View topic - The Little Missinaibi River From Top To Bottom

It is currently August 14th, 2020, 10:10 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: July 24th, 2017, 8:17 am 

There are a few ways of getting to Little Missinaibi Lake. In mid-June my brother and I chose an approach not often taken - the one down the Little Missinaibi River into Little Missinaibi Lake from its headwaters just north of Windermere Lake at Healey Bay.

We found a do-able river that just needs a few canoe tripping groups to go down it on a regular basis to tame some of the narrower stretches of the river!

We spent 3 1/2 days on the 45-kilometer upper stretch south of Little Lake Missinaibi. We then continued on to Fairy Point and the train stop at Missanabie for a train ride back to Healey Bay.

If you are looking for an alternative approach to Little Missinaibi Lake - and are up to a few challenges - our post should give you a good idea of what to expect!

https://albinger.me/2017/07/21/the-litt ... logistics/

If you’re interested in the the day-by-day details it begins with this Day 1 post - From Healey Bay to Ramhill Lake.

https://albinger.me/2017/07/06/canoeing ... hill-lake/

PostPosted: July 24th, 2017, 8:44 am 

You guys are freaking awesome.

PostPosted: July 24th, 2017, 9:08 am 

A quick looks shows me that you have once again put together a fantastic trip report that others can use to make their trip a lot easier. I will be back this winter to really relish this presentation.

I have just finished going through your Bloodvein River report from a few years ago and gleaning the fine details that are so hard to find in other sources. Thank you for the extra time you put into your reports.

PostPosted: October 7th, 2017, 8:06 pm 

As usual, a fantastic report! I can well imagine what a distraction the SAR incident became even as the trip progressed beyond the event itself. I've subscribed to SPOT services during approx. 25 summer and winter backcountry trips since 2013, and often consider just what a rescue might look like. Incredible that the device triggered a false alarm!
My wife and I tripped the Upper Miss. in 1991 and the lower in 1993. Your report sews the seeds for a possible return to the region. Yes, that's 25 years ago, but I've been a great believer in the old saying about it not being over until the fat lady sings. I probably won't even hear her hit the high notes anyway unless I take the time to invest in a good hearing aid! BTW, my son and I made it to the Bloodvein this summer. Of course we loved it. I'd annotated much of your report's info onto our topos. Thanks again for that! Just prior to our departure you recommended we go light with our Kevlar Novacraft Tripper. We did, and it was great on the carries and quick on the flats ( and as you well know, the river is mostly flatwater), but a very wet ride in the rapids, even in the Class One's. No regrets on thechoice of boat, though. This forum really is a treasure: so many doors opening onto amazing experiences and places. Funny, you mentioned in your report the Kokatat pants. Recped, of Bloodvein fame and myriad other rivers, had recommended these some time last year, and I just received my pair from MEC in the mail a couple of weeks ago. I'm hoping to get a late-season trip in where I can get those booties wet! Thanks again, true_north for posting your report.

PostPosted: October 10th, 2017, 9:59 am 

As you can imagine by the time we got home we were tired of thinking about that 2:30 a.m. campsite visit by the SAR team from CFB Trenton! It is all the folks at home wanted to talk about. However, when I phoned Spot - on two different occasions - they didn't want to talk about it at all! We still have no idea how the device sent off the SOS message; we did not peel away the cover and press that SOS button! All we know is it got wet and the lights went off!

A month later I ended up getting the Garmin inReach Explorer+. I took it on a kayak trip down the Georgian Bay coast and the two-way communication feature was definitely a step up in usefulness. It was overkill on that trip because for most of it we had cellphone coverage!

And the Spot? Back home weeks later I put some batteries in to see what would happen. It worked! During the six years we used it it had worked as advertised. In August they sent me a "Come back to Spot; we miss you" email and offered a year's service for $50. U.S. instead of the regular $200. I actually took their offer. So now we've got a Spot Connect and an InReach!

Both have a waterproof rating of IPX7. I keep both in a waterproof pouch that has a rating of IPX8. Even keeping it in a zip loc bag would be an upgrade for waterproofness!

Re; the report. Always good to hear they are of use to other paddlers. As usual, it is nothing if not obsessively thorough! Not everyone needs or wants that level of detail but for those that do - there it is!

PostPosted: October 30th, 2017, 3:02 pm 

Another supurbe trip report, and a million thanks.

PostPosted: November 1st, 2017, 6:40 pm 

true_north...You create the best trip reports on CCR - hands down. All of your detailed reports, complete with photos, maps and logistics information are a fantastic resource for all who endeavour to follow in your footsteps. I'm sure it is a lot of work to put these excellent reports together, and your efforts are greatly appreciated. Always an enjoyable and informative read.

Cheers!
Mike

www.mikemonaghan.ca