View topic - Fireside Tales: An Algonquin Story Contest

It is currently August 12th, 2020, 8:30 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: July 23rd, 2012, 3:45 pm 

I don't know about you, but one of my favorite things about the camping experience is the conversations I have by the campfire with that one person always coughing from the smoke that seemingly follows them. Stuff of nostalgia.

So... I thought 'why not have a story contest?' That way we can have a bit of the experience during all the times we can't be in Algonquin.

Every Monday for the next 4 weeks you'll get to choose your favourites. It doesn't have to be a story about a super long or crazy trip, but even a tale of an afternoon in Algonquin would be wonderful. This way we'll end up with a collection of stories that anyone can read over next time they're longing for Algonquin :).

PRIZES
No contest would be complete about prizes, so I've decided to reward each weeks winner with a custom one-of-a-kind map of their favourite Algonquin lake - cut in wood! They'll take a couple of months to produce (they're each hand-made,) so I wanted to give you something else as well... a lifetime subscription to my map. Every time I create a new Algonquin map I'll drop you a copy in the mail. Pretty awesome eh?

DETAILS
Just to make it clear, by entering this contest all I get is the right to share the story. I won't own it. I'm just looking to share it with the Algonquin community at large.

There'll be a limit of one story per person per week, so choose your favourite. You can feel free to enter every week though. And even if you don't win, I'll be entering everyone who enters into a raffle at the end of the 4 weeks and choosing another name for another custom 'your favourite Algonquin lake cut-in-wood' map and lifetime subscription to the map (you get an entry for every story you submit, so if you enter all 4 weeks, you get 4 entires into the raffle).

Get writing, and be sure to let your friends know so they can share in the fun too :)

A Sample Custom Cut-in-Wood Map

LINK
http://www.algonquinmap.com/pages/story-contest

P.S. Mods: Barbara suggested that this was the right forum to post in :)

PostPosted: July 30th, 2012, 12:07 pm 

FYI the first week's contest will close at approximately 5pm today :)

PostPosted: July 30th, 2012, 9:12 pm 

I'm only 5 hours late, but I've gotten last weeks stories up for reading and voting :D.

Sorry about the delay, I discovered a bug last minute and it took forever to fix it. That shouldn't happen next week.

So head on over to read the first batch of stories and to vote for a winner. There's no limit to the number of stories that you can vote for, but you can only vote for each story a maximum of once.

Voting will continue for a week. During that same time I'll be accepting entries for the second one-of-a-kind custom wood cut map + a lifetime subscription to my map.

So get reading and writing :). And remember, if you entered in the first week you're more than welcome to enter a different story for week 2.

Note: I won't publish the names of the authors just yet so that there's no bias during the voting process.

PostPosted: August 1st, 2012, 9:14 pm 

looks like fun!

PostPosted: August 2nd, 2012, 8:04 am 

Great idea. One question, though: does the story have to be true?

Kinguq

PostPosted: August 5th, 2012, 12:21 pm 

Ideally :)

PostPosted: August 14th, 2012, 3:02 pm 

Congrats to David Robinson for winning week 2 of the story contest with his story 'First Time's the Charm!'

He'll get a custom cut-in-wood map of his favourite Algonquin lake as well as a lifetime subscription to my map.

There's only one more week for you to enter - so get writing!

Week 1's Stories: http://www.algonquinmap.com/pages/week-1
Week 2's Stories: http://www.algonquinmap.com/pages/week-2s-stories
Week 3's Stories: http://www.algonquinmap.com/pages/read-stories

To Enter: http://www.algonquinmap.com/pages/story-contest

---

First Time's the Charm!

I'm a geography teacher who leads a few trips each year to the interior of Algonquin, and after a couple dozen trips under my belt I felt that I should take my wife on an adventure to show her what I do. We decided to take a short trip into Lauder Lake, just north of Kioskokwi, to celebrate our kids being old enough to be babysat for more than one night.

