View topic - Tumblehome Videos

It is currently November 20th, 2019, 12:24 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Tumblehome Videos
PostPosted: April 9th, 2018, 8:01 am 

Hi all,

I am so sorry for not answering the questions that many of you sent my way for the past year or two.
I was sick for a while and thankfully I seem to be mostly through the worst of it. I am back in the boats and tripping again. I am active now on Instagram as Tumblehome_Adventure and shamefully I have been ignoring all you fine folks here on CCR. I will start visiting here again now.

There are a couple of new trip vids up on YT...

Solo Trip in the Booth Lake area
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3u2D1DRPoDA&t=31s

Trip with my buddy Scott (of Karma Moose fame)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gLTlgTDfbnU&t=185s

enjoy

I hope these only serve to get you more jacked about your own upcoming trips for the year!

Jason
aka Tumblehome

Think for yourself. Always question authority.  /  Timothy Leary 

To be great is to go on,  to go on is to be far,  and to be far is to return.  /  Kirk Wipper

Post subject: Re: Tumblehome Videos
PostPosted: April 9th, 2018, 3:12 pm 

Loved the movies - getting the itch to get out there!!! Woke up to -10 in Montreal - will spring ever get here...

PostPosted: April 9th, 2018, 4:34 pm 

Sorry can't watch it with a scene cut every 2 seconds.

Going to have an epileptic seizure and I'm not even epileptic

PostPosted: April 10th, 2018, 5:46 am 

Prospector16 wrote:

You may want to have that checked out!
If you can find a little patience, you'll be rewarded with some nice long canoe sequences and a calm pace throughout most of my films. Don't let the first few minutes fool you.
Your the first person to take issue with my editing style but hey, there's a first time for everything.
Jason

To be great is to go on,  to go on is to be far,  and to be far is to return.  /  Kirk Wipper

PostPosted: April 10th, 2018, 6:40 am 

I will try to grit my teeth through the first part. Your editing style is a very popular one these days. I can't watch a lot of TV commercials because of the same thing but it is even worse there. If you count the scene cuts in an average 30 second TV commercial they are almost always more than 15 and usually more than 20.

It makes me dizzy. The epileptic seizure part is a bit of hyperbole with an obscure reference to those Japanese shows that were giving kids seizures. But it does make me dizzy watching rapid scene cuts.

PostPosted: April 10th, 2018, 7:28 am 

Prospector16 wrote:
I will try to grit my teeth through the first part. Your editing style is a very popular one these days.

It makes me dizzy. The epileptic seizure part is a bit of hyperbole with an obscure reference to those Japanese shows that were giving kids seizures. But it does make me dizzy watching rapid scene cuts.

Fair enough.
I'm actually not a big fan of quick cuts myself and I work at CBC in the promo dept. I'm usually pushing for less frenetic promos but yes, attention spans are dwindling and its crazy how things are changing in that regard. Sometimes I'm getting asked to cut 6 second promos that give an overview of an entire episode or show!

Just skip the first little section where I'm yapping about the plan and packing etc. I tried to keep that section short and for sure has some quick edits as a result... That and I was leaning on the Hero 6 / head mount, hoping the stabilization was keeping things fairly steady. It's so so in that regard IMO.
I'm still figuring out the strengths and weaknesses of that camera, and it definitely has a few shortcomings.
For the most part, I go out of my way to keep things smooth, steady camera and even pleasing transitions if possible. :thumbup: Check out some of the other Tumblehome trip vids too, I think you will actually enjoy the pace of them.
I find my vids sometimes mirror the trip themselves, a bit more high energy off the top but quickly settling as the trip progresses and "civilization" fades.

PostPosted: April 11th, 2018, 5:20 pm 

Hey Jason, recently saw Kevin Callan post about your channel and started watching your videos. Don't know how I didn't find your channel earlier. Beautiful work. Sets the bar for videography and production.

PostPosted: April 11th, 2018, 6:25 pm 

Prospector16 wrote:

You will be hardpressed to find such entertaining, humorous and quality videos such as Mr Tumblehome around these parts. Usually you're helpful but I guess everybody can have a down day.

I recommend his part 1-4 of the Carolyn Jane, that is if you can stomach it. :wink:

I saw the movie the day it was uploaded and enjoyed it. I def see the joy in his eyes when he's out there.

PostPosted: April 11th, 2018, 10:04 pm 

Sorry if my original reply was a bit raw - to do over I'd probably tone it down a bit. But I think honesty is can be very helpful. Some of the best improvements I've ever made on my own videos have resulted from negative feedback on them. I'm not suggesting Mr Canoodle needs to change anything for my sake - if people are watching then I'm the odd one out.

