View topic - Looking for Yellowknife River from Greenstocking river notes

It is currently September 20th, 2020, 6:16 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: June 22nd, 2012, 1:51 am 

through a series of fortunate events I've got a flight from Yellowknife to Greenstocking for the 14th of July. I'll take 2 weeks to paddle back from Greenstocking to my houseboat on Yellowknife Bay.

I'm wondering if anyone on this board has paddled this stretch and has a set of river notes or trip report.

I'll be paddling the trip solo with my dog.

I've been reading Franklin's account of his trip up the yellowknife river. Are there any other good historic accounts of this route?

PostPosted: June 22nd, 2012, 9:57 am 

Hi -

I can send you the trip notes from my 1987 trip - rather dated but they may be of use. That trip began on Winter Lake, so it covers all of the Greenstockings to Yellowknife segment.

The Geological Survey of Canada (GSC) did a trip up the Yellowknife in 1932, there is a good summary in the GSC annual report of that year. Also, one of the members of the GSC group (O.R.Wray) wrote a longer description of the trip - very good reading - in a journal whose name I can't recall at the moment.

If you send me a PM with your e-mail address, I can send you the notes as a PDF. Wray's article I have somewhere in paper form: if you include a mailing address I'll try to locate it and mail you a copy.

I know 123entropy paddled the stretch from Hunter to Yellowknife as part of a longer trip two years ago: if he doesn't see this thread, you might try contacting him directly.

There are probably local paddlers from Yellowknife who are familiar with the river as well.

I'm leaving on a trip myself on July 3rd and things are getting rather busy here: the sooner you can contact me, the better.

-jmc

PostPosted: June 28th, 2012, 8:28 am 

Hi montreal_80,
i did the trip from upper carp lake to yellowknife in 2009 with my brother in law. We needed two weeks and we did not stroll. Beautifull, remoteless wildernes and a lot of arctic char and greyling but also a lot of unmarked portages which are not always easy to find. In my opinion no one has paddelt in that area for the 3 last (in 2009) years. Especiality the evasion of the channel by using the 5 Lake portage requires very much perseverance.
Today i am not at home, but if you like i will look for some photos and notes of the trip tomorrow.

Norbert

grass river, slave river, peace river, churchill river, yellowknife river, wabakimi, paull river, foster river  

PostPosted: June 28th, 2012, 11:59 am 

Thanks Norbert. I'd love to see some photos, etc.

I have just over 2 weeks to get things organized and ready to go.

PostPosted: July 1st, 2012, 9:22 am 

Hi montreal_80!
follow this link:

https://picasaweb.google.com/wenonah12/ ... directlink

there are some photos from the trip, they are a little bit unsorted, but i guess you can get some impressions from the area.

here is an other link to a german website with some notes obout the river, perhaps you can read it with a translation program.

http://www.canufahren.de/yellowknife.htm

I am still waiting for a message from my partner, he has the maps and the notes. I will send you more when i get the maps.

greetings from germany

Norbert

grass river, slave river, peace river, churchill river, yellowknife river, wabakimi, paull river, foster river  

PostPosted: July 3rd, 2012, 11:12 am 

Thanks Norbert,

Looks like a great trip.

PostPosted: July 5th, 2012, 3:57 am 

Hallo montreal_80,

bad news - there are no more written notes about our trip, just Photos, video clips and memories.
I presume that you know where you can download the topographic maps for the Trip.
Do you realy live on a houseboat on Yellowknife Bay? That sounds great! Do you take photos during your canoetrip? OK, I am very curious but I would be pleased to hear from your Yellowknife-River-Trip.

PostPosted: August 1st, 2012, 5:36 pm 

i made it back from the yk river. a really fun little trip.

i'll post pictures and notes as soon as i get my photos developed and scanned.

PostPosted: August 2nd, 2012, 11:55 pm 

hey, i am glad to read that you are back in one piece! I am looking forward to see some of your photos and read some notes.