View topic - Information needed for the Wecho River

It is currently September 20th, 2020, 5:24 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: December 26th, 2009, 12:42 am 

Our group of 4 is looking for information on the Wecho River in NWT. Contact jstefany@sunwave.net if you can help out. Will hopefully do the trip this summer.

PostPosted: December 26th, 2009, 10:18 am 

I believe that Mary McCreadie's book provides some information; it is hard to find a copy these days though.
But someone here is an expert on that area.

A literal mind is a little mind. If it's not worth doing to excess, it's not worth doing at all. Good enough isn't.  None are so blind as those who choose not to see. (AJ)

PostPosted: December 26th, 2009, 3:58 pm 

Hi jstefany –

I have paddled the Wecho River, from Wecho Lake to Rae (now Behchoko).

You should know (I wish I had at the time) that the traditional Dogrib (Tlicho) canoe route up the Wecho did not continue up the river above Wheeler Lake: from Wheeler, it went east to Germaine Lake and then northeast by small stream and lakes to reach the Yellowknife River at Lower Carp Lake. Crossing the Yellowknife, it then went via a series of lakes and streams to reach the barren grounds in the vicinity of Grizzle Bear Lake. I have followed this route from Wheeler to Grizzle Bear also, and continued from there on to Lake Providence on the Coppermine.
Between Wecho Lake and Wheeler, I do not think that the Wecho was ever an important summer route. It was rough country when I was there, lots of old burn and boulders, with faint old trails only in a few places. Below Wheeler, trails are better except where they have been destroyed by fire. Trails on the route up from Germaine were good when I was there, but a couple who travelled the route last summer told me that they are deteriorating – much of that area burned in 1997, and the trees are continuing to fall.

When Christmas activities die down, I will send you an e-mail with more detailed information.

-jmc

PostPosted: March 15th, 2010, 2:09 am 

jmc..... looking forward to any info on the Wecho that you have... you're the only one I can find so far.

Jack

PostPosted: March 15th, 2010, 9:42 am 

jstefany -

I sent you 2 e-mails on December 30th - with attached trip logs and contacts - at the address in your initial post.

Did they not arrive? If you can't locate them, send me a PM here and I will try again.

Regards,
jmc

PostPosted: March 23rd, 2010, 4:11 pm 

Hi JMC,

I looked again... found them. Thanks so much. We may not be doing the Wecho now but the Snare....still up in the air. Thanks very much for your response!!! Jack

PostPosted: February 1st, 2012, 2:41 pm 

I will paddle the Wecho River this summer, and am trying to find some recent trip reports and more info on the route east to Germaine Lake and Lower Carp Lake. JMC, are you still around and able to pass along some of your knowledge on the route?

My email is dwayne.wohlgemuth@gmail.com if anyone could send me more info it would be appreciated!

jmc wrote:
Hi jstefany –

I have paddled the Wecho River, from Wecho Lake to Rae (now Behchoko).

You should know (I wish I had at the time) that the traditional Dogrib (Tlicho) canoe route up the Wecho did not continue up the river above Wheeler Lake: from Wheeler, it went east to Germaine Lake and then northeast by small stream and lakes to reach the Yellowknife River at Lower Carp Lake. Crossing the Yellowknife, it then went via a series of lakes and streams to reach the barren grounds in the vicinity of Grizzle Bear Lake. I have followed this route from Wheeler to Grizzle Bear also, and continued from there on to Lake Providence on the Coppermine.
Between Wecho Lake and Wheeler, I do not think that the Wecho was ever an important summer route. It was rough country when I was there, lots of old burn and boulders, with faint old trails only in a few places. Below Wheeler, trails are better except where they have been destroyed by fire. Trails on the route up from Germaine were good when I was there, but a couple who travelled the route last summer told me that they are deteriorating – much of that area burned in 1997, and the trees are continuing to fall.

When Christmas activities die down, I will send you an e-mail with more detailed information.

