View topic - Looking for an Alberta/BC Paddling Route for 2013

It is currently November 11th, 2019, 11:40 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: November 14th, 2012, 2:46 pm 

Rob S wrote:
... If I understand your origonal posting correctly it is your intent to use kayaks. If this is the case, I don't imagine that your group will get into trouble. I find it really hard to identify which have been my best trips, but the Brazeau is definately worth doing!!
On a seperate note, my canoe partner of the last five years has given up the sport after suffering a knee injury on a portage in Northern Saskatchewan last summer. As a result I find myself without a partner and would like to use this post to possibly recruit a new paddling buddy. I live in Okotoks and would love to hear from you.

I myself have always paddled in a canoe, either tandem or solo, and will likely continue to do so in the future. Couple of the guys that have paddled with us the last two years have used rec kayaks, which are more suited for mild rivers (less than CIII) and flatwater. Although not exactly the same, their kayaks were kind of like this:

http://www.rei.com/product/830952/emotion-kayaks-envy-11-kayak

For day trips these kayaks have been fine, but they don't have much space for gear for an overnighter. If we paddled anything longer than day trips, they would likely have to switch boats, or buy cargo space in my canoe.

Bummer about your paddling partner. I slipped on a rock on the shore of the Athabasca River last September and fell on my face and knee. Was limping and seeing stars for a while after that.

Rob, sent you a PM.

PostPosted: December 9th, 2012, 9:00 pm 

If your looking for just a few days, what about the Athabasca. From Whitecourt to Ft. assinaboine is only a two day trip. Lots of islands to camp on, good fishing (if your interested in that) You can put in a little furthur up stream from whitecourt and make it a 3 day trip. The good thing its under 2 hours from Edmonton to both spots!

PostPosted: December 11th, 2012, 2:34 pm 

Simmered wrote:
If your looking for just a few days, what about the Athabasca. From Whitecourt to Ft. assinaboine is only a two day trip. Lots of islands to camp on, good fishing (if your interested in that) You can put in a little furthur up stream from whitecourt and make it a 3 day trip. The good thing its under 2 hours from Edmonton to both spots!

Simmered. One of the guys who paddles with us has been saying for past couple of years that he is up for trying the Athabasca River from the National Park to Whitecourt. I don't have my guide with me at the moment and don't recall how far that is (seem to recall about 3-4 days). If we paddle the Athabasca River again outside of the Park, it would likely be the reach upstream of Whitecourt.

PostPosted: December 11th, 2012, 10:17 pm 

ice breaker,
Just a few things from memory:
It's 3 days from Jasper to Hinton (about 100 km from Old Fort Point to the Hinton Haul Road Bridge). Depending upon water levels, paddling speed, hours spent paddling, I believe that it would be 4 or more days from Hinton to Whitecourt (about 200 km).
Ralph

PostPosted: December 12th, 2012, 9:52 am 

Ralph wrote:
ice breaker,
Just a few things from memory:
It's 3 days from Jasper to Hinton (about 100 km from Old Fort Point to the Hinton Haul Road Bridge). Depending upon water levels, paddling speed, hours spent paddling, I believe that it would be 4 or more days from Hinton to Whitecourt (about 200 km).
Ralph

Thanks Ralph. That sounds a little bit further than what I had guessed. May take a bit more than a long-weekend to paddle the Hinton to Whitecourt section.

As for the Old Fort Point to Hinton section, we paddled the first part of that this year as a day trip. I had forgotten how windy that corridor can be between Hinton and Jasper. It was somewhat lucky for us that the wind was blowing from west to east as our paddling speed on the west to east sections of the river was awesome. However, I was paddling solo in a boat with lots of rocker, and it was a real struggle to keep from spinning around at every unexpected moment. Really sucked when paddling around bends that forced us to go cross wind. Paddling against the wind would not have been possible, even with the current.

PostPosted: August 29th, 2013, 9:15 am 

The best source I've found for the whitewater part of the Red Deer below the Panther confluence is paddlingabc
http://www.paddlingabc.com/doku.php?id= ... to_s-bends

Wysenchuks is mentioned but the map doesn't show it.

Question: Where does it fit in the following list from paddlingabc?
Panther River confluence, bridge and Mountain Aire Lodge, Gooseberry Ledge, S-Bends (camping and parking), Nationals, Deer Creek take-out, boulder garden, Sauna Hole, ledges, Cache Hill Rapids, Cache Hill, ledge, Williams Creek (parking), Double Ledge, Adrenaline, Coal Camp ledge, Coal Camp (camping and parking).
And any errors in the list?

A literal mind is a little mind. If it's not worth doing to excess, it's not worth doing at all. Good enough isn't.  None are so blind as those who choose not to see. (AJ)

PostPosted: August 29th, 2013, 3:53 pm 

Allan Jacobs wrote:
The best source I've found for the whitewater part of the Red Deer below the Panther confluence is paddlingabc
http://www.paddlingabc.com/doku.php?id= ... to_s-bends

Wysenchuks is mentioned but the map doesn't show it.

Question: Where does it fit in the following list from paddlingabc?
Panther River confluence, bridge and Mountain Aire Lodge, Gooseberry Ledge, S-Bends (camping and parking), Nationals, Deer Creek take-out, boulder garden, Sauna Hole, ledges, Cache Hill Rapids, Cache Hill, ledge, Williams Creek (parking), Double Ledge, Adrenaline, Coal Camp ledge, Coal Camp (camping and parking).
And any errors in the list?

Wysenchucks is an unserviced wilderness campsite along the river downstream of Mountain Aire Lodge, but upstream of Cache Hill.

On google maps, look up Wysenchucks at: 51.641033,-115.093975 (lat/long).

Similarly, Cache Hill campsite is at: 51.651924,-115.019306 (lat/long).

Last edited by ice-breaker on August 29th, 2013, 4:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: August 29th, 2013, 4:16 pm 

It's been years since I've been there, but -

I don't know which "boulder garden" that list refers to, but Wysenchuck's is downstream of "Deer Creek" and upstream of "Cache Hill". Look on the t2 topo map for where Burnt Timber Creek enters the Red Deer (in gmap4, the map in that link mis-labels the river at that point). Then switch to Google satellite. Wysenchuck's is the small road access on the north side of the Red Deer about 500 m above the Burnt Timber junction. (Just downstream of Wysenchuck's, the Red Deer turns south, then turns more east again at the Burnt Timber junction.)

-jmc

PostPosted: August 29th, 2013, 4:56 pm 

Thanks guys!
I included that information in the Red Deer River Features paragraph at
http://www.myccr.com/phpbbforum/viewtop ... 09&t=41903

BTW, paddlingabc.com looks like a great resource for AB and BC rivers.
I've added paddlingabc.com links to BC and AB Resources. Think that I should post links to many more individual Route entries.

A literal mind is a little mind. If it's not worth doing to excess, it's not worth doing at all. Good enough isn't.  None are so blind as those who choose not to see. (AJ)