View topic - The "Ask us how" thread

It is currently June 19th, 2019, 2:53 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 132 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 9  Next
PostPosted: November 2nd, 2009, 7:23 pm 
CCR Assistant Administrator

Each forum has an archive of old threads, except for Off Topic, and "time sensitive" ones like Events.

For our demo purposes, I'll choose the Equipment forum.

If you click on Equipment in the Forum Index, you will go straight to that individual forum.

The top of page will list the number of pages in each forum, like this:

Attachment:
top of page _arrow.jpg
top of page _arrow.jpg [ 76.21 KiB | Viewed 3829 times ]

Scroll down to the bottom of that page, and the list of page numbers is there, too:

Attachment:
bottom of page_arrow.jpg
bottom of page_arrow.jpg [ 43.83 KiB | Viewed 3830 times ]

PostPosted: November 4th, 2009, 12:54 pm 

I guess I should have posted my question here. I can't seem to access the bloggspots posted in the forums (like the missinaibi trip report). I have clicked on the URL, and also tried pasting it in. I was really looking forward to this report, and I am stymied!

But hey, the good news! (and after watching a movie called "how I married my highschool sweetheart" yesterday, it really it home) look at me.. I am using terms like "bloggspot" and URL! even a year ago, bloggspot would have seems like a term from outerspace!

Present: Slip, Slap and Slop, hide from the sun! Past: Get some colour in those cheeks! Paddle Naked!

PostPosted: November 4th, 2009, 1:13 pm 

cheryl wrote:
I guess I should have posted my question here. I can't seem to access the bloggspots posted in the forums (like the missinaibi trip report). I have clicked on the URL, and also tried pasting it in. I was really looking forward to this report, and I am stymied!

Well, this is an issue beyond the CCR forums.

I was originally going to say that maybe it's a problem of where you're trying to access such sites, assuming you were at your place of employment. But if you're using your computer at home, I'm stumped.

Is it all blogspot.com sites you are having trouble with? How about this one:

http://gumtreedesigners.blogspot.com/

Have you checked on your security settings on your computer?

Are you attempting to access these sites with different browsers?

I know how frustrating it can be...there's a website I was able to access no problem for years, but in the last few months, no matter what I do or use, I can't get into it.

Hopefully someone who has a clue will chime in, and help us both. :D

PostPosted: November 4th, 2009, 1:22 pm 

can't access that one either. Okay, sounds like it is our computer. May have to wait a few weeks to ask the hubby about that one - I can't figure our computer out - he has tight security features on it. I'll wait until he has a few extra minutes :D

Thanks Barbara

Present: Slip, Slap and Slop, hide from the sun! Past: Get some colour in those cheeks! Paddle Naked!

PostPosted: November 8th, 2009, 1:04 pm 
CCR Moderator & Assistant Administrator

Have you ever wanted to post a list of items in a crisp, professional manner but due to a lack of know-how have had to settle for a crummy amateurish job?

Those days are gone forever more.

Just read this helpful tutorial and you'll be writing you're grocery list here on MYCCR.

Ordered list:
The word ordered means there will be numbers or letters in front of each list item. This example shows a numbered list.
Step 1: click on List=
Attachment:
list1.jpg
list1.jpg [ 31.62 KiB | Viewed 3746 times ]

Step 2: Type the number 1 after the equals sign, like this [list=1][/list] move your cursor in between the brackets and hit enter twice. For a lettered list type a instead of 1.
It should now look this this: (I had to replace one squre bracket with a round one or it wouldn't display)
[list=1)

[/list]

Step 3: Put your cursor at the beginning of the empty line and Click on [*]
Now you should have this:
[list=1)
[*]
[/list]

Step 4: type the list item.
[list=1)
[*]List item number one.
[/list]

Step 5: Hit enter.

Repeat steps 3, 4 and 5 for each list item.

[list=1)
[*]List item number one.
[*]List item number two
[/list]

...and so on until done. Move cursor past the final bracket and continue your post.

Some examples.

Code:
A bulleted list
[list]
[*]item the first
[*]item the second
[*]item the third[/list]

Numbered list:
[list=1]
[*]testing
[*]one
[*]two
[*]three[/list]

Lettered list:
[list=a]
[*]now
[*]I
[*]know
[*]the abc's of creating lists[/list]

A bulleted list:
  • item the first
  • item the second
  • item the third

Numbered list:
  1. testing
  2. one
  3. two
  4. three

Lettered list:
  1. now
  2. I
  3. know
  4. the abc's of creating lists

PostPosted: November 15th, 2009, 12:49 pm 

This is a great place to try things out. Post as a reply to it, and if you're having problems, it will be hopefully easy to see what's causing you a problem.

Any sort of posting function can be tried out here....quoting, uploading attachments, using the colours available, etc, etc.

Barbara

PostPosted: November 16th, 2009, 2:25 pm 

Quote:
You have 1 private message currently on hold because of full folder.
Release all on-hold messages… they will be re-sorted into the appropriate folder if enough space is made available.

I have deleted old messages to create space...but the message is still "on hold". Suggestions???? :-?

