View topic - May two 4 Miramichi run Half Moon to Boiestown

It is currently September 22nd, 2020, 12:23 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: May 5th, 2004, 7:23 am 

Looks like we're in for a rough run on the rock riddled Miramichi this year. As of today water levels are at 40% of last years level at this time. Only a torrential downpour a couple of days before the run will raise our hopes of not destroying the bottom of our boats on the many rocks.

In the early 90's we had such a year. The 100 year high water event. People died, RCMP helicopters scoured the river banks looking for lucky paddlers who were scattered along the banks.

We learned about the power that year. Water levels 6-8 feet above normal makes for quite a show. I would like to get a little offering before the run but it's a dangerous dance. I hope everyone takes care and doesn't let anything but sound judgement shape their actions on the rivers this spring. 140 beers and 3 pounds of bologna on a four day run doesn't make for much of a technical paddling exposition.

We enjoy the rivers here every year, but memories of that event come back every spring about this time. As the statisticians imply, I hope we won't see another event like that for another 90 years :)

I'd like to see more New Brunswickers in here, spread the word about the Gaspereau. the Nepisiguit, the little southwest, Naasis and other great spring runs in rural New Brunswick.
take care and keep your boat in the water :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 6th, 2004, 6:54 pm 

Have also been watching the levels on the St Croix and they are around 220 cfs, should be at least 350 cfs with 6-900 being fun. We were on the St Croix the year of the really high water levels. We knew that it was going to be fun when we got to the put in at Vanceborough and the water was in the parking lot.
Sad to hear that the Miramachi is so low as that is our second choice if Domtar doesn't put enough water in the river.
Speaking of the Nepisiquit, have you ever paddled it? Is it canoeable from the provincial park to the mouth? I grew up un Dalhousie and at some time would like to paddle it.
Lets see if we can get more maritimers on here.

Post subject: Nepisiguit
PostPosted: May 10th, 2004, 7:15 am 

Buddy of mine replied about the Nepisiguit:

YUP, GOOD CANOin FROM THE PARK DOWN, NEED A RIVER MAP TO GET AROUND THE FALLS, OR U CAN GO OVER EM, BUT I WOULDN'T RECOMMEND IT!

Once you see the falls you won't beleive that he went over them, but he did.

River maps available from SNB:

http://www.web11.snb.ca/snb8000/dept.as ... ptID=2&l=e

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 10th, 2004, 1:05 pm 

I agree with the suggestion for more New Brunswickers to participate in here. There are many people here with lots of useful "local information".

I live in Fredericton. My favorite day paddle in the area is definately Tay Creek. Its only about a half hour outside of Fredericton and is an excellent run providing there is sufficient water. It is very responsive to rain and tends to peak very quicly, and not last for long. I can give some more info or check out "Nanook of the Nashwaak" website.

As for water levels, it seems like we are almost at summertime levels already. I had planned a trip on SW Miramichi this coming weekend, but think I'll pass given the low water. I thought the St Croix would be a sure bet but its also too low. I think I will do an overnight trip on the Little Tobique. I have done it before (Mt Carleton park to Riley Brook). Its not white water but it has many fast corners that are quite challenging.

Post subject: Becaguimic
PostPosted: May 10th, 2004, 2:13 pm 

In light of the low water levels I have another suggestion, the Becaguimic.

It is doable from Fredericton any night after work, and is even more feasable if you are in the Woodstock area. Last weekend it rose 1-2 feet from that bit of rain we had. Put in at Coldstream and float to the St. John River, float to Woodstock and take out.

Buddy of mine did it last weekend and summarized:

"WOW. that is and was a fun little run. it was up prolly 1.5 - 2 feet from weekend levels. other boat that went with me had a major flip, they floated 250 yards, over 2 or 3 sets of ledges, lost some beer and 1 set of eyeglasses. was a good one. inexpierience was a factor in the flip.
we will keep an eye on the river for the next month or so. all it takes is a good hard rain to bring it up to where its fun. so when ya do get your truck fixed up we can get ya up here to run er'
i would compare it to the nashwaak stream only a little wider and MORE action. ie longer stretches of slashes and waves"

I live in McCleod Hill so I'd love to try the Tay if we get some rain, where do you put in at?

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 10th, 2004, 4:34 pm 

pete you can get the put in info from nanook of the nashwaak's site. If you try it watch out for the falls, I went for a unexpected swim down them this april and found my canoe about half a kilometer downstream wedged around an iceberg. still a fun day though. :oops:

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 10th, 2004, 9:47 pm 

Hello folks,

I have some info for you re water levels and local rivers. I live in Woodstock. Check out http://scitech.pyr.ec.gc.ca/waterweb/fu ... id=01AJ010

this will give you real time water levels on the Becaguimec. I have already paddled it 5 times this year (all in my ww kayak but is lots of fun in a canoe). The best levels are in the .8 to 1.0 m levels but it can still be canoed down to .6 or so. To make the trip longer drive past Coldstream to Stormdale and put in below the little covered bridge there. It will take you 3-4 hours tot the take out from there. We always take out at the old train bridge at the mouth of the Becaguimec. You can even put in at Pole Hill to make a real day trip. The best ww and most challenging part is from Coldstream down. There are several hairpins which create interesting standing waves and eddys as the water passes over the ledges on the outside turns. Some canoe experience would be an asset at higher levels.

