View topic - Jackson Kinnaird Loop

It is currently October 15th, 2019, 7:19 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Jackson Kinnaird Loop
PostPosted: July 26th, 2003, 9:59 pm 

Thought I might paddle this(no second vehicle this trip).
I'd like to hear of others adventures or tips.
Thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 26th, 2003, 11:11 pm 

It's a great little trip. Good campsites, not many people. The loop is an easy three days, but the lakes have lots of little bays to explore and the wildlife-watching is excellent. You may want to find a favourite campsite and make day-runs if you have more than three days to spend.

e-mail me, howling1@telusplanet.net , if you need specific info.

Post subject: Jackson-Kinnaird loop
PostPosted: July 27th, 2003, 11:50 pm 
Just returned last week from five days on the Jackson-Kinnaird-Blackett loop.
There were small motor boats each day on Jackson and Kinnaird lakes. We
saw nobody else on Blackett, Dabbs, or McGuffin lakes.

Don't be worried about the 3.5km portage into Jackson lake. The carts
provided by the Park are great and make the trip no harder than a short hike.
Carts are provided at all portages except into Dabbs and at the north end of
Blackett lake. The 750m. portage from the north end of Blackett back into
Kinnaird lake is mostly muskeg, however the trail was covered with wolf scat.

There is one cart at the portage from Jackson to McGuffin lake. This is only a
600m portage and is well worth it to get away from the motors.

There is sand bottoms in all the lakes and swimming is good. Fishing was
not as good as expected. Bird watching was great (lots of pelicans loons and eagles). We heard wolves howling every night and saw lots of beaver but no moose or bears.

Over all an easy trip. Uncomplicated lakes make navigation very easy. Three days for the main Jackson -Kinnaird -Blackett loop in good weather would only mean about three hours of paddling each day.

Post subject: the "loop"
PostPosted: July 28th, 2003, 5:38 pm 

Sounds like just the trip for me then.....
I'm off to pick up a map of the area right now at map town.
Maybe I should go this long weekend ...Yippie!

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 29th, 2003, 12:49 pm 

Is the Lakeland Prov Park Backcountry map sufficient for this trip? If so, how can I get my hands on a copy?

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 29th, 2003, 1:09 pm 

The Lakeland Park back country map is perfect. Call (780) 623-5470.

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 5th, 2003, 11:36 am 

I just got my backcountry map in the mail. That is one great map, and it was a nice change to be able to speak to someone in person, and have them mail something to me directly. It was reminicent of the old, pre-Liberal days, here in BC.

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 6th, 2003, 3:22 pm 

:o oops, i should've followed this thread before i posted my question regarding 3day loops.

We're looking to squeeze in a 3 (full) day canoe trip while visiting friends in Edmonton. Not being familiar to the area, this post intrigues me and seems to fit my objectives. I do have some questions though:

1. Where is this loop relative to Edmonton? Driving time to get there?
2. Where can we obtain a map? I would assume the provincial park sells them. Do start and end points start from the prov park? Is that the only map we would need? We would be picking up the map on day 1 of our trip, so therefore no route planning ahead of time. We are willing to travel 10-15km/day and would much prefer remote locations. Portages don't scare us either :tsk:
3. Bears - do we need to worry about em? Any other wildlife we should be wary about?
4. Canoe rental? Is there an outfitter located near the access points? Can anyone spare me info?
5. Any other info on this area would be appreciated

Thanks in advance.
Jake

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 6th, 2003, 3:23 pm 

:o oops, i should've followed this thread before i posted my question regarding 3day loops.

