View topic - Canoecopia 2011 (Madison Wisconsin)

It is currently November 19th, 2019, 5:20 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: February 11th, 2011, 9:45 am 
CCR Assistant Administrator

http://www.canoecopia.com/canoecopia/page.asp?pgid=1001

Canoecopia 2011
March 11-13, 2011
Alliant Energy Center
1919 Alliant Energy Way
Madison, Wisconsin

The speakers biographies and presentation descriptions are done and up! We've added some nifty new features to this section of the website so check it out. And yes, schedules are here too - are few items still to come but as you can see, there is a lot going on. Tons of new folks this year!

The Aluminum Chef Competition

Saturday, 4:30pm, Quetico Room

The Aluminum Chef is once again a must-see at Canoecopia 2011. Our three chefs return, testing their culinary skills against each other in true outdoor style. No Viking range or copper pots, just MSR stoves and cook kits, and a pantry of ingredients you might have on your next camping trip.

Outdoorsmen Marty Koch (from the Ozarks) and Kevin Callan (Oh, Canada) will again compete against our local Chef Joey Dunscombe of Madison’s Weary Traveler Freehouse. Judges from the audience will determine this year’s winner!

PostPosted: February 11th, 2011, 8:21 pm 

Thanks Barbara for the early posting of this event.

The Wabakimi Project has refreshed their displays with new posters and will have Volume Three maps available along with one and two.

This year we have a special treat:

Jerry Vandiver - An award-winning songwriter and recording artist, Jerry participated in his first reconnaissance expedition with The Wabakimi Project last summer. Moved by the pristine wilderness of the Wabakimi area that he experienced during this canoe trip, Jerry wrote the lyrics, composed the melody and arranged the orchestration of a song that reflects his experience. Upon his return home to Nashville, TN, Jerry organized a session with fellow studio artists to record his composition which he will perform at The Wabakimi Project presentation during Canoecopia 2011.

In his own words, Jerry describes the genesis of his composition as follows:

While participating in The Wabakimi Project in August, 2010, I was so taken with the area that a song, "Wabakimi", began to form in my mind. I was able to archive the lyrics in my journal but having no recorder handy, I made sure that I remembered the song by singing it to myself (much to the chagrin of my stern man) as we paddled. As a result, the rhythm and tempo of the song came in time to align itself with my paddling stroke. Upon returning to Nashville, I recorded "Wabakimi" and invited Grammy award-winning Native American recording artist Bill Miller to play flute and add his special touch. It was a very special moment for me and I am proud that this song will become a prominent part of The Wabakimi Project's heritage.

"Preservation of our waterways comes from those with little voices, big paddles, strong backs, weak minds and thick hides with which to ignore the bug bites." Organizer of "The Wabakimi Project"

PostPosted: March 6th, 2011, 8:38 pm 

Bvmp! :o Bump! For those who get it.

This weekend is Canoecopia, come out to the largest paddling event put on by Rutabaga. Madison, Wi.

Barry

"Preservation of our waterways comes from those with little voices, big paddles, strong backs, weak minds and thick hides with which to ignore the bug bites." Organizer of "The Wabakimi Project"

PostPosted: March 7th, 2011, 8:28 am 

Barry, Sounds like a quiet year this year for Canoecopia. Laura and I have been tossing about the idea of getting out of town for the weekend, though her schedule is pretty tight and she could bail at a moments notice. Any thoughts on if ya'll plan to wash down the dust of travel somewhere on Friday evening as in years past? If our plans come to fruition, I'll post back.

PK

PostPosted: March 7th, 2011, 9:00 am 

Perhaps someone can find out why Bell Canoe is not on the vendors list.

PostPosted: March 7th, 2011, 10:40 am 

Kim, I noticed that as well. Esquif is missing too, if I remember correctly from reading the Gazette a week or so back. If I go I'll make sure to ask around... why?

PK

PostPosted: March 7th, 2011, 12:21 pm 

Deb and I will be doing some presentations at the show. Would love to meet up with folks from myccr if you're at the show. Make a point of saying hi would ya!!!

PostPosted: March 7th, 2011, 12:45 pm 

Rolf: Organizers and past participants operate an attractive display in the lobby. We encourage you and Deb and all others who plan to attend to drop by for a visit.

PostPosted: March 10th, 2011, 9:00 pm 

Were here and my Canooks friends are here for the shew.

Beer anyone?

PostPosted: March 10th, 2011, 9:07 pm 

Boneli wrote:
Were here and my Canooks friends are here for the shew.

Beer anyone?

No thanks! Had to choose..buying or canoeing.
Think I will go canoeing.
Be nice to your wallet.

PostPosted: March 10th, 2011, 9:07 pm 

pknoerr wrote:
Barry, Sounds like a quiet year this year for Canoecopia. Laura and I have been tossing about the idea of getting out of town for the weekend, though her schedule is pretty tight and she could bail at a moments notice. Any thoughts on if ya'll plan to wash down the dust of travel somewhere on Friday evening as in years past? If our plans come to fruition, I'll post back.

PK

Come and see us Paul, we have beer and a good show.

PostPosted: March 14th, 2011, 4:39 pm 

Another successful show is over. Thanks to the organizers (Barry & Bill) and the many past participants who helped man our display in the lobby. We couldn't have done it without you!

Our presentation on Sunday morning was well attended--standing room only! Bookings we received for this summer's trips over the 3-day show exceeded everyone's expectations. There are still a few vacancies left particularly in June as well as one or two in September.

See y'all in Minneapolis at the Midwest Mountaineering Spring Adventure Expo next month (April 15-17).

PostPosted: March 15th, 2011, 9:16 am 

Well my first ever Canoecopia has come and gone and all I have to say is......AMAZING! It's a bit of a shock leaving the warm temps and all those boats in Madison for the ice road of Red Lake but spring will come soon enough.

I found the show packed, not sure about the official numbers but it seemed aisles were full and people were enjoying themselves.

It was great to meet all those solotripping.com members in attendance and to raise a few beers with some of you.....Bob B, Satchmoa, Rippy, Jazzman, Hans Solo, Martin, Nctry, , MRGuide, Kevin Callan, Dan Cooke, AWBrown and others (my brain is scrambled at the moment) Great conversations with good people seems to be what this show is all about. Boneli, great meeting you as well.

My only regret is not having any time to actually walk around the show for a few hours and see some of the cool gear and new products for this year....and not taking in any speakers, something that I'll have to ensure I do for next year.

For me, the booth was full for most of the show. It was great to have the opportunity to meet so many paddlers and to help spread the word about WCPP. I was overwhelmed at the interest in the park and bookings were steady throughout the show. All in all, an amazing experience.

Here's some pictures of the show.

Doors are about to open......

Nova Craft Canoe

Meister from the Original Bug Shirt Company

My booth

Ontario Parks hard at work

Doug Gilmore (WCPP Superintendent) and I