View topic - 2 nights on Byers - Thanksgiving Weekend (pic heavy)

It is currently September 18th, 2020, 10:02 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: October 16th, 2017, 7:32 pm 

Byers Lake is so secluded from the rest of Algonquin Park that it gives off a different sort of vibe – I almost didn’t feel like I was in Algonquin at all. But I enjoyed Byers Lake and Scorch Lake, and the lookout was also very nice.

Full trip report with pictures and campsite info here: https://algonquinbeyond.com/trip-report ... yers-lake/

Last edited by TrippyThings on May 21st, 2019, 7:06 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: October 23rd, 2017, 9:32 am 

Great pictures. I think you made a good decision with the shorter drive.

You brought back some memories. A friend and I crossed the park from Kiosk to Benoir this summer. Our last day's travel was from Cauliflower to Benoir, but we stopped for a swim and lunch on that site you chose. There was a small patch of blackberry bushes at the waterfront that added nicely to our lunch.

North of you from Little Branch to Little Hay is a little hairy, to say the least. We lost the trails frequently, but with high water and a bit of grit, it was easy going where ever the York showed passage. Supposed to be specks up that way but I can't imagine many people make the trek into that neck of the woods for the fishing.

PostPosted: October 23rd, 2017, 4:57 pm 

Bryce wrote:
Great pictures. I think you made a good decision with the shorter drive.

You brought back some memories. A friend and I crossed the park from Kiosk to Benoir this summer. Our last day's travel was from Cauliflower to Benoir, but we stopped for a swim and lunch on that site you chose. There was a small patch of blackberry bushes at the waterfront that added nicely to our lunch.

North of you from Little Branch to Little Hay is a little hairy, to say the least. We lost the trails frequently, but with high water and a bit of grit, it was easy going where ever the York showed passage. Supposed to be specks up that way but I can't imagine many people make the trek into that neck of the woods for the fishing.

Thanks, I'm happy with the decision as well. It was a pretty great trip for only 2 nights and being planned literally last minute.

And wow that's quite the route. I can only imagine how much of a pain the trek from Clydegale down to the Byers region would be.

I noticed some small red berries by the beach, but didn't see any blackberries... maybe I just wasn't looking hard enough... or maybe the bears got to them first :)