View topic - 2 new outdoors superstores in Ontario

It is currently September 27th, 2020, 9:53 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: November 13th, 2011, 11:55 am 

Looks like Bass Pro and MEC have some more competition.

New Sail stores are opening at the end of the month in Oshawa and Vaughn.

http://www.sail.ca/

I'm not familiar with this store so folks in Ottawa and Quebec could you let us know what to expect?

PostPosted: November 13th, 2011, 2:22 pm 

Quote:
could you let us know what to expect?

Edward Abbey's "Industrial Tourism".....unbridled consumerism.
sorry...must be having a bad day... :(

"The way of a canoe is the way of the wilderness, and of a freedom almost forgotten." Sigurd Olson, 1956

PostPosted: November 13th, 2011, 3:40 pm 
CCR Assistant Administrator

Watersong wrote:
Quote:
could you let us know what to expect?

Edward Abbey's "Industrial Tourism".....unbridled consumerism.
sorry...must be having a bad day... :(

I've forgotten...how many books do you own?

Is there anyone here on this forum that doesn't need to purchase some amount of consumer goods in order to pursue this "green" hobby?

PostPosted: November 13th, 2011, 3:56 pm 

Quote:
I've forgotten...how many books do you own?

Touche! :thumbup:

"The way of a canoe is the way of the wilderness, and of a freedom almost forgotten." Sigurd Olson, 1956

PostPosted: November 13th, 2011, 5:31 pm 

My sister lives in Ottawa, is an (overpaid) civil servant, she feels a personally obligation to use her ill gotten gains to support the economy.............

MEC - Out
Trailhead - Out
Sail - There is real shopping to be done here

Haven't had the "pleasure" of shopping at Sail myself but I hear that if redistribution of ones personal wealth is the issue then Sail has the solution.

Anything has to be better than Bass Pro, if your outdoor activities don't include killing things they really have nothing to offer.

PostPosted: November 13th, 2011, 8:31 pm 

recped wrote:
Anything has to be better than Bass Pro, if your outdoor activities don't include killing things they really have nothing to offer.

I bought some plastic bags for my vacuum sealer at Pro Bass once; oh, and a camp cot as well. Those are to only things of value I have seen there.

PostPosted: November 14th, 2011, 8:07 am 

I love Bass Pro Shops! Their RedHead house brand products have been very good to me. I use their clogs and have several pairs of their lifetime replacement hunting socks. By far the most comfortable socks I've ever owned. If you are looking for a great outdoor sock, then I would highly recommend these. I wear them from about mid September through mid May as my daily sock (I have 7 pairs). Oh yes, they do honour the lifetime replacement part as I have replaced 3 pairs in the past.

PostPosted: November 14th, 2011, 8:19 am 
CCR Assistant Administrator

DaveH wrote:
recped wrote:

I bought some plastic bags for my vacuum sealer at Pro Bass once; oh, and a camp cot as well. Those are to only things of value I have seen there.

The fisherpersons enjoy the store immensely. 8)

I've heard of Sail, but due to the name, assumed it was more of a...you know..."sailing" person's store.

Checked out their website a bit. At this point in time, they only have a "fall/winter" catalogue online? Tad annoying. Makes one wonder if there will be different items in the spring/summer catalogue.

They seem to sell only higher-priced tents. There's some gps's and ski poles.

I dunno. Seems like a visit to the actual brick & mortar store might be the only way to actually make a worthwhile judgment.

PostPosted: November 14th, 2011, 12:16 pm 

Can't compare to a BassPro as I've never been in a BassPro except a really small one in the States.

There's a SAIL about 1/2 hours drive (other end of Ottawa) that I've been two a couple of times.

The fellow that started SAIL was one of the two original owners of LeBaron until they split. It's about 3 times the size of the Ottawa LeBaron but handles the same stuff plus a whole lot more. I'd call it a really big and good mix of MEC and LeBaron inventory.

