View topic - Moose River (ME) Bow Trip Reports

It is currently October 22nd, 2019, 9:35 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: March 16th, 2009, 10:16 am 

These two trips were taken the same week in August 2008

http://www.solotripping.com/community/s ... php?t=1927

http://www.solotripping.com/community/s ... php?t=1919

PostPosted: August 28th, 2010, 1:38 pm 

I haven't had a taste of the maine Woods all summer.

I was thinking about doing this trip with friends in October. Do you think the yahoo factor will abate by then?

Very nice photos!

PostPosted: August 28th, 2010, 5:16 pm 

Matt:
You may have to wait a while for a response... Littlered posted this a few days ago...
"Now I am on a big circle. Canoe trip on the French done, now off to Wabakimi for a fly in trip and finishing with Obatanga and Cuyahoga natonal forest. By the time I get home some eight thousand km later it will be mid September but I will have had several trips done."
She went into Wabakimi this morning.

PostPosted: September 18th, 2010, 12:40 pm 

Matt --

Just did this trip this week (Monday through Wednesday). Went solo, didn't see anyone. A Maine Guide at the put in said the water was low so I would have to do more portages then normal. I think I did 3 or 4 short carries over the normal portages. I will try to do a trip report soon.

Great trip - moose, owl, beavers, muskrat and only a few mosquitoes (very few). Of course it rained a lot. Great trip.

-- John

PostPosted: September 18th, 2010, 7:44 pm 

Matt H wrote:
I haven't had a taste of the maine Woods all summer.

I was thinking about doing this trip with friends in October. Do you think the yahoo factor will abate by then?

Very nice photos!

Never had a problem with yahoos on this trip. Sometimes there are big groups such as families or camp trips.

That season is over. The kids are in school.Its feeling like snow at night soon. Peak color ought to be in about ten days. Things are starting to move fast. The only people you might see are on Holeb and at Spencer Rips as hunting season is probably on.(Not sure of the moose season there, just its a possibility)

Early October is nice. Late can be getting toward freeze up. We are thinking of a fast trip there over the CDN Thanksgiving weekend.

PostPosted: September 19th, 2010, 1:55 pm 

One thing I forgot to mention, with the low water, motorboats cannot pass Camel Rips or go up above Attean Falls without portaging. So that's about mile 14 to mile 30. (is that what you mean by the yahoos?) The main guide said a lot of groups went through this summer, including a 50 boy Scout Troop from New York City. I was surprised how clean most of the camp sites were, not much trash for me to pick up.

Also, I was able to pole a lot. :D Could even pole on Attean Lake heading west in some shallow spots. On Holeb Stream and the above Camel Rips on the Moose, there was a lot of shallow (foot or two) water. After Camel Rips the River gets deep, though there are a few spots here and there.

-- John

PostPosted: September 22nd, 2010, 12:27 pm 

Well, I like poling so that's good news. We are definitely heading up Oct. 9-11. Do you suppose I could take that northern channel through the Holeb Lake outlet? I bet all the moose are waiting for me there. Even if it doesn't reconnect, I might have to go that way.

I've been away too long - I'm getting excited about a 3 day trip!

PostPosted: September 22nd, 2010, 7:44 pm 

Quote:
One thing I forgot to mention, with the low water, motorboats cannot pass Camel Rips or go up above Attean Falls without portaging. So that's about mile 14 to mile 30. (is that what you mean by the yahoos?) The main guide said a lot of groups went through this summer, including a 50 boy Scout Troop from New York City. I was surprised how clean most of the camp sites were, not much trash for me to pick up.

Also, I was able to pole a lot. Could even pole on Attean Lake heading west in some shallow spots. On Holeb Stream and the above Camel Rips on the Moose, there was a lot of shallow (foot or two) water. After Camel Rips the River gets deep, though there are a few spots here and there.

-- John

Someone should have told this to the fella a few years back now with the case of beer in his boat and outboard that came downstream and missed his take out at Spencer Rips. He then decided to motor back up Attean Falls and to make his way back. I can still hear his prop and granite.

Also beware the guy trying out for "America Has Talent" at Holeb Falls. You might be wary of 20 foot Old Towns with a fully stocked bar. Man, the guy SANG SOLO all night...enough to wake the dead.

Go - Off Season.

PostPosted: September 22nd, 2010, 7:58 pm 

Or with me.I have done this trip three times and never had the pleasure of meeting anyone with a motor..Or much less anyone..once there was a family at Spencer Rips.

Not counting the people wheeling down the RR tracks to avoid the Attean Holeb portage. THAT was an eye opener. The freight train was running.. :rofl:

PostPosted: September 26th, 2010, 10:00 am 

FYI. I posted a trip report under a new heading.

-- John

PostPosted: September 28th, 2010, 10:21 am 

Hoodoo, I read your report. I'm glad it's raining all week, maybe there will be a bit more water when I get there in two weeks.

I think it was me that started the yahoo discussion. Turns out my BOSS is headed up to occupy Birch Island on Holeb for skeet shooting, hell-raising and the like. Do you recommend I go over and give him an earful? :tsk:

PostPosted: September 28th, 2010, 11:18 am 

:tsk:

surely you know that practice is essential. You might practice bear banger discharge and test the bear spray for efficiency. Also you never know if those flares of yours are duds. :rofl:

At any rate please dont wear a goofy moose hat.

PostPosted: April 25th, 2013, 5:46 am 

Fellow trippers, when do you think this route will open for the season? What kind of water levels / ice could I expect in the first half of May?

[Not sure if I'm posting this in the right place]

Most of the world's political, social, and environmental problems have the same root cause: human overpopulation. By 2050 or so, the world population is expected to reach nine billion.

PostPosted: April 25th, 2013, 7:15 am 

Ice ought to be getting ready to go out now. The portage between Attean and Holeb might be mucky. Lots of it is bog bridging and no way to tell how it fared over the winter.

Rapids on the Moose River just wash out at high water. You might not be able to camp at Holeb Falls..the sites are down low.

Maine has not been pounded by rain so the melt was gentle.

Webcam from Big Woods Pond the next over from Attean

http://cozycovecabins.com/