View topic - Trip Video: Temagami's Maple Mountain Route August 2019

It is currently August 14th, 2020, 6:43 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: March 17th, 2020, 5:54 pm 

Hiya everyone,

I got a lot of help reading about Lady Evelyn lake on this forum, as well as getting Jeff's Temagami Map again after the website being down from Jeff himself here, so I figured I'd share this as a thank you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cv1nuEUO9CE

We planned 11 days, ended up finishing early in about 9 days. Very leisurely, with 2 or more rest/hang out days.

Day to day looked roughly like this:

Day 1: Mowat Landing down to mouth of Lady Evelyn River/start of Lady Evelyn Lake. Camped at one of the sites that overlooks the opening up to Lady Evelyn Lake.

Day 2: Crossed Lady Evelyn Lake to the narrows of West LE. Weather was overcast, water was definitely the choppiest/roughest I've ever paddled in, but from what I gather still nothing near how crazy it gets on LE. On Day 1 during our portage over the dam a family told us they were wind bound for a day, waves were 2 feet high apparently. Even Bob at Swift Canoe where we got our canoes from (incredible 18'6 three person canoes, probably why we felt and were so stable and efficient) warned us to be careful.

Day 3: Spent a day hanging out at our cool campsite in the Narrows.

Day 4: Paddled from the Narrows and into Hobart Lake. Got the campsite on the North Eastern part of the lake, with a wonderful view of Maple Mt. We witnessed one of the most bizarre/spooky/scary things while on Hobart searching for a campsite. At one of the potential sites where I was fishing, we suddenly a mini tornado whipped up in one corner near us and headed straight one of the other canoes out in the lake.

Day 5: Paddled into Tupper Lake. That creek/river section is super technical (at least for us) and a lot of fun navigating. There was a beaver dam that we did a simple lift over on. Found the beginning of the trail and hiked up. Took some of our group about an hour or so going up, took me nearly 2 hours. About 1h45 down. Did not rush it, and I am a big guy. Stunning scenery from the top. My favourite views were facing Ishpatina Ridge. I can only imagine how it is in the fall.

Day 6: Paddled from our site in Hobart to an island site on LE, west of the Narrows. There's technically 3 campsites on there potentially, really nice island which excellent views of Maple Mt on one end.

Day 7: Paddled back across LE and into a site on the Lady Evelyn river, a few km south of the dam. On the way stopped into one of the cottages on one of the islands on LE. The lady who owns it chatted with us when we were putting in at Mowat, told us to swing by on our way back, had beer and water for us. Wonderful lady, had such a great time chatting with her and hearing her amazing story.

Day 8: Hung out and explore the area a bit around our site. As with everything else, really scenic.

Day 9: Made our way back to Mowat in the morning and headed home.

Fishing: Probably the most bites/fish on I've ever had. It wasn't an insane number, but I also don't know much of what I'm doing. Lost quite a few bass, and in the morning paddling from the Narrows to Hobart, lost a huge, fat pike right at the boat (net missed the fish, one of the treble hooks got caught on the net, and the pike wriggled off). I personally caught and cooked one bass, and two of the other fisherman caught two as well. The bass I caught was on Hobart near one of the campsites, where I could see a ton of bass by the boat, and some bigger ones further away. First case had one on and lost. Second or third cast landed one.

Bottom line: Incredible route, I'd honestly do it again and likely spend more time exploring the lake/other lakes there. Lady Evelyn Lake is definitely as everyone says it is, definitely warrants being careful, there's also quite a good amount of boat traffic on there. We did run into a lot of Americans staying at the lodges/camps on there.

Cheers again for the help from this site!