The Big Presquile river is another short trip which can be done from the US border crossing near Centerville to where it empties into the SJR. This would be about a 1hr 30 min drive from Fredericton.

The Eel river enters the SJR at Meductic and it can be run in the Spring and at high water levels. Put in at Benton by the little covered bridge and take out at the park in Meductic. This trip is longer and features a waterfall 10-12' and a gorge which need to be portaged in a canoe. You may run the gorge depending how you are outfitted.

If you are like me and enjoy a double bladed and single bladed action the Aroostick river has a dam at the US border called the Tinker Dam which releases water regularly. A great standing wave forms over a ledge about 1 km down from the dam which you can park and play at. Water levels also available on the same web site.

As far as the Nepisiguit goes, I have run it from the park down to the Bathurst Mines dam. Make sure you scout Indian Falls and The Gorge. You can run both depending on levels but remember to check for a fourth drop at Indian Falls.

Other NB river water levels can be accessed by clicking Text Search on the left.

We should hook up some time if you are interested. My paddling friends and I are doing the Bonnaventure in Que on the long weekend. I hope the water level is OK up there. Wish us luck :wink:

Post subject: NBPaddlin'
PostPosted: May 11th, 2004, 7:02 am 

WOOHOO !! It's raining 8)

GREAT information, I've got a good buddy in Woodstock who drops his boat in regularily up there. He just got a new Appalachian this spring at the Old Town sale and he's tickled with it. He got an Adventure 139 down there as well so maybe we can initiate the vessel. I'll certainly let you know when we're planning a little float.

PS I picked up an Allagash 174 down there which I am deliberating keeping or selling. If I could get $800 for it I'd sell it. It's only been in a lake once, I'll be straight up and tell you I got it for $450 American at the sale, duty and currency conversion I've got $670 Canadian +/- a few dollars into it.

Give er,
Pete

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 12th, 2004, 2:28 pm 

Myself and a buddy of mine are shoving off from half moon this saturday morning (may 15) by 8am..... hopin to be at Norrad bridge by sunday suppertime, we will be returnin to woodstock via fredericton. If anyone cares to paddle along see ya there..... we're the 2 solo fellas in appalachians. on monday I will post just how low the water is....

later
jp

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 13th, 2004, 9:42 pm 

JP

Welcome to CCR! How did you guys make out the other day on the 'Guimec? Those were perfect water levels that day.

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 14th, 2004, 2:04 pm 

Was down working in Boiestown this afternoon..... took a jaunt over to norrads bridge to check water level.... there is a lot less water now than there was last year around june 6th

Does anyone know of a good rain dance? I'm not a fast learner but I have a couple weeks to practice.

Jamie

Post subject: cfs
PostPosted: May 14th, 2004, 9:08 pm 

CFS on the Miramichi was at 1.6 on the long weekend last year and its at 1.3 right now, hard to get around it and its going to be even harder to get around all those damned rocks :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 17th, 2004, 8:29 am 

i ran the "chi" on the weekend. we left half moon at 9:30 am. arrived at clearwater for the night at 6pm. with a half hour for lunch and a half hour for RE running burnt hill...... on sunday am we hit the water at 10:30 at we paddled all the way past norrad bridge and took out at the mouth of the taxis river..... truck was loading and a fine irving coffee in my hand at 5pm.

there is lots of water at the levels this weekend. few more rocks than normal to move around. I do believe that burnt hill was MORE fun with a little less water. but that could have been the cold "pops" i was consuming too.

but that said there was and is plenty of water right now to float thru and have a great time.

later
jp

Post subject: Nepisigut
PostPosted: May 17th, 2004, 3:35 pm 

I just saw the question about whether the Nepisiguit is runnable. See my post in the routes section for a more detailed description from Mt Carelton Pr Park. It is the quintessential white-water river; unlike most rivers which start out lively and end out quite as a mouse, it starts out rather docile and winds itself up to end with a bang. The best whitewater is below the dam.

I could certainly see how someone could go over the falls. Out of no-where, the river picks up a tremendous head of steam and starts dropping in a hurry. But you shouldn't have any problem if your reading a topo

Timbo

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 17th, 2004, 6:57 pm 

Palmer, thanks for the report. We plan on running it on the holiday weekend and am trying to plan campsites using your timing and looking at the river map. Trying to get in the water by lunchtime on Friday, we will however be doing some fishing and a larger group doesn't move as fast. 7.5 hours from Halfmoon to Clearwater, at these water levels I'm assuming that there wern't a lot of "bladder" breaks.