On the non-sale items that I compared, MEC was less expensive than SAIL but SAIL was usually less than LeBaron. SAIL sale items are normally priced right and I'm thinking a loss leader to get people into the store. I've picked up a few good things at very acceptable prices there. One of the hardest things to do is to compare like but different brand items. On exact items, I'd go to MEC if they have it, then SAIL.

(Which reminds me that I have to go to SAIL next week.)

fwiw, Ted

PostPosted: November 14th, 2011, 12:26 pm 

Lebaron's, now there is a name that got a lot of my business many moons ago. MEC now gets the bulk of my outdoor purchases and then the odd time if in the area I will pop into Bass Pro. I have a few pairs of the Redhead socks but I have to keep retrieving them from my daughter. She likes to use them as slippers. Sail might be an option to do some price comparison for but pretty comfortable with MEC at this point. Thanks for the heads up on the new stores.

Things turn out best for the people who make the best of the way things turn out. John Wooden.

PostPosted: November 14th, 2011, 1:23 pm 

recped wrote:

As far as outfitting for canoeing or other backcountry exploration, they are not so great. What they do have is a great selection of clothing. Maybe not the high tech super expensive stuff, but lots of good quality, long lasting stuff.

"Paddle faster, I hear banjos!"

PostPosted: November 14th, 2011, 2:04 pm 

SAIL seems to have a fishing background. Sometimes its instructive to find out the "heritage" of a store. It may not be the same as other outdoor stores in the neighborhood.

Can't say I am a huge fan of BassPro and its ilk locally (Cabela's) where the gear is focused on catch it or kill it, then smoke it or cook it all while sitting down mostly or using a motor. But the clothing often is durable and useful.

There was a huge flap here when Cabelas came to town. LLBean management had a hissy...but there is little real overlap between what the two stores offer. (Beans eschews anything motorized or powered by other than human).

Its nice to have another place to peruse. We got stuck in Dallas once and the saving grace was being able to get out for a while (we had no car) to the Bass Pro Shop inexplicably stuck next to the Marriott. No we did not have any use for the forty or fifty jonboats in front of the store, but I think we did find some sort of small gadget to buy.

I got a couple of neat outdoor items at a hardware store yesterday. One a double walled stainless coffee cup that was marketed under Bathroom Accessories and a couple of reusable tie thingy majiggies and also an elbow for my outdoor stove and truck tarp for my winter tent.

Today I will go to another hardware store and buy another Paris sled I think..the more I think of pulling one the more sure all the gear wont fit.

Think outdoors in any store you go to.

PostPosted: November 15th, 2011, 8:38 pm 

I may check it out but I'm mostly MEC-true. I recently received a cheque for $50+ from them buying back my shares! :D

PostPosted: November 16th, 2011, 9:20 am 

splashdancer wrote:
... I recently received a cheque for $50+ from them buying back my shares! :D

I like MEC. They also sent me checks for the last 2 yrs for overcharging me on purchases. But I am not stuck on MEC. I will shop at Cabellas or Bass-Pro or wherever in order to get the best deal on the items I am looking for.

PostPosted: November 16th, 2011, 12:36 pm 

543 views and very few actual visits...

hmnn..

Well Sail does have some $$$... they are running 30 sec tv spots in Toronto on Canada AM. Cant recall anyone having a budget for TV. Even when Bass Pro opened strictly an outdoor buy ; )

They say there are over 50 tents on display , which captures my attention since most stores usually have 6 tents set up ( excepting Tent city of course).

Im in the market for the new Therma-rest but find most stores have limited selections and tend to bring in the 20" size vs the 25"..so its been an agravating hunt.

OK looks like Im going to be making a trip to Vaughn in the next two weeks and see what its all about and post a retail trip report..I can see it now..."there is a 30 metre portage mostly flat from the parking lot to the entrance, its a busy store with many people lined up at the take out".