View topic - Christmas Gift - For Those Hard to Buy Folks Who Have It All

It is currently September 27th, 2020, 8:52 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: December 12th, 2011, 6:36 pm 

Having a hard time finding a gift for that canoe enthusiast in your life this Christmas? Perhaps the folks at Lunatic Adventures can help you out.

http://www.lunaticadventures.ca/canoein ... canoe-trip

or for the more hardy ones

http://www.lunaticadventures.ca/canoein ... -rain-lake

PostPosted: December 12th, 2011, 11:59 pm 

If I am reading this right, departure for this trip is Dec 28th? In reading the itinerary for the day it states that they will pull off to shore for lunch in the shade? Um, worried about over heating?

Things turn out best for the people who make the best of the way things turn out. John Wooden.

PostPosted: December 13th, 2011, 12:20 am 

Skeeter wrote:
If I am reading this right, departure for this trip is Dec 28th? In reading the itinerary for the day it states that they will pull off to shore for lunch in the shade? Um, worried about over heating?

Yup. Read on!
Quote:
01:00: After a reminder from your guide(s) about river safety, we'll splish and splash through a couple of short stretches of easy moving water and even, time permitting, stop for a refreshing swim in the current.

:o :o :rofl:

The Rain Lake trip runs right through the winter too!

PostPosted: December 13th, 2011, 8:24 am 

Worried about open water. May I suggest a coastal trip at Bruce Peninsula National Park any date Mid January to early April.
Maybe these folks up up for the Spanish. Moe and I know the trail from the tracks to the River. They could use Deep Freeze as a base. Mid February perfect time.
Enough of this silliness from me, someone could DIE taking me seriously.
Stay safe
OAF

PostPosted: December 13th, 2011, 9:42 am 
CCR Assistant Administrator

I think perhaps that the dates listed were meant to be "register by" dates and not the actual trip dates. :roll:

$250 for one night on Sawyer Lake!

The itinerary is extremely slow-paced. Even with piddling around, checking out a couple of campsites, it takes not much more than an hour to get from the landing to the Sawyer portage. "Floating lunch"? Good grief.

PostPosted: December 14th, 2011, 2:24 pm 

Barbara wrote:
The itinerary is extremely slow-paced. Even with piddling around, checking out a couple of campsites, it takes not much more than an hour to get from the landing to the Sawyer portage. "Floating lunch"? Good grief.

Actually, Barbara, my experience would suggest that they may not have allowed enough time. Do you know how long it would take to chop a big enough hole in the ice to paddle from the landing to Sawyer portage in January? :rofl:

PostPosted: December 14th, 2011, 3:44 pm 

I am a little leery in that they are called Lunatic Adventures. :o

BTW, my legs have turned a nice shade of blue by being in the waters of Georgian Bay along the Bruce in the summer. Kind of like ice fishing conditioning.

Things turn out best for the people who make the best of the way things turn out. John Wooden.

PostPosted: December 19th, 2011, 10:39 am 

Hello Everyone,

I was just forwarded this forum and was deeply disturbed by what I read.

For over 10 years we’ve been planning and facilitating remote wilderness trips for clients of all ages . During that time, never could I imagine putting a client through such a ill planned itinerary. We pride ourselves on running safe, informative, and educational trips. With over 1800 youth through our doors this past summer, I couldn’t imagine risking everything we’ve worked so hard for to take our clients on a “winter canoe trip”. Our website auto-generates certain popular trips to our site. We always set parameters as to when to end these trips. It would seem that this auto-generator has been accidentally left on to generate dates regularly. We close our doors here at LUNA, and our wilderness trips on October 30th and re-open for snowshoe trips starting mid January. I must thank Brian for brining this embarrassing website glitch to my attention.

Hope you all have a wonderful holiday season and you do find a gift for that hard to buy for individual and not put their life in danger.

