View topic - Sakatawi 2016

It is currently August 11th, 2020, 5:14 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Sakatawi 2016
PostPosted: January 14th, 2017, 5:31 pm 

As you may recall, we’ve been traveling the waters of Sakatawi and attempting to both improve the portages and convince some of you to use this forgotten area since 2008.

2016 was planned to be an easy year where we would retrace the path we established in 2015 from Wenakoshi Lake to Pebonishewi Lake.

This year we’d clean up the 1.6km portage, remove some of the sharp turns and narrow spots and have an easier time carrying our gear over.

We wanted to spend a month on the water without having to loop back to our truck to pick up supplies so we again arranged with Ivanhoe Air to fly us into Rice Lake where we’d spend two weeks on Rice, Northpoint and Wenakoshi Lakes before working our way over to Pebonishewi for the last two weeks.

Ivanhoe Air is very busy on Friday, Saturday and Sunday as they get people out to one of their 27 outpost camps and bring back the previous guests.

Check and resupply flights are scheduled for Wednesday and Thursday so we piggybacked on the Wednesday flights to get into Rice, get our resupply delivered to Pebonishewi and to finally fly back from Pebonishewi.

On July 26th as we drove north on 144 in the area of the Sultan road we could see that there had been a winter system that had bent and toppled more than a few trees along the highway so we were wondering what lay ahead on our planned “easy cleanup” of that 1.6km portage.

After an overnight stay in one of Ivanhoe’s lodge units we were up and at the dock ready for our 8:30 flight … and a smooth one it was. We were on Rice north by 9:30 and since the wind was fairly calm we decided to paddle to a site on Rice south.

We stayed here for three days and did some exploring and the obligatory fishing … day 2 dinner shown here ..

Moving to our favorite site on Rice north was a bit of a disappointment … it had sustained a bit of wind damage and so required a two-hour cleanup before we could settle in … but we soon had the tent and tarp up and a pot of coffee brewing.

By the way, fishing here is still very good

Time to move to Northpoint … it’s only a three hour paddle up a lazy river and the beauty of Northpoint is that Ivanhoe does not operate that camp in July and August so we’re there by ourselves unless people from Rice decide to make the trip by motorboat which is not easy due to a couple of beaver dams.

I’ve said it before but it’s worth repeating … the fishing in this chain of lakes is very good.

Too much of a good thing … let’s move to Wenakoshi and face the task of clearing that portage and getting our stuff to Pebonishewi.

As expected the portage needed more than a little care … after six hours of walking and cutting we were back on Wenakoshi needing a swim and a bath.
The fishing is better in Pebonishewi so we tackled the portage the next day … it took us four hours … my 76 year old body can’t dance across portages the way it used to … but we made it in good spirits.

After a good long drink we paddled to our intended campsite only to find it completely blown in. This is a site that we spent several hours on last year … it provided both good swimming and fishing as well as a great vista … oh well.
We had another site further south so we headed there and fortunately it was unscathed.

Pebonishewi did not disappoint … we had built three campsites last year and visited each of them … we also constructed a new site to replace the one that was blown in.
Fishing here is still great …

We portaged south to Owatawetness for an exploratory trip … there were no places that called out to us for camping … the lake is shallow.
After exploring we decided to fish our way back north and were rewarded with a nice bass and walleye combo …. We brought these back to Pebonishewi for dinner.

We flew out on August 24th in great weather.

What do we have to do to get you to visit this area?
I’m coming to the end of my canoeing years … maybe a couple left yet … but this area needs to get used if the portages are to be kept open.

Here's a map of our trip with the portages marked ...

For background information on the Sakatawi route and our attempts to keep it open see ...
http://www.canoecouple.com/Adventures/Sakatawi/Sakatawi.html
Need info? ... Just ask.

Post subject: Re: Sakatawi 2016
PostPosted: January 15th, 2017, 7:24 pm 

Thanks for the report and your hard work keeping the trails open.

Congrats on the fish.

PostPosted: January 17th, 2017, 12:11 pm 

Thanks for the trip. :clap:

Keep 'em coming.

PostPosted: January 17th, 2017, 12:42 pm 

you guys truly are my heroes!
thank you so much for all your hard work,
with documenting, maintaining and sharing this beautiful area.

PostPosted: October 31st, 2017, 3:30 pm 

Nice. This isn't too far south of me now. Be keen to check it out next summer.
How long is the drive to the Opeepeesway river bridge? Is the old access road to Jerome still driveable?

My Backcountry Website: www.explorethebackcountry.com

PostPosted: November 2nd, 2017, 5:26 pm 

Stajanleafs

The turnoff to the Mallard road is about 45km from the intersection of 144 and the Watershed.
Then it's about 25 km to the bridge.
Use Google Earth to see the roads and intersections so you don't take a wrong turn.
I have not tried the Jerome Road since about 2000 and the notice that the bridge over Cordes creek was to be removed. However, people are getting to the old town site so there may be a way to traverse the road.

If you travel to the bridge you'll find lots of parking available and it makes a good jumping off place to explore the area.

There is also the possibility of starting up the Rush Lake road and turning off to Mallard Lake as a starting point. This can be a bit of a mud hole so I wouldn't venture here without a 4 wheel drive vehicle and a chainsaw ... the saw is in case you need to cut your way in or out.

The Rush Lake road also extends to Rush Lake ... it's very narrow ... you'll scratch your vehicle on the brush ... and there's a steep downhill at Rush Lake ... you need a 4 wheel drive vehicle here.

I'll post a Sakatawi 2017 trip report with some pictures.

PostPosted: November 9th, 2017, 8:24 am 

"Props" for your decades-long work on the Sakatawi canoe route. I'm sure your posts have drawn more than a few paddlers to consider the area when looking for their next adventure!

I'm curious about the word Sakatawi since it did not register with any of the topo map searches I used. Other than your posts and a 1995 WCA Nastawgan trip report "Sakatawi" does not come up very often. Would you know the origin of the term? Does it refer to a river or lake?

Also, I'll admit to being confused about exactly what Sakatawi Canoe Route refers to? Does it refer specifically to the height-of-land portage from the top of Biscotasi Lake to Opeepeeways lake via Little Arbutus Lake, Dismal Lake, Stony Lake, and Arbutus Lake? Or does it have a wider meaning to include other lakes neighbouring lakes and portages?

Thanks again for your labour of love on your slice of canoe country! You got me thinking of a trip from Biscotasing to Fauquier down the Groundhog via the Sakatawi Canoe Route!

PostPosted: March 1st, 2018, 11:41 am 

It is my intent to go into this area in August. Is the creek that goes from Rice to Rush lake navigable or were you able to give it a try. I was also curious about getting from Rice to Little Rice. Maybe Sakatawl is just a misspelling of "sock it to me" from the laugh-in days. Thanks for all your work.

PostPosted: March 1st, 2018, 3:28 pm 

Looks like an incredible area! Going to go do some research on it.

Thanks for clearing the portages! :)

Instagram: http://instagram.com/man_camping