will love the views and the Bay side campsites. Do yourselves a favour and don't bother with the Collins Inlet stretch - just paddle back along the Georgian Bay side. It will look 180º different and just as stunning!

Canoeguitar - before we left I went to your website to check out your Georgian Bay photos for some inspiration on possible shots! It's clear you've spent a bit of time up in the Bay. A gentle intro to paddling Lake Superior!

http://mikemonaghan.ca/greatlakescoast/

It is funny that you should mention the shuttle idea - we were already considering exactly that for our next visit. Key Harbour or Britt would make for a nice destination from the Chikanishing put-in and would keep us on the Bay. While we are happy to have done the Collins Inlet stretch this once, given a choice the Georgian Bay side has everything that it doesn't - from great campsites to incredible hilltop viewpoints to eye-candy-like coastal topography. It all comes down to the weather playing nice!

I'll get in touch when the trip down the Bay coast starts taking shape! Thanks.

PostPosted: July 1st, 2016, 2:13 pm 

I've sent for my map.. We are doing LSPP and might want to drop down on the way home and do this.
Thanks for sharing..

PostPosted: July 1st, 2016, 3:10 pm 

true-north,

I had that lovely lady out in 35 km headwinds last week paddling as a double kayak with my wife, and she handled a dream. We were building enough speed that we could alternately take rests, and just have one of us paddling.

Dan

PostPosted: July 1st, 2016, 4:50 pm 

MistyHollow, it's been a week since I saw that click bait thread title of yours ("I've been seeing a stripper and I think I like her") and I still chuckle every time it comes into my mind!

Sounds like you've got a good thing going with a couple of great paddling companions!

PostPosted: July 3rd, 2016, 1:36 pm 

Excellent trip report, True_north! One of my favourite paddling destinations, although I've yet to paddle on the "inside" down Collins Inlet. Liked the info on the pictographs and the birds-eye view shots of the island groups. I hope to get out there before the end of the season. Thank you for sharing.

PostPosted: July 3rd, 2016, 6:57 pm 

Will be going back this summer for our 5th visit! Always a great location....

"The way of a canoe is the way of the wilderness, and of a freedom almost forgotten." Sigurd Olson, 1956

PostPosted: July 5th, 2016, 2:36 pm 

Fantastic account.
You wrote that you checked our book for any evidence that the Group of Seven had been there.
Although Tom Thomson and the group seem to have explored much of Georgian Bay, I haven't found anything that they did between Killarney and the French River. (Thomson sketched at the mouth of the French and paddled up it.)
They usually travelled by train and then canoe so they would not have had a convenient way to Philip Edward Island. Too bad.