View topic - The French River Delta - A Paddler's Dreamscape!

It is currently August 9th, 2020, 11:39 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: October 23rd, 2017, 1:55 pm 

We’ve had some soggy canoe trips over the past few late Septembers and early Octobers thanks to uncooperative weather. This end of September was the exception you hope for - a solid week of July-like sunny and windless days as we paddled up and down the various channels of the French River delta from Hartley Bay and out to the Bustards and through the Outer Foxes. We had made up the following check list that we managed to turn into a canoe trip -

* the remains of French River Village
* Dalles Rapids
* the Bustard Lighthouses
* The Elephants in Pickerel Bay
* Eagle Nest Point
* the Pickerel River
* the Bass Creek portages
* the Old Voyageur Channel
* Devil’s Door Rapids
* the Cross Channel from west to east

See here for a map which shows the water we covered on our 110-kilometer ramble around the delta:

There were very few other paddlers out there and most of our campsites - especially the ones on the Bay itself - were excellent both for the shelter and the views they provided.

The various narrow channels of the French and the maze of islands along the shore of Georgian Bay made for the most sustained day-after-day "wow" that we have experienced. It's easy to see what drew the Group of Seven painters to the shores of Georgian Bay!

If you're interested, click on any of the following posts for more detailed maps, as well as pix, and campsite locations. We'll definitely be going back for another visit - sometime in May/June or September/October to avoid the summer time commotion. More of that amazing stretch of good weather we had this September would be nice!

Logistics, Maps  & Day 1 (Hartley Bay To the French River’s “The Elbow”

Day 2 – From the Elbow to the Bustards

Day 3 – From the Bustards To Eagle Next Point (West boundary of Park)

Day 4 – From Eagle Nest Point to East of the Fingerboards

Day 5 – To Bass Creek And The Park’s East Side

Day 6 – From the Georgian Bay Coast Up To Pickerel Bay (The Elephants)

Day 7 – From Pickerel Bay To Hartley Bay To Recollet Falls To Home

PostPosted: October 25th, 2017, 3:22 pm 

As usual, an excellent trip report with great photos, maps and information. I paddled a similar route in the Fall of 2016. A beautiful trip, and because it was October we had the place pretty much to ourselves.

Cheers!

www.mikemonaghan.ca

PostPosted: December 22nd, 2017, 9:23 pm 

Thx for posting this ,TN. I have been reading thru it a bit at a time---savor the flavor! I have been out into the delta several times and hope to go back again in 2018. Thx for providing the extra detail on the old V channel etc. With a bit of luck we may make it to that area next year.

Old canoeists never die---they just smell that way.

PostPosted: December 23rd, 2017, 7:32 am 
CCR Assistant Administrator

That is all anyone would need to plan unforgettable trip in the Delta. I could not help but day dream about a trip while reading your report. Fantastic pics too!

PostPosted: January 5th, 2018, 8:32 am 

Thanks for posting! It's a blizzard outside and you've got me dreaming of the summer and the bay. Your camp site 723 (just coming out from the cross channel) is just down from my cottage. Apparently going west on the cross channel past Lover's Lane there is rumour to be Fort Island. No one has found it yet. An old fur trading fort. Your story about the Scottish couple reminds me of back in the late 70's or 80's. Some solo canoeist paddled by the cottage and stopped to ask where he was. He pulled out his map, it was a road map of Canada and he had made it from Montreal so he was doing ok. I'm glad I found your blog- I will check out more trip reports.

PostPosted: January 9th, 2018, 4:25 pm 

Loved reading your trip report! Sitting in January dreaming of the summer months and a chance to get back on the water. Thanks for all the details, maps & pics!

Paddle On!

PostPosted: April 10th, 2018, 5:54 am 

Excellent report!... great resource for anyone going to the area.
One of my fav areas for tripping.

Think for yourself. Always question authority.  /  Timothy Leary 

To be great is to go on,  to go on is to be far,  and to be far is to return.  /  Kirk Wipper