View topic - Leaf River

It is currently June 16th, 2019, 2:25 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 19th, 2003, 3:44 pm 

I am thinking of the leaf river in Norther Quebec, likely in 2004 as my trips are set for this year.

Any one done this trip? Any info on charter flight from Kujjuaq, canoe rentals, water taxi from the mouth of the river, or paddling Ungava bay.

Brian

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 19th, 2003, 4:13 pm 

Alv at http://www.pakboats.com has had some involvement in planning trips there using his folding canoes. Not sure about how much detail he might have, but he can probably put you in touch with the folks who went. I think there's a bit info on the river on his site, but can't recall for sure. It'll be under "comments from the field" type section.

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 20th, 2003, 7:38 pm 

Thanks, I had hit upon that web site before, but that is about all the info I have been able to dig up. Very little info on this river, that is likely on of the things that make it apealing.

Pack boats might be the way to go, does anyone offer them as rentals?

I think there are a few boats in Kujjuaq for rent, that may well be cheeper than tring to transport boats to and from Montreal.

The other though I had was driving up to the great whale area and flying in from there (shorter flight), take junker canoes and sell/trade them at the end. flight back to great whale and drive home.

At least I have the rest of this winter and all of next to figgure it out.

Brian

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 2nd, 2003, 3:37 pm 

Rolf is right. The http://www.pakboats.com site has a couple of stories under "PakCanoes in Use". The first, by Tim Kunin, includes a day-by-day description of the trip. He flew in from Kuujjuaq to a lake SE of Minto to reduce the length of the air shuttle, then paddled to the eastern end of Minto and down the river. He has a "interesting" description of the tides on the trip from the mouth of the river to Tasiuaq. In his written account he described the experience as an "adrenaline rush". On the phone, he used the word "frightening". You should take those tides seriously.

Will Lange used the other fly-in option and flew to the western end of Minto. They had a difficult time with headwinds on Minto.

I am also aware of a party (using hardshell canoes) coming up over land from Hudson Bay. Will probably see them next weekend at the wilderness canoeing symposium at Hulbert Outdoor Center in Vermont.(The Hulbert event is very nice. It is where the WCA symposium organizers go to recuperate after their Toronto megasymposium). Highly recommended.

Alv

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 3rd, 2003, 8:49 pm 

Thanks for the info, I checked out the Pakboat site. All most sounds too good to be true, but the testamonials say alot.

At leats 2 trips I have in the future plans would benifit from a canoe that could pack on the plain rather than being tied to the outside. It would be nice to have a solo pakboat, as it would be easy to squeese into flights that are limited by the number of canoes they can carry rather than weight or number of passangers.

Are ther any dealers or distibuters in Ontario, or is the only option to get it shipped in from the States. I would not imagine this would be too big of a deal to get it shipped up though.

There does not seem to be much of a used market for these pakboats, is this due to the owners loving them so much and not wanting to part with them?

Brian

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 4th, 2003, 11:38 am 

I did the Leaf with Sunrise in 1994. I thought it was great. There were no portages. But a lot of good high volume class II+ to class III rapids. Sections have good fishing. There are many ponds close to the river with excellent brook trout fishing. I think it's a good choice of Arctic rivers with "reasonable" logistics.

You can get a flight from Montreal or Ottawa straight to Kujjuac. Then, there is a float plan service in Kujjuac. They sent a pick up truck to the airport to pick us up. We were standing on the banks of the Leaf about 7 hours after leaving Montreal.

In my opinion, the options about return logistics are vastly more complicated. Our guide had consulted tide tables. We ran the final rapid at high tide. And zipped down the bay to a reversing waterfall, where we were more or less forced to stop and camp. The bay dropped I would estimate 25 feet in about an hour and a half. We ran out of water. The next day a boat from Tasiujaq picked us up and took us back to the Kujjuac.

Watching the tide go out and come back in by the reversing waterfall was a great experience. However, if it was me, I would camp on the upstream side (important detail) of the last rapid, do a day hike to see the tide go out, and have a float plane pick up at the last rapid.

I liked the people from Tasiujaq but a pick up from the village or (I advise against) paddling to the village adds complexity to the end of the trip.

I recommend against taking the boat from Tasiujac to Kujjuac. Depending on the time and tide, they may have to stop at night. Worse yet, you could end up arriving back in Kujjuac at a bad time. At night the big K is a questionable place. Camping on that beach might be problematic.

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 21st, 2005, 9:39 am 

I am doing the feasibility study (logistics and price) on the trip similar to one described by Tim Kunin at http://www.pakboats.com/exper6.html (Lac Nedlouc - Charpentier – Leaf). It looks all very complicated and any help –suggestions would be highly appreciated.

