View topic - West Hart River: start from Lomond Creek or source West Hart

It is currently August 6th, 2020, 8:59 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: May 26th, 2020, 1:23 pm 

Hey all
I am a packrafter from Ukraine and I am planning my first trip to Canada.
I am considering the Black Stone River or the Hart River to their confluence with the Ogilvy River.
Maybe I'll be a solo.
I prefer uninhabited places and technically uncomplicated rivers.

There were a few questions:
1. Where is the best starting point for West Hart River? In a few reports, everyone started from Lomond Creek, but why not from the source West Hart River, more south ? After all, there is also a good start. At least that's what it looks like on topographic maps and satellite imagery.

2. How many people on these rivers in August?
If I understand correctly, these are not very popular rivers. By the way, why?

3. If I am alone, I will be hitchhiking from Dawson City to the starting point. How problematic is the hitchhiking on the Dempster Highway? Is highway traffic mainly tourists or locals?

4. How are the bears in the area? There are a lot of them? Are they aggressive? Are the usual precautions enough?

Thank you!

PostPosted: May 27th, 2020, 3:05 pm 

Hi, I have paddled the Hart twice. One time from Elliott Lake and one time from Worm Lake. Both times in August, I met only one person once.

Bears are around, But I saw much more on the Snake River. Usual precautions and respect are useful. Keep in mind, that this region is realy seldom paddled and take a bear spray and a SPOT/ InReach with you. Helicopter support is far away, expect days not hours if you need help. To reach the Hart is sometimes nasty in dry years, in good years you have to line and drag your canoe down Elliott Creek for 10-20 km....maybe the reason for less popularity. The Hart is a gem!

Sorry, I have no information for the West Hart as a starting point. I think, your biggest problem are the Corona-restrictions, if you are not living in the Territory!

Stefan, Switzerland