We're looking to squeeze in a 3 (full) day canoe trip while visiting friends in Edmonton. Not being familiar to the area, this post intrigues me and seems to fit my objectives. I do have some questions though:

1. Where is this loop relative to Edmonton? Driving time to get there?
2. Where can we obtain a map? I would assume the provincial park sells them. Do start and end points start from the prov park? Is that the only map we would need? We would be picking up the map on day 1 of our trip, so therefore no route planning ahead of time. We are willing to travel 10-15km/day and would much prefer remote locations. Portages don't scare us either :tsk:
3. Bears - do we need to worry about em? Any other wildlife we should be wary about?
4. Canoe rental? Is there an outfitter located near the access points? Can anyone spare me info?
5. Any other info on this area would be appreciated

Thanks in advance.
Jake

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 6th, 2003, 5:17 pm 

Here ya go: http://www.cd.gov.ab.ca/enjoying_albert ... asp?id=280

Call the number or email via the "contact us" page and they will mail you a map of the park at no cost.

The park is NE of Edmonton, doesn't look too far. Another spot you might want to consider for a day paddle that is very close to Edmonton is Elk Island National Park. There's a couple of decent sized lakes in there and lots of opportunities for wildlife viewing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 6th, 2003, 11:34 pm 
Lakeland Provincial Park is about 20 minutes east of the town of Lac La Biche or about 2.5 hours northeast of Edmonton. The canoe circuit is a loop with the same start and finish points. I don't know if there are any outfitters in Lac La Biche, but there are places to rent canoes in Edmonton. You can download a map at the following site www.laclabicheregion.ab.ca and click on maps and canoe circuit. Maps can be picked up at the parks office in the provincial bldg. in town and they are all you need and free. Try calling the park for information at Lakeland Provincial Park
Box 959, Lac La Biche, Alberta
T0A 2C0
Phone (1) 780 623-5434, Fax (1) 780 623 5239
The staff were very helpful.

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 7th, 2003, 11:05 am 

After searching the net for more info on Elk Island Nat'l Pk, I come up with nothng regarding camping. Are there only campgrounds or could you paddle around and set camp on "interior" camp sites?

I'm currently shuffling b/w Elk Island and Jackson-Kinnaird for our 3-day canoe-trip. Btw, anyone know what the fishing is like in Jackson Kinnaird loop.

Thanks. J

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 7th, 2003, 11:12 am 

I'm not sure how long you will be in Edmonton, but why not do both? You could paddle Elk Island NP one evening, since that's when the wildlife gets active, and then head off to Lakeland PP for your 3 day trip.

Did you try the National Parks website for info on Elk Island?

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 7th, 2003, 11:19 am 

I'm not sure how long you will be in Edmonton, but why not do both? You could paddle Elk Island NP one evening, since that's when the wildlife gets active, and then head off to Lakeland PP for your 3 day trip.

-that's actually what i'm thinking. technically we have 3.75days to trek around. i figured do Jackson first and then come back and do Elk Island. My only concern was if it was possible to do a canoe-trip style camping while at Elk Island. If not no biggie and we'll just do a hike.

Did you try the National Parks website for info on Elk Island?
-yup, and no specifics on whether or not they offer backcountry camping. i tried calling the park office earlier but they weren't open yet. will try again later though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 7th, 2003, 11:31 am 

We camped and hiked at Elk Island NP a few years ago, and I remember looking at the lakes and thinking "That's the way to tour this place". I don't remember if there are any backcountry campgrounds. We stayed in one of the drive in campgrounds and just toured around from there.

My fondest memory of Elk Island is rounding a corner on a hike and coming face to face with a huge bison, in the middle of the trail, about 20 meters away. It stared at us for a moment with a leaf hanging out of the side of it's mouth, then I said "Hello, people here" and it ran off.

Here's a map from the NP website: http://www.pc.gc.ca/pn-np/ab/elkisland/ ... it9d_e.asp

There are three decent sized lakes to paddle and it looks like you may be able to portage between the two southern lakes. It was the picnic area at the North end of these two lakes that I longed for a canoe. I think the northern lake is more crowded, but is still very nice. Too bad the map is so small you can't read any names :-?

It seems that there is backcountry camping at Oster Lake, but you have to hike in.