View topic - Broadback Campsites near James Bay Rd. Access Point

It is currently August 9th, 2020, 3:22 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: June 12th, 2020, 12:46 pm 

I am planning on running the Broadback with 5 other folks (3 canoes) end of July through early August this year. We are hoping to get on the water in the early afternoon when we arrive (James Bay Rd Access).

We don't have a super flexible schedule/timing given work and such. And we are trying to get a gauge on camping options that are possible for the first day (we will be eager to get away from the highway).

Looking at the various trip reports, it appears there are definitely lots of option 20KM downriver... but timing wise it might be tight depending, sunlight and we won't be in tune at all with the water when making that decision.

Does anyone know if there are beaches if water levels are in the 200 range (or what ranges), or if you can pull up at Lawrence's cabins (what is that?). Just trying to get off the highway and onto the water and see what might be possible.

Thanks so much.
J

PostPosted: June 12th, 2020, 2:41 pm 

I paddled the lower River in 2004, levels were at about 300cms when we started, I don't recall any beaches until after the big falls. We stayed the first night on a small rock island in that 20km+ zone. We had stopped at the Tent Cabins, it was a pretty lumpy spot, never checked out Lawrences's cabin (he is/was a local). I would not count on there being much in the way of tent spots there (just a guess).

Camping at the put-in is not so bad, actually quite nice, at that time there was almost no traffic on the highway.

PostPosted: June 13th, 2020, 12:46 pm 

Thanks so much recped. Would you give the river at that point a 5km per hour clip? Or how would you judge it. Trying to gauge off the big water rivers that you can move at a steady pace assuming no big rapidos for scouting and such.

J

PostPosted: June 13th, 2020, 5:51 pm 

Memory is a bit fuzzy but I recall good current through most of the river, less in the wide expansions.

Line the first R4 on the left, be cautious with your approach and if you are inclined to investigate the portage on river right first then be very careful if you decide to ferry back to river left. I don't think that portage marked on the Kovac map is used by anyone.

PostPosted: June 13th, 2020, 10:10 pm 

That was kind, Recped. And I do concur, line that first R4 on the left, watch the approach, and forget about the portage on the right - it's barely there, or so I was told.

When we did it last summer it was up around 330, I think. We had hoped to catch some of the marked beach campsites on Day 1, but they were underwater. I can, however, confirm that there are beaches in those places. What the water level has to be to see them, I don't know.

If you can get to Matagami the night b4, you can catch the hotel there, then it's about 3 hours to the put-in - much less if they've finished some of the paving they were working on last summer. Also remember you'll have daylight til 10 or so. I think we were unloaded and had said goodbye to our vehicle at the putin by about 1pm and got to the tent cabins by 6 or 7pm. We pitched tents outside the cabins which was fine. Not much of a view, but fine. Buggy.

As to the clip of the river, you'll get a sense of it here. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xUZRocYDp_Q

Have fun!

PostPosted: June 14th, 2020, 12:14 pm 

Thanks so much for all the advice.

I read your trip report as well VA paddler โ€“ sorry to hear about it, and even crazier to watch some of it! Looks like a big river!

Decent news on the sites (and paddle time)... should water level be lower ideally in the 200 range. But with sunlight looks like even a 2-3pm head onto the water is doable โ€“ albeit not ideal... as don't want to be cutting it close or paddling close to night.

Best!
Jared

PostPosted: June 16th, 2020, 12:32 am 

Have fun! We'll all look forward to your trip report.

PostPosted: June 16th, 2020, 7:02 am 
CCR Assistant Administrator

@Jared Have you confirmed that you can do the Broadback this summer? Currently there is restricted access to the Cree Territories of James Bay. There is conflicting information on whether there are checkpoints but the communities (Waskaganish) remain closed and the Quebec government says only essential travel is authorized to these regions.

https://www.quebec.ca/en/health/health- ... r-covid19/

PostPosted: June 16th, 2020, 11:53 am 

Thanks MartinG - I just recently found out about this speaking to the folks up in Waskaganish just recently โ€“ as before it didn't seem that there were restritions. We will only going if it is allowed (and are all getting tested before departure etc.). Appreciate the heads up.