View topic - Looking for a route without open water

It is currently August 11th, 2020, 5:54 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: July 26th, 2017, 4:03 pm 

[color=#008000]Hello everyone!
We are booked to go to the Massassauga for the Civic weekend BUT one of our party has a canoe that actual sunk - yes sunk in the Head River after crossing Head Lake going into Queen Elizabeth II Wildlands last weekend. Able to retrieve the canoe - and they still want to use it but it sits VERY low in the water with them and no equipment. So I don't think we will be able to get across the Wood's Bay.
We are looking for a route that can take 8 people / 4 canoes - in which we can avoid most open water. Any suggestions?
[/color]

PostPosted: July 26th, 2017, 5:24 pm 

That sounds a little crazy to me - get another canoe. Chip in 8 ways on a rental if you have to.

PostPosted: July 26th, 2017, 6:02 pm 

↑ This.

It seems high risk to take that craft out again. A rental split 8 ways would probably be just a few bucks a day and would be a lot safer than a sinking vessel. It's really not worth the risk cause at the end of the day, if it sinks again and you can't retrieve it this time around, you now have 8 people and 8 people's gear divided into 3 canoes. This puts the rest of the group at an unnecessary risk and increases the potential for loss.

PostPosted: July 27th, 2017, 5:38 am 

You need to fix the canoe first. It may be that it has air pockets at the bow and stern that have become water pockets due to a leak. In the early 1970s I had a canoe like that, the air chambers would fill with water and need to be emptied. I never fixed it as it was never a real problem, just a nuisance. It may be that some other form of flotation the canoe originally cam with is now missing. It should be easy to replace the missing bouyancy.

PostPosted: July 27th, 2017, 7:08 pm 

In your group pick the 2 persons who annoy you the most. Et cetera.
But if that sounds like too much fun, then yes, replace the waterlogged barge with a more reliable loaner or rental. Seriously, I wouldn't let anyone take the risk.