View topic - Few questions about the Manigotagan River...

It is currently December 15th, 2019, 4:57 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: June 19th, 2011, 10:29 pm 

I am wanting to plan a trip on the Manigotagan River early in July.

What is the the water level/current like right now?

In Hap Wilson's book "Wilderness Rivers of Manitoba" it shows a Pictograph site on the south shore of Long lake. Is this fairly easy to find?

Also, I was hoping to find the Jet Fighter remains which according to http://www.mbeconetwork.org/canoemap/ma ... /index.htm is about 2km east of Manigotagan. Anyone have any tips for finding it?

Thanks, so much!

PostPosted: June 20th, 2011, 3:00 pm 

The jet fighter did crash somewhere in that vicinity, apparently while training. It was a long time ago, but there are people who recall it happening, and claim to have seen the wreckage. Nobody I have known is able to find the wreckage now, and there certainly aren't any commonly known directions. The folks who made the map interviewed locals and were not able to get a precise location either.

The pictograph site is on RL as you go down the lake, which is the South side. When looking at it, you will be facing sort of W,SW and looking at a reasonably prominent rock face, though not too high. It is in a shallow bay that often has plenty of vegitation, but can still be paddled though. It is easy to find, if you know where to look. I think the MB eco network map has GPS co-ordinates.

Not sure of the water level, but guessing fairly high.