"The way of a canoe is the way of the wilderness, and of a freedom almost forgotten." Sigurd Olson, 1956

PostPosted: November 16th, 2009, 2:32 pm 

This thread should help answer questions about the private messaging system.

Barbara

PostPosted: November 16th, 2009, 3:12 pm 

Thanks! Got it !

"The way of a canoe is the way of the wilderness, and of a freedom almost forgotten." Sigurd Olson, 1956

PostPosted: November 18th, 2009, 6:12 am 

Thanks Barbara,

Maybe I'll actually get a photo or something attached to my profile one of these days!

PostPosted: May 26th, 2010, 8:27 pm 

O crap.

I forgot whatever I knew about screenshots.

I have all of Topo Canada loaded and ready to share. I was trying to inject a screenshot of the Pickerel and Fox Rivers for the French River thread.

And now am out of wine.

PostPosted: March 26th, 2011, 1:10 pm 

Using the "quote" function

There are a number of ways to use the "quote" function in the forums and in private messages.

We'll use this thread for demonstration purposes:

Need help with Coleman single-burner stove

Attachment:
quote tutorial.jpg
quote tutorial.jpg [ 64.38 KiB | Viewed 3422 times ]

To do a straight-forward quote of the entire post, click on the "quote" box at the bottom right hand corner.

The entire quote, unaltered, will appear in an opened reply box. You can then add your message after it.

Peter K. wrote:
I have a Coleman 400B single-burner stove which has served me well for years. However, the little pile of gas diffuser plates on top of the burner have come loose and just rattle around at will.

I took the burner apart expecting to see a clamp or screw loose underneath the burner, but found nothing.

What was holding everything together and how do it fix it? I can't find any pictures or diagrams showing the complete assembly.

But if you want to reply to each point individually, you can break the quote down into sections.

To do that, you will need to use the coding to reinsert the "quote" function for each section of the quoted post. You can then post a reply to each individual portion.

(Silly replies posted in italics for demo purposes only.)

Peter K. wrote:
I have a Coleman 400B single-burner stove which has served me well for years. However, the little pile of gas diffuser plates on top of the burner have come loose and just rattle around at will.

Same thing happened to me.
Quote:
I took the burner apart expecting to see a clamp or screw loose underneath the burner, but found nothing.

Hey, me too.
Quote:
What was holding everything together and how do it fix it? I can't find any pictures or diagrams showing the complete assembly.

Neither can I.

Or you can edit the quoted material if you prefer:

Peter K. wrote:

Points & Problems using the Quote function

The basic coding for quotes is simply:
Code:
[quote]text[/quote]

To make sure that you haven't "broken" the coding, use the Preview button. This will show you how the post will appear. If there's an error in the coding, you will see it and be able to correct it.

When you use the quote function, the system automatically attaches the author's name to the quote. It's recommended that you leave it that way, for clarity sake.

When you break a quote down into sections, the author's name will only appear with the first part.

PostPosted: April 11th, 2011, 8:24 pm 

Barbara wrote:
But if you want to reply to each point individually, you can break the quote down into sections.

To do that, you will need to use the coding to reinsert the "quote" function for each section of the quoted post. You can then post a reply to each individual portion.

Sorry, still don't get it. :(

Also, how to narrow down a search (use the 'and' function) so that 2 words must appear e.g Pickerel River?
"pickerel" and "river" would both be mentioned oodles of times.

Old canoeists never die---they just smell that way.

PostPosted: April 11th, 2011, 9:24 pm 

wotrock wrote:
Barbara wrote:

Sorry, still don't get it. :(

The best way to get the hang of it is to give it a try.

Find any post that contains more than one sentence, or a couple of paragraphs, and hit the quote button. You can then highlight/copy/paste it here in as a reply. Then you can play around with breaking the whole thing down into sections, using the coding of [ quote ] at the beginning of a section, and [/ quote ] at the end of it. (The spaces between the brackets and the text are there to stop the quote function from working. If you are typing the coding, there shouldn't be any spaces.)

Choose a post that doesn't have any extras, like photos or links, to practice. My post up above might be a good candidate ("This is a great place to try things out. Post as a reply to it, .....)

A major step that needs to be remembered is to do a "Preview" of your post. This way, you can see how it's going to look before you post it.

Quote:
Also, how to narrow down a search (use the 'and' function) so that 2 words must appear e.g Pickerel River?
"pickerel" and "river" would both be mentioned oodles of times.

Yes, that would be a killer for searching. "Pickerel"...the river, the fish? And the word "river"... :doh:

I've tried various things, and forget which works best. :oops:

One way is to use the + sign: +pickerel+river
or lop off "river" altogether: pickerel
another is to use quote marks: "pickerel river"

Another thing that may help is to limit the search to a particular forum. This could involve different searches, for instance one search "Ontario Discussion and Resources", then another search confined to "Ontario Trip Reports".

PostPosted: April 11th, 2011, 10:09 pm 

I avoid almost all mention of fish in the phrase Pickerel River by typing in "Pickerel River"

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 132 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 9  Next