View topic - Leisurely paddle - Manistee River, Michigan

It is currently August 22nd, 2019, 7:25 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: February 23rd, 2014, 6:29 pm 

This is a bit of an older video of a 3 d paddle on the Manistee River in Michigan. I didn't see any other videos of this paddle and thought it might be worst while to post in case somebody has interest in it.

We set out from Chippewa Landing Outfitters and rented one of their Grumman canoes for the trip. You park at their lodge, they shuttle you upstream of the Manistee based on distance/duration of your choosing and you paddle (more like steer along the current) back down to the lodge.

The Manistee is peppered with cottages and mixed development but also has stretches of State forest that allow dispersed camping. At the time, my wife was recovering from a shoulder injury and she was worried about her ability to paddle. She couldn't paddle worth much, but no worries because the current took care of most of effort.

Mild annoyances of drunken' tubers were encountered on the way. At least you can paddle and get ahead of the flotillas' down these stretches. These were mostly encountered in the upstream part on a Sat morning the first day. The Sun/Mon were more pleasant. We ended up rescuing a dog with a GPS collar that had gone astray and managed to return it its owners at a downstream landing.

Overall, this was a very leisurely trip. My wife dumped out of the canoe once, we hit an unseen submerged angled log head at the stern unexpectedly which caused enough wobble that she just sort of fell out in waist high water. The Grumman was too narrow for her and she couldn't kneel in front, a feature we now look for in our canoes.

Fishing regulations on the Manistee are very confusing with different catch limits/size regs and sanctuaries across different reaches of the river. Owing to this, and needing an out-of-residence license as we are from Ontario, we simply left the rods at home.

So there you have it. The trip was good in that it was very close to us (3 h drive), relaxing, allowed for some dispersed camping. This is a great run for somebody with limited tripping/paddling experience but where they can experience en-route camping. At the end of the trip my wife said: "We need to buy ourselves a better canoe." The next year we bought one, so from that perspective this trip was really worth it!

Apologies for my poor editing and camera work on this one. It was when I just started videos and was making do with a relatively poor quality camera.