View topic - North Saskatchewan Trip Report

It is currently March 19th, 2024, 4:41 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 53 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: June 8th, 2006, 11:31 pm 

Dunkin'

We put in at Saunders and took out at Briarly's(sp?). The group was inexperienced river paddlers so there was a lot of teaching a eddy turns when we got the chance. We reached the Devils Elbow the second day and played around for about 4 hours there. The weather was perfect for the first and second day except for a little wind that played havoc with my little boat the evening of the second day. My boat ran fantastic on Devils Elbow. There are some great lines that I got to try and made out of them with the open side up, just a little swamped. I did find that it's hard to keep any speed up in it as as soon as my bow hit the first wave, all forward momentum stopped, and any time the bow got off course, correction strokes were hard and slowed me down even more. None the less, it was a great run and I am glad I've got a boat I can trip in as well as run some waves. Our third day was drizzly, (thursday), and most of the group had cold feet. we didn't run anything to bad, but the one set of waves after the Devils almost swallowed me whole. I didn't know if I would make it over one of the waves. The trough was huge, from my angle.
A friend on the trip had a great camera, so once I have access to those pics, I'll see if I can manage to somehow post them on here. Thanks for all the advice, it was a great trip.

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 9th, 2006, 12:07 am 

EcoCanoe,
Sounds like you had a great time, there are sure some fun spots on that river, Devils Elbow included.

It would be great to see some of the pictures taken.

"Paddle faster, I hear banjos!"

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 9th, 2006, 12:49 am 

No offence to Ontario, but it's nice to see some CCRers mixin' & mingling and sharing stories out west!

P.

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 10th, 2006, 4:45 am 

My next plan of attack is for mid July... two weeks of island hopping and camping in the remote Broughton Archipeligo. This area is renowned for it's orca whale and grizzly bear viewing so I sure wish I had that 400mm zoom lens we used on the NSR trip however, two weeks would cost a little much I think.

My plan is to circumnavigate Broughton Island however, leaving from Telegraph Cove on Vancouver Island and then... crossing Johnstone Strait by canoe... I'll have a lot of Km to paddle every day if I'm to pull this off. This will be a solo trip and I certainly hope to come back with some amazing shots to share.

Here's the location....

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 10th, 2006, 5:49 am 

Monster

Looking forward to seeing some nice pictures

Good Luck :D

http://hww.ca/index_e.asp

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 10th, 2006, 6:26 am 

Great trip report and awesome pics.

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 10th, 2006, 5:51 pm 

Monster,

Sounds like a great plan you have there, I do look forward to seeing some of the shots.

Maybe you want to borrow my new Canon EF 100-400 lens? :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 10th, 2006, 11:42 pm 

you didn't... :o

You lucky lucky dog... did you get a used one or spring for a brand new one?????? Have to say I completely agree with the purchase though. For canoing especially, taking pictures of shore is so often a long ways off, nevermind trying to catch a breaching whale, or not getting too close to a grizz... you simply have a lens with that kind of reach or dont even bother trying to get the shot.

Good on you and I'm completely envious. I have been seriously torn about what to do for this trip, we dont have a Vistek here in Vancouver and the best price I've been able to find on a rental of that lens is $89 per day. When I tally up that kind of cost and add it to the $1500 this trip is already costing me.. I'm afraid it's out of my financial league.

Congratulations!!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 11th, 2006, 7:39 am 

I found a good deal on a 5 month old one, saving me $350. I tried it out this weekend out at our property. Got some great shots of some Canadian Geese with their wee goslings. I am loving it so far, now for a trip to the zoo. It is touted to be the ideal zoo lens, we will have to see........

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 11th, 2006, 7:45 am 

Monster wrote:
I have been seriously torn about what to do for this trip, we dont have a Vistek here in Vancouver and the best price I've been able to find on a rental of that lens is $89 per day. When I tally up that kind of cost and add it to the $1500 this trip is already costing me.. I'm afraid it's out of my financial league.

If you could borrow enough from somewhere you could buy a used one and resell it when you get back (ha! like you would be able to do it after having it in your hands for 2 weeks). You would likely get the majority of your money back as any Canon L lens holds it's value incredibly well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 11th, 2006, 6:25 pm 

Hey Jim, I was just going over the Exif data fromt he pics we took using the rental lens and all of them say they were taken at 400mm which, I know is not true. I often was at 320mm or even 200mm... do you know why this is?

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 11th, 2006, 6:33 pm 

I never even noticed that, must be some bad communication between the lens and camera, the new lens I have reports properly, I just checked that out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 11th, 2006, 6:53 pm 

Thats too bad, cause I was thinking that... if I'm to make a serious investment into just one lens to compliment my 17-85mm, that I should probably look at the 70-200 2.8 with IS.

This is why I wanted to look at the focal length of those pics we took, so I could gauge if most of them would have fit into that range. My reasoning is that I could always get the 1.4x extender for those occasions where I really need the super long reach. Thoughts?

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 11th, 2006, 7:06 pm 

The 70-200 IS is a great lens and can take a 1.4x or 2x TC no prob. It does cost $400-500 more than the 100-400 plus the cost of the TC (which is nice to have anyway). It does not weight much more so that would not be a big concern.

It seems we are hijacking your own thread with this camera talk. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 11th, 2006, 9:18 pm 

The pictures should be ready by mid-week. A buddy on the trip is putting a CD togeather of all of them and should be ready by Wednesday at the latest. Now my problem is finding a trip for next week. I've got the 17 to the 20th off and need ideas. Paddling or otherwise. I'd love to do the Northover Ridge, but if I can find a paddling route anda buddy I'll take that. Thinking of the Milk River maybe. Anyone interested?

Oh, and I've got a Canon 520. I can't afford any of these fancy shmancy camera's with zoom and whatnot. I can't even speak the language, these letters and numbers mean nothing to me.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 53 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next