I just started it again and the rapid scene cuts ended at the 6 or 7 minute mark and so I'm settling into it after that. And yes it is good to see someone who enjoys the outdoors as much as I do! Man, I can't wait to get out there.

I probably won't watch the rest of the video tonight but I will continue on the weekend. About half way through now.

Technical question - is that all filmed with the built in mic on the gopro 6?

PostPosted: April 12th, 2018, 6:05 am 

Jonathan Kelly wrote:
Hey Jason, recently saw Kevin Callan post about your channel and started watching your videos. Don't know how I didn't find your channel earlier. Beautiful work. Sets the bar for videography and production.

Thanks Jonathan.
Re: finding my channel... there is just so much content out there now, and a lot of it is really good!
I just started digging deeper into Chris Prouse vids... talk about setting the bar for production ;-)
J

PostPosted: April 12th, 2018, 6:18 am 

Prospector16 wrote:
Sorry if my original reply was a bit raw - to do over I'd probably tone it down a bit. But I think honesty is can be very helpful. Some of the best improvements I've ever made on my own videos have resulted from negative feedback on them. I'm not suggesting Mr Canoodle needs to change anything for my sake - if people are watching then I'm the odd one out.

I just started it again and the rapid scene cuts ended at the 6 or 7 minute mark and so I'm settling into it after that. And yes it is good to see someone who enjoys the outdoors as much as I do! Man, I can't wait to get out there.

I probably won't watch the rest of the video tonight but I will continue on the weekend. About half way through now.

Technical question - is that all filmed with the built in mic on the gopro 6?

Thanks bother... I agree totally re honest feedback.
All of the Go Pro 6 footage used the onboard mics (I got lazy an didn't get out the Tascam for the whole trip) The onbard mics worked great at times but not all the time. It has a few different modes and I had it in Auto which switched automatically in and out of Wind mode when needed. It has some sort of active EQ system that remains quite dynamic and fluid as it deals with wind. It's a great idea that works pretty well most of the time but causes some strange sucking sounds, noticeable ramps in EQ etc. I did a fair bit of post work with the Go Pro audio to make it more palatable. I think I may look into getting a small exterior mic for it. I just ordered a Rode mic for the DSLR and I've seen a few people are puting a Rode mini on there GoPros.
I'll say this about the Hero 6 audio... its leaps and bounds ahead of the Hero 3 I had previous.

PostPosted: April 12th, 2018, 6:28 am 

Wow that's pretty good for on board audio.

I also just recently discovered Chris Prouse and yeah she sets a pretty high bar!

PostPosted: April 12th, 2018, 9:51 am 

Nice to see you back Canoodle :clap:
Everyone has a different style.
Not so fond of the jump style,
but my tripping style is the sit back and see what happens and catch those short glimpses of neat stuff.
And video can miss that.
Making trip reports has become like buying a boat, paddle, or destination.
Everyone has their own cup of tea.
Which is ok, it is what peaks our interests.
Jeff

Choosing to save a river is more often an act of passion than of careful calculation. You make the choice because the river has touched your life in an intimate and irreversible way, because you are unwilling to accept its loss. — (David Bolling, Ho

PostPosted: April 12th, 2018, 12:49 pm 

jedi jeffi wrote:
Nice to see you back Canoodle :clap:
Everyone has a different style.
Not so fond of the jump style,
but my tripping style is the sit back and see what happens and catch those short glimpses of neat stuff.
And video can miss that.
Making trip reports has become like buying a boat, paddle, or destination.
Everyone has their own cup of tea.
Which is ok, it is what peaks our interests.
Jeff

What Jeff said!!
And you'll never please everyone. My philosophy is just to produce what you enjoy watching or making, no one's forcing anyone to watch it. Editing is just a fun extension of the trip, with (for me at least) the intention of the end product raising awareness of a route, area or pastime. There's so many distinct 'styles' out there and it can even vary tremendously on one's own 'channel'. It's really interesting to see what demographics consume your end product. Bit of a stats nerd... but breaking down different styles to audience retention can yield some pretty insightful metrics.

Maybe I'm a youngin who suffers from a short attention span, but I often can't watch a long (>15mins) video that doesn't have flow, a narrative or at least a mix of quick cuts to move the 'story' along. I'll skim through to get the majority of the picture. Jason, I love the zen like state your videos convey. Keep em coming, however you please, I'll be watching!

Far too often I'm caught up in the trip and then get to the editing room and think... "wow, I didn't shoot any of the good stuff"... I was too busy enjoying it :thumbup:

My Backcountry Website: www.explorethebackcountry.com

PostPosted: April 17th, 2018, 10:35 am 

Jonathan Kelly wrote:
Thanks Jonathan!