View topic - Temagami River Whitewater Video

It is currently August 3rd, 2020, 7:01 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: February 1st, 2018, 11:16 am 

So if you're like me, you're currently itching for spring breakup to arrive so you can don a constricting drysuit and run some rivers.... Instead of going stir crazy, I put together a little video of our group running some fall whitewater on the Temagami River, so at least I could get some virtual fullfillment. :thumbup:

We spent 3 enjoyable November days, paddling from Thistle Lake to River Valley. The Temagami is gorgeous! Waterfalls, old growth, gorges and more! Certainly worth a return paddle.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I7cXyLh5zXg

My Backcountry Website: www.explorethebackcountry.com

PostPosted: February 1st, 2018, 1:47 pm 

Great Video. Watched it the other day.

PostPosted: February 1st, 2018, 2:07 pm 

Nice looking river, nice looking boat.

Is the Moisie available without flotation chambers? I'd prefer bags only on a river tripper. How did you attach your painters? I don't see the awful eye bolts that Nova Craft installs. I had the eye bolt on someone's rental snag a loop on my painter on a course. They almost ferried across a rapid attached to my boat!

Have you paddled a Starbust/Moisie/Canyon in Royalex? I'm curious what the speed difference is. I imagine Tuff Stuff would be a little faster and smoother on the water.

PostPosted: February 1st, 2018, 6:57 pm 

Nicely done!

PostPosted: February 1st, 2018, 8:51 pm 
CCR Assistant Administrator

Great video Brad!!!

The red canoe that shows up in the background every now and then is a Royalex Starburst. The Tuffstuff Moise definitely has sharper lines. Noticeably narrower up front. Could be a combination of material, float tanks and seat placement. I thought the Moise would wetter than it was. It did really well. Speedwise it would be Moise - Starburst - Canyon and the reverse for dryness.

PostPosted: February 1st, 2018, 9:09 pm 

Neil Fitzpatrick wrote:
Nice looking river, nice looking boat.

Is the Moisie available without flotation chambers? I'd prefer bags only on a river tripper. How did you attach your painters? I don't see the awful eye bolts that Nova Craft installs. I had the eye bolt on someone's rental snag a loop on my painter on a course. They almost ferried across a rapid attached to my boat!

Have you paddled a Starbust/Moisie/Canyon in Royalex? I'm curious what the speed difference is. I imagine Tuff Stuff would be a little faster and smoother on the water.

Yeah you can get the Moisie without the tanks/chambers and the eye bolts are optional. We had painters affixed to carry handles.

I've paddled a Starburst on a few occasions. The Moisie is noticeably faster, at least on flatwater/swifts. We paddled the Lower Canyons of the Rio Grande in March 2017 in the Moisie and our trip-mates paddled a Starburst. Could be paddler differences, but we would easily pull away. That said, it still can be a pig in any head or cross wind. It also feels wider? Would have to confirm but I felt there was more effective cargo space than a prospector, and the starburst for that matter, but it could be optics.

Seems slightly more responsive and forgiving in moving water. It weighs a good 25lbs lighter and has sharper lines due to the composites. I've had her gunwales kissing the river and the recovery was swift and responsive, almost aggressively so. I also thought it would be wetter, but I found the rockers shed water pretty well.

Attachment:
mtccrP1290249.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

My Backcountry Website: www.explorethebackcountry.com