View topic - Killarney Ice Out May 2019

It is currently June 16th, 2019, 10:30 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: May 11th, 2019, 4:40 pm 

Well, not quite ice out. The ice broke on Friday and we entered the park on Sunday. We still managed to bang our way through some surface film from the cool Saturday evening but other than that it was pretty smooth sailing.

This was the first time my wife Becky paddled Killarney. It was also her first exposure to a classic Killarney portage: "In Killarney, all the portages point upwards" Andy Baxter. However, given it was the first canoe trip of the season and cold at that, this trip was an easy one. Our total route was only 36 km, camping at O.S.A. on night 1, Killarney on Night 2 and Norway on Night 3. Day 4 had us paddling back from Norway to the George Lake put in.

Small 45m liftover at Freeland to George

Image[/url]

Image[/url]

Rapids next to portage trail along 410 m port from Freeland to Killarney

O.S.A. and Norway are among my favorite lakes for their scenery perhaps only bested by Little Mountain which we did not visit on this trip.

Still, early spring can be brisk when the wind comes up...

Small stream located after the small 120 m portage from O.S.A. back to Killarney

Behind our campsite at Killarney Lake there is a footpath that leads up the mountainside and to a set of three ponds in the hills. We hiked up part way the first night after the rains and then again the next morning after packing up to visit the ponds.

Norway Lake - its higher elevation meant it still had a lot of ice along its shorelines as well as a big slab of melty iceburg in the middle of the lake.

Image[/url]

Western campsite on Norway is incredibly scenic and [almost] has a flat tent pad!

Our one largish portage from Norway to Kakakise...

We got held up at the stump area on the west side of the Island at lower end of Killarney and ended up backtracking the otherway unable to find a path through the wood.

Part of the portage trail

If it were a little less cold, we probably would have took the hike to Heaven Lake, but we decided to walk on then take a little rest. I gotta hand it to my wife and her ability to get shut eye in virtually any setting.

On Kakakise there was this creepy Ice "Skull-pture" on the hillside. We see it there every spring when we go in, but I liked its shape this time...

This is the mud laden area just after the foot bridge used by folks walking towards the Crack trail.

I wanted to visit the Crack again, but Becky wasn't in the mood and we had a long day's paddle that last day moving from Norway back to George.

Kakakise Creek was pretty muddy and low but still easily paddled this time of year.

Overall, it was a great trip. Killarney is never a disappointment!

Here is the video:

https://youtu.be/3VuInSIEjfk

PostPosted: May 11th, 2019, 5:08 pm 

kgd, thanks for the confirmation that a new season of paddling is indeed a-coming! Any other paddlers out there - or did you have those lakes to yourselves? BTW - nice collection of images!

PostPosted: May 11th, 2019, 5:28 pm 

true_north wrote:
kgd, thanks for the confirmation that a new season of paddling is indeed a-coming! Any other paddlers out there - or did you have those lakes to yourselves? BTW - nice collection of images!

Thanks True_north. Apparently a few hardy soles hacked their way through George on the Friday even though Ranger's were telling folks it was still non-navigable. On the Sunday there were about 3 other groups and we followed one up to O.S.A. before losing them to their more demanding journey. After day 1 we didn't see anybody else until coming out of the park on Wed.

Can't wait to visit Woodland Caribou again this August again, maybe I'll find your wake??? :)

Ken

PostPosted: May 12th, 2019, 7:47 am 

Great to see those Killarney pix... and you had it all to yourself, good timing.