The air was warm with a nice breeze, and the waves were big enough to make it exciting for a relatively new canoeist. We made it without incident to the kilometer-long portage, and I'd rented an ultralight canoe to make me look stronger than I really was. A double portage and a short canoe later, we found our campsite up on a hill overlooking the lake in all directions. We unpacked and set up the tent, explored the lake, went for a swim, and settled in for the evening.

Soon a nice cozy fire was crackling and the evening's supper was steaming away. I proudly reached into the kitchen bag to grab the mealtime essentials and discovered that I'd left the bowls behind. No problem, I figured, we'll use our mugs. Nope. Left those behind too. Plates? Un uh. Knives, forks, spoons or anything? Nada. We had a frying pan and a pot. The rest was sitting on the porch, just waiting to be loaded at home.

My wife looks back now and can laugh about the next four meals, and our creative use of wrappers, crackers and twigs. I look back, and I'm grateful that she has always had an understanding heart and a great sense of humour!

PostPosted: August 25th, 2012, 4:05 pm 

Take a look at and vote for the final entries here: http://www.algonquinmap.com/pages/read-stories

See all of the past stories here: http://www.algonquinmap.com/pages/week-1

Here's week 3's winner by Laurena Kirkwood-Lazazzera:

--

The 7th day of our 8-day trip from Rain Lake to Canoe Lake started out as most of the previous days had: sunny but not too hot, with clear skies. We had been incredibly lucky with our weather and our group (I had spent the past 7 days in close quarters with two close friends and my sister, and somehow our personalities had not clashed).

Our perfect day did however turn windy shortly after we hit the water, and we paddled from Sunbeam to Joe buffeted by strong headwinds the entire time. The trip took almost twice as long as predicted, and once we reached Joe I was hoping to find the first site available and rest my weary body.

Having paddled throughout the week starting from the more out of the way Rain Lake access point, we hadn’t seen too many other people despite the fact that it was July. However, once we portaged into Joe Lake we were in for a rude awakening! As usual on a trip this long, we stopped putting importance on what day of the week it was. Once we got to Joe Lake we realized abruptly that it was a Saturday in July! It was only 2 pm but we paddled from campsite to campsite to find that they were all occupied. Especially irking was that many tents and canoes were hidden from view, so we had to paddle up to them just to find out that we had to turn around again. The wind was merciless!

The central area of Joe was completely full, so we paddled out of our way to the East Arm. By this point I was ready to collapse. So when we finally saw what appeared to be a free site halfway up the arm, I was overjoyed. We paddled closer and closer… Yes, it really was free! I would have jumped for joy if I hadn’t been in a canoe. We pulled up and collapsed on the ground. After a few minutes I decided to look around. My two friends were the first to voice their complaints. The site was very small. We only had one small tent but it would be a challenge just to find somewhere flat to set it up. It was also wide open, which we noticed right away since the wind was still fierce! I was reluctant to move on. My arms and shoulders were jell-o. I was not paddling into the wind again, and for all we knew, this could be the only free site. My friends and sister wanted further deliberation, so I said I would check the pit toilet. Our previous sites had all been excellent (we had been able to be choosy after all when we were further into the interior) and one of our criteria for choosing a site was… Is the thunder box empty, half-full (or half-empty if you are an optimist!!!) or full? We’d seen a few full to the brim and using these was not a pleasant experience.

To settle the matter, I followed a trail away from the site in search of the toilet. I walked… and walked… Eventually I had to turn around – it couldn’t be that far! I tried again, on a different path leading from the site. I continued up a slight incline, and began to notice that the trail was marked with red ties on the trees… It seemed to be a well-marked hiking trail. And there, sitting on the trail, was our pit toilet. If you were to sit on it, your feet would literally be on this hiking trail. And to the right of the pit toilet were signs, “long route” (leading down the path), and another sign pointing straight towards our site, that read “short cut”. So basically this trail cut not only through our toilet (awkward enough if someone were to come along) but we could potentially have hikers taking a shortcut RIGHT THROUGH our miniscule site… That was enough for me.

Onwards we would paddle.