View topic - Request for advice on choosing a tripping area in Quebec

It is currently February 28th, 2021, 8:18 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: January 21st, 2021, 11:32 am 

Hi folks, I'm in the earliest of stages of planning 2 weeks of tripping in Quebec in the fall (Sept/Oct). I have no experience tripping in Quebec, (although I do speak French) and am seeking to identify an area or route that meets the following criteria:

- Canadian Shield geography (rock, black spruce, jack pine, lots of interconnected lakes),
- Un-regulated or Crown Land, so that there are no issues with carrying a non-restricted firearm, which I hope to
never fire unless in dire situation, and no requirement to book campsites with anyone,
- Has a drivable route to a put-in, and some form of at least quasi-secure location to leave a vehicle during the
trip,
- Good probability of existing portages around anything more frisky than stock standard class 2 moving water,
- If possible, a circle route which starts/ends at the same point

For anyone who may be familiar with the general area of the Churchill River system in north central Saskatchewan, particularly around the McLennan Lake neighbourhood, it is an area like that that I seek in Quebec, if such exists.

I know that some places stop canoeing to allow for hunting, and I want to avoid those areas as well.

I sense that this may be a tall order, and that I will need to make compromises in my thinking, but it has to start somewhere, and so for whatever anyone may be able to offer, I am grateful. Thanks. Cheers.

Ubique

PostPosted: January 23rd, 2021, 8:33 am 

If your French is good, you can head here: https://www.canot-kayak.qc.ca/parcour_rechercher.php to search for a prescribed route. The book "Guide des Parcours Canotables du Quebec" is a great reference, but I think it might be hard to find. Another good route site: http://www.cartespleinair.org/Canot/cartes.html

If you're on crown land, then no governing body is going to stop you from accessing it during hunting season. If it were me, I'd choose another time - it's a bit wild west out there. In the zone with which I am familiar (15), moose rifle season starts October 9th.

Although I haven't done any research other than a poring over a map, and being that I am quite familiar with the specific area having had a hunting camp nearby, I've wondered about doing my own, bushwacking route involving Troyes, Castelveyre, Villiers, Moyre, and back. Around this area: 47°08'44.5"N 74°09'50.1"W. It's not "totally" wild, as there are hunting/fishing camps along the route.