View topic - Bloodvein River Solo August 2015 (Finally Updated!)

It is currently November 21st, 2019, 4:11 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: January 23rd, 2016, 8:20 pm 

Thank you all, recped, true_north, VA paddler and Alan for the great inspiration. I have been looking for a (probably) last major trip and this looks like a good one.
Erica

PostPosted: February 1st, 2016, 7:36 pm 

Thanks, Alan, for the response. I've written you a PM, but it appears to be sitting idly in my Outbox. Did you receive it?

PostPosted: April 10th, 2016, 10:42 pm 

I have finally completed (sort of) my day by day journal/report for this trip.

Way too many words, pictures and video and probably a bunch of typo's and broken links!

http://recped.com/bloodvein/

PostPosted: April 11th, 2016, 9:28 am 

thanks recped
I spent 4 hours totally engaged in your text + photo shots + video
I wonder if someone in Manitoba might be interested in purchasing a
promotional copy?

PostPosted: April 11th, 2016, 10:47 am 

Another thanks - a really excellent journal that I stayed up much too late reading and watching last night.

The effort you put into this is greatly appreciated.

-jmc

PostPosted: April 11th, 2016, 6:20 pm 

Thanks Recped, this is a wonderful.

I plan on paddling the Bloodvein next summer / fall, so this is a great resource!

What model of Mohawk canoe were you paddling?

PostPosted: April 11th, 2016, 7:08 pm 

It was an XL14 but now it's an XL14 with a "tweaked" nose!

PostPosted: April 11th, 2016, 11:00 pm 

Love the photos. Wow the water was low. I camped at your Camp #20 in 2014 and there was significant current between shore and the island; peninsula in your case.

Crazy to see the difference in water levels along the rocks. I think the low water makes it more scenic. Especially in the narrow channels.

PostPosted: April 11th, 2016, 11:15 pm 

Yikes- it is past midnight and I've spent the past hour + reading your report. A most enjoyable read which brought back a memory or two.

You certainly had some bad weather days to deal with but it did make for some great photos!

I had to replay your easy slipping down Rapid #85 a couple of times. It became K.O. Rapids to my bro and I thanks to our unexpected wipe out there! It looks like there was less water than back a couple of years ago.

PostPosted: April 12th, 2016, 4:05 pm 

Thanks true_north! I carried your Bloodvein trip report with me, good info and a few chuckles over your portaging "issues".

Water was low for sure but for this trip I was not searching for thrills and especially not looking for spills. Water was also low when I was on the Berens and Pigeon in 2011. I guess I'll need to visit in the Spring or Fall next time.

Here's the water level graph during my trip:

Attachment:
Bloodvein_water_levels_july20-aug19_2015_small.jpg
Bloodvein_water_levels_july20-aug19_2015_small.jpg [ 110.44 KiB | Viewed 1953 times ]

2015 was a bit odd for water levels, they were a bit higher than normal in June, quite a bit lower than normal in late July and August then higher than normal from the end of August.

Attachment:
Bloodvein_water_levels_2015.jpg
Bloodvein_water_levels_2015.jpg [ 96.5 KiB | Viewed 1953 times ]

PostPosted: April 13th, 2016, 8:27 pm 

Recped, great report. I was looking forward to part 2. The part that will definitely stay with me: the rapids-lining canoe getaway. Very humble of you not to deep-six that chapter of your Bloodvein history. Lesser mortals would have burned and paper-shredded all relevant documents. You didn't. Instead, you let the Go-Pro run. You, though, were above running. You walked, almost "sauntered", after the escaping Mohawk. James Fooking Bond! To be accurate, I'd say you walked "purposefully", but without any unbecoming panting or nervous muttering. You quietly, with an almost perverse dignity, followed that foolish boat first on two feet and then in an almost splashless free-styling front crawl that would have made Kaitlyn Jenner smile. I won't ask if you edited the soundtrack, because I don't want to believe you did. Thanks for sharing your trip. I'm still thinking of doing the Bloodvein in August.

PostPosted: April 17th, 2016, 5:40 pm 

Thanks for the trip report . I finally had time to sit down and enjoy it . Well done . scouter Joe

PostPosted: June 30th, 2016, 7:24 pm 
CCR Assistant Administrator

Well that took a long time to finish but it was a BIG chunk to swallow. Awesome trip recording. I liked the music in your vids too. Thanks for putting it all together!

PostPosted: June 30th, 2016, 8:36 pm 

The Bloodvein is officially on my Bucket List (yes, I do keep an actual written list). Along with true_north's report, this will be a great resource when I get closer to making the trip a reality.

I've been wondering if I could get away with bringing a kev/spec boat instead of my RX. True_north & his brother paddled it in a kevlar boat. I think after watching your rapid-running clips I'd be best off with the RX.

I was up in WCPP during August 2015, and can relate to the constant on-again, off-again rain situation. Often raining overhead, with several blue patches visible just a few km's away.

Like MartinG, I really dug the music you chose to accompany your video clips. Well done!

www.mikemonaghan.ca

PostPosted: June 30th, 2016, 9:03 pm 

@canoeguitar

If you are like me and usually drag portages and/or liftovers an RX boat would be best. In the actual rapids I rarely scrapped or hit anything. The only place I actually ran aground was when taking the low water shortcuts, even those would have been fine if the water was a bit higher.

If you can carry your boat and use a tiny amount of judgment just about any type of boat would be ok.