View topic - The Thunder box challenge!

It is currently September 18th, 2019, 6:37 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours





Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 40 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: September 26th, 2014, 8:29 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: August 11th, 2002, 7:00 pm
Posts: 5517
Location: Sunny Wasaga Beach
Don't want to harp on a detail, but that short chain idea is important. Nobody 'forgets' to close the lid!

_________________

Old canoeists never die---they just smell that way.



Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: September 26th, 2014, 9:19 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: December 19th, 2006, 8:47 pm
Posts: 8929
Location: Rattlesnake Pond ME
wotrock wrote:
Don't want to harp on a detail, but that short chain idea is important. Nobody 'forgets' to close the lid!


yup you get off and it self closes.. :rofl: Don't linger..

I've talked to Joel Cooper re his really great P3s along the coast. He mentioned digging down four feet.. So a camper trowel really wont do anything. You do need a long handled shovel.. He put in some magnificent P3s and we talked about maintenance. You probably need an organized team going in with proper tools for leveling the waste cone and evaluating the need to move the site. The maintenance is onerous for one person and can be iffy for donations to hire someone. I can't think of two more committed folks than Joel Cooper or David Wells on the Superior Coast... just wanted to thank you for your wisdom.

Thank you Joel as I have used your "facilities" and found them most comfortable.

As always, your ecosystem may vary.. Maybe after a foot the shovel goes clang..


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: September 26th, 2014, 9:36 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: June 23rd, 2006, 4:25 pm
Posts: 3011
Location: Milton
:thumbup:
Lots of desire! :rofl:
Joel maybe with your connections we in Ont. can get something going like Alberta.
I really think it is a lack of education/knowledge for newcomers that don't know what is appropriate in the woods.
We really do need a like icon for posts :thumbup:
And please share this on other forums "share" the knowledge....
(ohhh so many bad jokes.....)
Jeff

_________________
Choosing to save a river is more often an act of passion than of careful calculation. You make the choice because the river has touched your life in an intimate and irreversible way, because you are unwilling to accept its loss. — (David Bolling, Ho


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: September 26th, 2014, 11:09 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: December 19th, 2006, 8:47 pm
Posts: 8929
Location: Rattlesnake Pond ME
Jeff there is lots of desire but maybe its worthwhile working with folks like Joel online to make a game plan strategy. Re : placement, inspection schedule., maintenance /moving. You folks are not in the same ecosystem but seem poised to share ideas.

Down here in the Maine Islands ( which are like the Georgian Bay Islands but tidal , saltwater and occupied by lobster ....cheeep..) there is no opportunity to move in some cases... Because any privy would be fixed the Maine Island Trail Association has opted for education for some of its islands. Digging a privy would be self limiting as the islands are mostly solid rock like in Georgian Bay. We've promoted ways to remove the party's waste and dispose of it at home.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: September 27th, 2014, 8:31 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: June 23rd, 2006, 4:25 pm
Posts: 3011
Location: Milton
Good idea, never thought about the island problems,
That needs to be addressed.
Easy access to the knowledge or programs wood be good,
I am sure many users would get involved.
The areas of crown lands are another beast and fall outside the parks reaches and they may not want to take on that limited cost with their ever shrinking budgets.

Could be like the adopt a road program of trash clean up.
I don't know how successful it is but I am sure there are models like the one you mentioned in Maine so we don't have to re-invent the wheel.
Jeff

_________________
Choosing to save a river is more often an act of passion than of careful calculation. You make the choice because the river has touched your life in an intimate and irreversible way, because you are unwilling to accept its loss. — (David Bolling, Ho


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: September 28th, 2014, 4:05 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: June 20th, 2001, 7:00 pm
Posts: 3458
Location: Toronto, Ontario Canada
Watersong wrote:
Re-store seat....$5

14 inches square 1/4 inch ply for sides

1/2 inch ply for top




Avoid plywood if there is even the most remote chance of a porcupine passing by. MNR Thunderboxes are made from 1 x 6 t&g pine.

_________________
"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: September 28th, 2014, 5:53 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: April 21st, 2004, 10:52 am
Posts: 1099
Location: Near Ottawa ON
littleredcanoe wrote:
Down here in the Maine Islands ( which are like the Georgian Bay Islands but tidal , saltwater and occupied by lobster ....cheeep..) there is no opportunity to move in some cases... Because any privy would be fixed .... We've promoted ways to remove the party's waste and dispose of it at home.

