View topic - Blackstone or Hart River

It is currently August 3rd, 2020, 7:29 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Blackstone or Hart River
PostPosted: March 29th, 2010, 4:32 am 

Hi,

I was wondering if someone has more information about the Blackstone or Hart River. I've read already the river descriptions in ""Wild Rivers of the Yukon's Peel Watershed".
If we do the "Hart River", we can fly-in to Elliot Lake but then we have to do lining or portage the 23 km on the Elliot Creek if there is low water. Can we do that in 3 days if we choose a "portage", because pulling the inflatable Grabner over the rocks is maybe not so a good idea?
Is it true that, if the water is low, they can't do a fly-out at Canyon Creek? I gona check it with Blacksheep Aviation.
When we go for the Blacstone how can we best do the shuttle to the start place at the Dempster highway (km145)? Renting an outfitter?
All information is welcome to help us with the preparation.
Last year I was on the Wind River with a group of 6 Belgian guys and we had a wonderfull time.
At this moment we are only with 4, otherwise the Snake was our first choice but the cost for the floatplane with 4 is a little bit to expensive. We come from Belgium, so we have already to pay a flight of 1000 euro.

Thanks in advance
Francis

PostPosted: March 31st, 2010, 12:23 am 

I can't tell you much about the Hart. If you do the Blackstone, are you planning on going down Aberdeen Canyon on the Peel? Serious business, that. A float plane can land on the Peel, just below where the Ogilvie joins the Blackstone to create the Peel. For a shuttle to the put in, you should ask at the Dawson Trading Post.

PostPosted: March 31st, 2010, 9:08 pm 

Hi Francis,

I haven't done the Blackstone, but I can tell you a few things about the Hart. It is a bigger river than the Blackstone, and there are some significant rapids, although they can be lined and/or portaged.

If cost is a concern, the Hart won't be much cheaper than the Snake... less for the flight to Elliot Lake than to Duo Lakes, but a similar cost for the pickup.

I would be very surprised if low water caused a problem with a pickup at Canyon Creek. Still a good idea to check with Black Sheep though.

As far as the trip down Elliot Creek, when we did it 4 years ago, we paddled most of it, but did have to get out of the boats and walk a bit. The low parts of the creek were still 3-4 inches deep, so the canoes weren't really dragging over the rocks too much when we got out. It took us about 9 hours to travel from Elliot Lake to the Hart River.

On the other hand, I have talked to someone who had to deal with much lower water and the creek actually disappeared into the rocks at one or two points.

Let me know if you have any more questions.

PostPosted: April 1st, 2010, 1:51 am 

Thanks a lot for the info! I had send an e-mail to Blacksheep and that was the reply:
We now have a Beaver, it will take 4 pax and 2 canoes. The canoes must nest.
The cost to Elliot Lake this year is $1092.00 including tax. The pickup at
Canyon Ck. is $2755.20. The Beaver to Duo Lk. (Snake River) is $2268.00 and
pickup on Taco Bar (Peel River) is $2940.00. The trips are reduced by
roughly $75.00 if you do not have external loads. Thank you for your
interest.
For us (and maybe for others) is it good news that have now a plane for 4 peoples.
I will come with my inflatable canoe (http://www.grabner-sports.at/ADVENTURE. ... .html?&L=2) so maybe I must calculate to do a long portage on Elliot Creek... or is this kind of boat not suitable for the Hart River? It's the best quality boat you can find here in Europe (material is Hypalon), but 23 km pulling over the rocks is maybe not so good idea.
How many days did you paddled (and hours per day) and in which time of the year is the river and the area on his best? Wildlife viewing is for me always an extra on this kind of trips ...

Thanks
Francis

PostPosted: April 3rd, 2010, 5:10 pm 

Hi,

Sorry about the delay in responding.

We spent a very easy three weeks on the river with lots of hiking and several rest days. Ten days paddling in total including one long day on the Peel to get to Canyon Creek. The nine days paddling on the Hart were mostly short...maybe only 5-6 hours actual paddling/day.

We did our trip the last two weeks of July and the first week of August.

I can't really comment about the boat you have as I have never seen or used anything similar. I do know of a couple that did a trip down the Hart in a PakCanoe though if that helps. As I mentioned, it really depends on the water level and that depends on the rain, so it is hard to predict. They are calling for dry weather over the next three months, but can you trust the long term 3 month forecast? I do think that even in low water, you could travel down Elliot Creek in two days, allowing for some portaging.

I also mentioned that there are some significant rapids on the lower section of the Hart, and especially on the Peel before Canyon Creek. You can portage, line or run them depending on the actual rapid, your skill level and of course the boat you have. The most important thing is just using good judgement and scouting the rapids well.

The Hart River is not paddled a lot, so if you have a mishap, you might not see anyone else on the river for many days.