View topic - Beresford to Gem Lake

It is currently July 15th, 2020, 7:36 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: May 14th, 2020, 6:30 pm 

Apparently at the trailhead for access to Gem L. (at the ATV lot/trail), Nopiming has a sign that gives info on the Gem L. campsites.

Weirdly, the sign also shows the Manigotagan as a "canoe route" on that park sign/map, both coming in to Gem and continuing to Slate and beyond. I say weirdly because the river and Slate aren't included by the park as an actual "designated water route" with sites. So on one hand they present it as a route, and on another they don't allow you many places to camp? I wish they were more open about allowing backcountry camping at places like Slate etc.

According to the park, the Gem sites are more a destination for fishing than for canoe tripping. I wish they had fewer places for motorized fishing boats and/or more places for canoe tripping.

I'm not that keen on Gem, Garner or Shoe due to boats, and I'm not that keen on Seagrim and Rabbit/Cole because of busyness on the weekends. I guess I'm being picky! But it's got to compete with the ELA area or I'll just keeping going there. I'll try for some week days in Nopiming when I can. And when time allows, there is certainly endless exploration in WCPP going east from Garner to Haggart etc., that looks great (though I think it all burned not long ago, so that could be a factor too).

Happy exploring! Pat.

PostPosted: May 16th, 2020, 10:46 am 

I did the Beresford to Garner a few years ago:

https://www.myccr.com/phpbbforum/viewto ... 14&t=46295

It was late in the season and water levels were low. No motor boats at the time, just beaver dams on the way to the lake. It's quite nice out there except for the piles of garbage at the camp sites. I wanted to go again and head across to WCPP but with boat traffic I don't think I'll try. At least not until it's later in the year.

I wanted to go to ELA this year. I worked there as a summer student in the 90s and would love to revisit the area. With covid-19 right now I'm not going to travel out of Manitoba. Do you leave your car just past the bridge and before the sign that says you need a permit to go further?

PostPosted: May 16th, 2020, 12:34 pm 

I've never gone in the actual ELA road. I've used the Highwind Lake Rd south of Rushing River. From Ethelma Lake you can go north to Hawk L. area, south into Dryberry, or N and east to ELA proper. This year (or whenever) I might also look at a few spots on the north side of the highway.

But yes, for now Manitoba, which is why I was digging around on Nopiming. I was looking for alternatives to places with boats, crowds or garbage, but was disappointed to learn that you can only camp at designated routes/sites. There's a few spots there I'd like to explore that don't allow camping (not including those that don't allow camping for the protection of calving habitat).

P.

PostPosted: May 16th, 2020, 1:58 pm 

I will keep your ELA info in my back pocket. Not an area I'm familiar with; but would really enjoy a trip to Dryberry. My reagular canoe partner is having some health issues so I won't be going anytime soon. I've wanted to try solo but that will not be my first trip.

I understand your wanting to go somewhere without boats, crowds etc. I feel that way myself, which is why I do not go to Whiteshell often. However, after a long winter a trip down Hanson's Creek to Francis lake may not be too bad? There are 2 camp spots available on the lake. I don't think it's as popular as some places so it may be worth a shot. I expect water levels are still high. I may venture on a day trip down the creek just to have a look.

Also, have you considered crown land areas for some wilderness canoeing and camping? Places like the Rice River, or Maskwa? I don't expect too many people will be out. At least nothing like you would expect at the more popular spots. How about putting in at Wallace and going up the Broadleaf? Crowds at Wallace lake maybe, but as you move up the Broadleaf it'll be more solitary. I think you can camp anywhere along the route. According to Manitoba Conservation : "Wilderness camping areas do not include any camping infrastructure, but camping can occur at any suitable location."

https://www.gov.mb.ca/sd/parks/park-map ... ikaki.html

PostPosted: May 19th, 2020, 11:37 am 

Thanks, good recommendations.

I was on Wanipigow years ago, but not up to Leaf, and I would go back, but if I do go back up to Wallace I also may try a different direction next time. It's a bit of a drive for a short get-away.

Rice R. I just learned about and will go to sometime.

Maskwa I tried last year and will go back for sure just based on proximity for a short trip.

P.

PostPosted: May 22nd, 2020, 8:56 am 

We paddled in to Mantario from Big Whiteshell over the long weekend. No other paddlers and no motors of course. Saw a whole bunch of folks on the hiking trail that runs by the first few lakes, didn't envy them the heat and the ticks! We weren't fishing but there did seem to be a lot of fish in those lakes. We even saw a mamma moose and calf (from a distance)

PostPosted: May 22nd, 2020, 1:46 pm 

chris randall wrote:
We paddled in to Mantario from Big Whiteshell over the long weekend. No other paddlers and no motors of course. Saw a whole bunch of folks on the hiking trail that runs by the first few lakes, didn't envy them the heat and the ticks! We weren't fishing but there did seem to be a lot of fish in those lakes. We even saw a mamma moose and calf (from a distance)

Chris! We almost paddled to Two Lake Sat/Sun but decided to pick an easier paddle up the Manigotagan to Jackpine instead.

We were worried about geting to Two Lake to find other campers. Hard to share sites and physically distance.

PostPosted: May 25th, 2020, 8:18 am 

If you want to explore the south atikaki you can try the put in at birch falls and head up the broadleaf to leaf lake. I’ve not been there recently but I checked out birch falls May long and there was 5 vehicles parked there so I presume the route and portages are navigable. I did go west from Wallace a couple weeks ago down the wanipigow about 4 portages to some nice falls. The paddle on Wallace was difficult because of the wind, which is why you may want to try birch falls. It’s recently burned there, but it looks as though it’s not too far to go to unburned areas. It’s a really neat canyon and falls, I wish I saw it before it burnt