-jmc

PostPosted: February 1st, 2012, 2:44 pm 
CCR Assistant Administrator

Instead of privately sharing info via email, it would serve the larger community if helpful info was posted here.

That is the purpose of a public forum, after all.

:wink:

PostPosted: February 1st, 2012, 11:53 pm 

Hi Duende -

Yes, I am still around. I will be glad to share that information with you, although it may take me a while to dig it out. My filing system is not the best.

Where are you intending to start and finish your trip, and how long do you intend to be out? Let me know by posting again, or send me a PM.

Barbara -

I take your point, but much of my information on the Wecho is not in any electronic format, or at least a format which would be amenable to posting as a trip report here. I am hoping to get a couple of more "modern" trip reports up over the next few months, but digitizing some of my older routes would be a major task that I don't really have the time for at the moment.

The best I can do right now is to extend my offer to Duende to any other members of the forum that may be interested in this area: I will be glad to assist anyone who wants to contact me.

Regards,

jmc

PostPosted: February 2nd, 2012, 1:15 am 

I am looking at a 2 week trip but would be happy to extend it to three weeks. I was currently planning to follow the route listed in Mary McCreadie's book that begins at Wecho Lake and ends in Rae-Edzo (Behchoko), but I am interested by the route you mention that connects to the Yellowknife River. Not sure where we'd start to make a 2 week or 3 week trip following that route, but it would be nice to follow the traditional route. Likely with a gang of 4 or 6 in open canoes.

thanks for any info!
Duende

PostPosted: February 4th, 2012, 8:48 am 

Hi JMC
I did read yor post about the Wecho River and now I have the idea to do the Wecho upwards until Wheeler Lake then further to Lower Carp Lake and then down The Yellowknife River until Yelllowknife. I have the book from Mary Mc Creadie, so I need only information about the part from Wheeler Lake to Lower Carp Lake. Can you tell me please wich stream and wich Lakes I have to paddle in this stretch.
In case you wish to answer directly my e-mail is:
franz@marxegg.net otherwise you can post the Information naturally here.
Best regards
Franz
Sorry for my english, I hope you can unterstand me

PostPosted: April 13th, 2013, 12:36 am 

6 of us did the Wecho last year. We saw no human sign for the first 2/3 of the trip. There are no portages and rock gardens abound, especially at the beginning of the trip. It was a great experience, campsites were plentiful but be ready for tough slugging... one of the more arduous rivers we've done in the NWT.

PostPosted: April 13th, 2013, 11:57 am 

Well done, jstefany - "arduous" is a very good description of the upper Wecho above Wheeler Lake.

Did you start in Wecho Lake?

How did you bypass that "canyon" section into Wheeler? I'm still wondering if there was a better approach than the one I followed.

Regards,

jmc

PostPosted: April 14th, 2013, 7:39 am 

Yes, jmc is the expert on the area.

About 9 years ago I used his notes and the Wecho to paddle solo from Rae to MacKay Lake Lodge. I do remember a few tough portages and sections. There my wife Linda and daughter Tija and her husband flew in with a second canoe and more supplies. We four paddled to Courageous Lake and back to Yellowknife via the Yellowknife River. Really enjoyed the summer. The trip was a figure 8 - in going north one way solo and back via the other half of the 8. Can't give much more detail without going back to maps etc.

An interesting recollection. I was waiting at the Lodge for two days for their flight from Yellowknife - and my family and canoe on it. During that wait I managed to repair their washing machine and their microwave unit. They were very kind to me and then thought I could do anything. Not true.

PostPosted: April 24th, 2013, 11:15 pm 

jmc... Yes, we canoed from Wecho lake to Rae. The canyon,,, yes, the canyon. We tried to walk around it but we didn't find anything passable. So we shot what we could... and if you are careful can work around the big water (we used ropes, some of our team on shore, and some 6" footholds along the cliffs) that of course makes the canyon ominous. We did the Beaulieu in 08 and found it similar but overall an easier trip.