My first idea was to drive by James Bay Road (maybe also Transtaiga Road) to Radisson/Le Grande/Laforge/Brisay (ideally Brisay) and fly from there to Lad Nedluac and back there from Tasiujaq, but especially the price of the flight back is enormous. I found only Air Inuit charters who could fly us from and to LeGrande 2, but I’m sure there must be some small private charter plane flying to and from Laforge 1.

Anyway, my second idea is to drive to Sept-Iles, then take train to Schefferville, then fly regular airline to Kuujjuaq. From Kuujuaq we would fly charter to the put-in. Going back, we would fly regular airline Tasiujaq – Kuujjuaq – Schefferville and back to car(s) in Sept-Iles by train. There would be 3 options for charter from Kuujjuaq – Air Inuit, Johnny May and Atai Air Charters (I contacted only Air Inuit so far).

As for the canoes, we would ideally use pakboats, but I would need to buy it, plus anyone else in the party would have to own one per couple. That would again add to the price. I wonder about the shipping ABS canoes (to Kuujjuaq and back from Tasiuaq) via cargo ships (Transport Degagnes or North Eastern Arctic Shipping). Would that be financially quite acceptable? Would they handle shipping canoes well? Where would we ship canoes to in Kuujjuaq and with whom would we leave them in Tasiujaq after we leave and before the cargo ship arrive? Does anyone here have any experience with such shipping?

Thank you

Last edited by Wolverine on August 22nd, 2007, 8:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 22nd, 2007, 8:58 am 

Just came back from incredible trip, most likely the best trip of my whole life (past & future). I have so many experiences & stories to tell, so guys get ready for our trip report (it will take me quite some time to sort it all out, but it will be done). Ungava is incredible, best place in the world for wilderness canoeists.

Brief story: Lynette & me in Appalachian Old Town canoe flew on July 29 to Lac Nedlouc, paddled the lake, then Riviere Charpentier, joined Leaf at east end of Lac Minto and paddled down to Tasiujaq. We flew out from Finger Lake (south of Tasiujaq) on August 20.

Fantastic journey.

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 22nd, 2007, 5:55 pm 

Really can't wait to hear the whole story....make sure to include the "brutality" aspects!

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 23rd, 2007, 7:11 am 

Congrats, Lester & Linette.
Its good to see you keep on going ,just like the energizer bunny!
Jerry

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 23rd, 2007, 2:27 pm 

Les - Congratulations on a fine accomplishment.

Other posters should know that I did about 2/3 of the Leaf in the mid 90's with an outfitter. I have exchanged several emails with Les about this river over the years. I also regard the Leaf as my absolute best trip - if God forced me to pick.

In 1994 we flew in to a midway point on the river from Kuujjuac. However, the logistics for doing the whole river from Lake Minto are far more difficult. Les did extensive research on the logistics. He finally developed a strategy for access and egress that I thought was very well conceived. He has done us all a favor in terms of future parties contemplating this river.

I can't wait for the full report.

Frankr

Post subject: Pakcanoes?
PostPosted: August 25th, 2007, 2:48 pm 

Hello Lester,

Wow, I'm jealous. I know I should wait for the report but I just like to know if you paddled pakcanoes as planned? And, if you did, what's your review?

Thanks.

Stéphan

Post subject: Re: Pakcanoes?
PostPosted: August 27th, 2007, 9:50 am 

Pere Loup wrote:
I know I should wait for the report but I just like to know if you paddled pakcanoes as planned? And, if you did, what's your review

No, we paddled Old Town Appalachian with a spraydeck. By what I have seen last year on Moisie (one canoe in our group was pakcanoe) it is a good boat, however, still more gentle & fragile than ABS canoe. We did a lot of roughing especially down the Charpentier.

I think if I move on the river beyond the Leaf (i.e. north of Leaf) pakcanoe will be the only choice due to logistics.

Post subject: Leaf....
PostPosted: September 1st, 2007, 8:57 pm 

you lucky, hard working guy. that was always a trip of my dreams. Always wanted to go accross Ungava. good going. welcome back.

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 6th, 2007, 9:53 am 

Frankr wrote:
Les - Congratulations on a fine accomplishment.

I can't wait for the full report.

Frankr

I thought I might share with you that Lester has offered to give a presentation at our Feb 8-9 annual Symposium in Toronto and I of course agreed. (The 'Events' thread has more on this)

Some reflections of my own. Some time ago (it seems too long ago) my daughter and I paddled our old 18-ft Grumman in this area. We started at Great Whale on Hudson BAy, went up the coast and inland to Lac Minto, down the Leaf to Tasiujaq. Then from there along Ungava Bay to Kuujjuaq.
A great trip with a very great daughter. The most difficult section was the Ungava part with its tides. I'm 67 now and don't think I could do it again but this makes it all the more pleasurable to reflect back on it.

Back then it did not cost us so much because we did not charter. I agree that if you don't have the time, as we did, pakboats may be the only practical choice as far as minimizing costs go.