Regards,

David Masters

CEO
Lunatic Adventures Inc.
Education Based - Guided - Wilderness Adventures
&
Executive Director
The LUNA Project
Learning - Unique - Natural - Alternatives

(866) 415-LUNA
www.LunaticAdventures.com
www.LUNAProject.ca

PostPosted: December 19th, 2011, 11:01 am 

Nice to hear from you David. But can you "un-auto generate" the dates until Spring? It simply diminishes your credibility as I am sure you are now aware.

And thank you for allowing us our bit of "lunacy". No harm intended.
And as an aside, on some other boards, harm is indeed intended and those doing the harming could be held responsible if business can be shown to suffer.

The trips are a bit slow paced for most here but anyone running a safe operation introducing anyone into the backcountry (and getting them OFF the computer) is doing a good thing.

PostPosted: December 19th, 2011, 11:22 am 

Lunatic wrote:

I was just forwarded this forum and was deeply disturbed by what I read.

David...... relax. Surely you don't take any of the above posts seriously. :lol: humour :lol:

Wishing you a Happy Holiday Season also.

moe f

PostPosted: December 19th, 2011, 11:32 am 

Hello Littleredcanoe,

I am working on dealing with the "auto-generator" as we speak. Our site is currently undergoing a complete revision as well.

I understand our trips are a bit "slow" for most, but with a great number of clients coming from Europe, they truly appreciate just "being" in nature. Taking time to decompress and intimately connect with nature. Most don't want to rush from site to site, however our 21 day kids camps are just that...continually on the move and taking the odd duff day to relax and work on camp craft.

Our name does mislead most, hence the creation of LUNA four years ago. When I was in the fast paced corporate world, most thought I was crazy giving up the security to move my life out of Toronto and move into a yurt, ultimately to create an outdoor education centre. The name "Lunatic" appeals to people wanting to break outside the norm and colour outside of the lines. It was also a great way for people to remember the name and never forget it.

It's be a fabulous journey, and one which keeps getting better.

Thanks again and hopefully we can get this website issue dealt with today.

PostPosted: December 23rd, 2011, 8:29 am 

Skeeter wrote:
I am a little leery in that they are called Lunatic Adventures. :o

Me too. Because if you are just a lunatic, then how adventurous can you really be.
:o

I on the other hand am a raven lunatic so I know to canoe on Rain Lake in January, I must ask Santa for a rein check (that is not a monetary stipend most retailers offer when services or goods are out of stock, rather, its a measure of elf currency, which is negotiated in advance, at the precise moment of the winter solstice, involving complex calculation of wind speed, relative barometric pressure, and Newtons third law of force.

In elf lingo, that would be three bales of hay (to prepare for take-off), two turtle doves (universal signal of distress in the North Pole) and Dasher and his new BFF to pull the canoe...
:rofl:

PostPosted: December 23rd, 2011, 10:51 am 

I am having a bit of a problem with this thread. Isn't the raven standing by when one reindeer slides off the roof and does itself in?

Ravens eat dead things. :rofl:

From Wikipedia
Quote:
Common Ravens are extremely versatile and opportunistic in finding sources of nutrition, feeding on carrion, insects, cereal grains, berries, fruit, small animals, and food waste.

PostPosted: December 23rd, 2011, 11:58 am 

littleredcanoe wrote:
I am having a bit of a problem with this thread. Isn't the raven standing by when one reindeer slides off the roof and does itself in?

Ravens eat dead things. :rofl:

From Wikipedia
Quote:
Common Ravens are extremely versatile and opportunistic in finding sources of nutrition, feeding on carrion, insects, cereal grains, berries, fruit, small animals, and food waste.

Well, what else are you supposed to do with the two turtle doves after you shoot them out of a cannon.

And reindeer should know better than to land on a yurt.

(Who can resist taking a little bite out of that shiny red nose)

PostPosted: December 23rd, 2011, 12:37 pm 

You have $125 to waste on two turtle doves you are going to shoot out of a cannon? The adventure business must be really great.
Now if you have half an hour or so, here is the cost of 12 days of Christmas

http://content.pncmc.com/live/pnc/micro ... index.html