Paddling the inside passage off the northern BC coast I was advised to wait for low tide then go out onto the inter-tidal, put a rock over it and forget it. It was considered the "right" thing to do. Maybe not such a good plan in other than remote, low-use locations.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: September 28th, 2014, 8:28 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: December 19th, 2006, 8:47 pm
Posts: 8929
Location: Rattlesnake Pond ME
Krusty wrote:
littleredcanoe wrote:
Down here in the Maine Islands ( which are like the Georgian Bay Islands but tidal , saltwater and occupied by lobster ....cheeep..) there is no opportunity to move in some cases... Because any privy would be fixed .... We've promoted ways to remove the party's waste and dispose of it at home.

Paddling the inside passage off the northern BC coast I was advised to wait for low tide then go out onto the inter-tidal, put a rock over it and forget it. It was considered the "right" thing to do. Maybe not such a good plan in other than remote, low-use locations.

Sorry.. That's old advice.. That will get you shit coated islands when the tide goes in.

Not a good plan in any case. Unless you want your excrement to meet you..It's illegal here to dump human waste into the ocean.. Remote low use locations have nothing to do with it.. We clean up messes from Europe all the time, some of the containers have poor. ..Fortunuately your poo probably would break up before arrival here.Ocean circulations can be powerful.

http://www.useakayak.org/reflections/re ... 10_03.html


back to thunderbox which was the original topic.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: September 28th, 2014, 10:22 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: April 21st, 2004, 10:52 am
Posts: 1099
Location: Near Ottawa ON
Well....ummmm.....thanks. You certainly made your point. <insert appropriate smilie>.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: September 28th, 2014, 10:29 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: December 19th, 2006, 8:47 pm
Posts: 8929
Location: Rattlesnake Pond ME
Krusty wrote:
Well....ummmm.....thanks. You certainly made your point. <insert appropriate smilie>.

There used to be a variant on what you spoke about. You put it on a flat rock and then played discus hurler. :rofl: I never tried that nor want to..

Hijackers will now be good


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: September 28th, 2014, 2:42 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: May 2nd, 2011, 2:29 pm
Posts: 52
Location: Ruperts Land
good for you man! nice to see some initiative. I have a facebook page where I build native bird boxes, clean up garbage, and plant trees and its really amazing to see how little some people care , but its really great when you see they do. kudos.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: September 28th, 2014, 7:45 pm 
Offline

Joined: March 20th, 2008, 2:44 pm
Posts: 32
Location: commanda, on
I prefabed a TB for a campsite on Lennon Lake (Restoule River). That was probably about 3-4 yrs ago. I painted the plywood with 2 coats of white epoxy paint...gave a real porcelain like finish and we put up reflectors to lead the way at night.

Has anyone used that site recently? Just wondering.

_________________
Life is short, paddle lots and paddle slow.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: October 13th, 2014, 5:52 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: June 23rd, 2006, 4:25 pm
Posts: 3011
Location: Milton
Well got it installed, Stayed for 4 nights five days due to high water conditions, but being out in the woods is always a good thing.

Image

and the first customer seemed rather pleased with the comfort... 8)

Image

Jeff

_________________
Choosing to save a river is more often an act of passion than of careful calculation. You make the choice because the river has touched your life in an intimate and irreversible way, because you are unwilling to accept its loss. — (David Bolling, Ho


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: October 13th, 2014, 6:42 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: December 19th, 2006, 8:47 pm
Posts: 8929
Location: Rattlesnake Pond ME
O lordy ..i've done that..

forgotten to raise the lid.. :oops:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: October 16th, 2014, 10:00 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: June 5th, 2003, 2:50 pm
Posts: 757
Location: Toronto
I applaud Jedi for doing this simple act. For as much as we complain about sites that are left with wrappers and multiple fire pits there is absolutely nothing worse than coming to a site and seeing folks leaving their "business" scattered about. By having a TB in one location away from water and centralized is a god send and does the most to maintain the environmental integrity of the site and the lakes and rivers nearby.

Our group has been installing TB's in McCrea over the last 7 years and the effects are remarkable ..much cleaner sites are probably a direct result .

The challenge is carrying a large shovel to create the hole, but once started it takes less than 30 minutes to complete. Its also necessary to replace the TB to another location once it fills to almost ground level, because when it gets above that height..well you get the picture.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 40 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

All times are UTC - 5 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group