View topic - The Thunder box challenge!

It is currently September 18th, 2019, 6:37 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: September 26th, 2014, 8:29 pm 

Don't want to harp on a detail, but that short chain idea is important. Nobody 'forgets' to close the lid!

Old canoeists never die---they just smell that way.

PostPosted: September 26th, 2014, 9:19 pm 

wotrock wrote:
Don't want to harp on a detail, but that short chain idea is important. Nobody 'forgets' to close the lid!

yup you get off and it self closes.. :rofl: Don't linger..

I've talked to Joel Cooper re his really great P3s along the coast. He mentioned digging down four feet.. So a camper trowel really wont do anything. You do need a long handled shovel.. He put in some magnificent P3s and we talked about maintenance. You probably need an organized team going in with proper tools for leveling the waste cone and evaluating the need to move the site. The maintenance is onerous for one person and can be iffy for donations to hire someone. I can't think of two more committed folks than Joel Cooper or David Wells on the Superior Coast... just wanted to thank you for your wisdom.

Thank you Joel as I have used your "facilities" and found them most comfortable.

As always, your ecosystem may vary.. Maybe after a foot the shovel goes clang..

PostPosted: September 26th, 2014, 9:36 pm 

:thumbup:
Lots of desire! :rofl:
Joel maybe with your connections we in Ont. can get something going like Alberta.
I really think it is a lack of education/knowledge for newcomers that don't know what is appropriate in the woods.
We really do need a like icon for posts :thumbup:
And please share this on other forums "share" the knowledge....
(ohhh so many bad jokes.....)
Jeff

Choosing to save a river is more often an act of passion than of careful calculation. You make the choice because the river has touched your life in an intimate and irreversible way, because you are unwilling to accept its loss. — (David Bolling, Ho

PostPosted: September 26th, 2014, 11:09 pm 

Jeff there is lots of desire but maybe its worthwhile working with folks like Joel online to make a game plan strategy. Re : placement, inspection schedule., maintenance /moving. You folks are not in the same ecosystem but seem poised to share ideas.

Down here in the Maine Islands ( which are like the Georgian Bay Islands but tidal , saltwater and occupied by lobster ....cheeep..) there is no opportunity to move in some cases... Because any privy would be fixed the Maine Island Trail Association has opted for education for some of its islands. Digging a privy would be self limiting as the islands are mostly solid rock like in Georgian Bay. We've promoted ways to remove the party's waste and dispose of it at home.

PostPosted: September 27th, 2014, 8:31 am 

Good idea, never thought about the island problems,
That needs to be addressed.
Easy access to the knowledge or programs wood be good,
I am sure many users would get involved.
The areas of crown lands are another beast and fall outside the parks reaches and they may not want to take on that limited cost with their ever shrinking budgets.

Could be like the adopt a road program of trash clean up.
I don't know how successful it is but I am sure there are models like the one you mentioned in Maine so we don't have to re-invent the wheel.
Jeff

Choosing to save a river is more often an act of passion than of careful calculation. You make the choice because the river has touched your life in an intimate and irreversible way, because you are unwilling to accept its loss. — (David Bolling, Ho

PostPosted: September 28th, 2014, 4:05 am 

Watersong wrote:
Re-store seat....$5

14 inches square 1/4 inch ply for sides

1/2 inch ply for top

Avoid plywood if there is even the most remote chance of a porcupine passing by. MNR Thunderboxes are made from 1 x 6 t&g pine.

PostPosted: September 28th, 2014, 5:53 am 

littleredcanoe wrote:
Down here in the Maine Islands ( which are like the Georgian Bay Islands but tidal , saltwater and occupied by lobster ....cheeep..) there is no opportunity to move in some cases... Because any privy would be fixed .... We've promoted ways to remove the party's waste and dispose of it at home.

Paddling the inside passage off the northern BC coast I was advised to wait for low tide then go out onto the inter-tidal, put a rock over it and forget it. It was considered the "right" thing to do. Maybe not such a good plan in other than remote, low-use locations.

PostPosted: September 28th, 2014, 8:28 am 

Krusty wrote:
littleredcanoe wrote:
Down here in the Maine Islands ( which are like the Georgian Bay Islands but tidal , saltwater and occupied by lobster ....cheeep..) there is no opportunity to move in some cases... Because any privy would be fixed .... We've promoted ways to remove the party's waste and dispose of it at home.

Paddling the inside passage off the northern BC coast I was advised to wait for low tide then go out onto the inter-tidal, put a rock over it and forget it. It was considered the "right" thing to do. Maybe not such a good plan in other than remote, low-use locations.

Sorry.. That's old advice.. That will get you shit coated islands when the tide goes in.

Not a good plan in any case. Unless you want your excrement to meet you..It's illegal here to dump human waste into the ocean.. Remote low use locations have nothing to do with it.. We clean up messes from Europe all the time, some of the containers have poor. ..Fortunuately your poo probably would break up before arrival here.Ocean circulations can be powerful.

http://www.useakayak.org/reflections/re ... 10_03.html

back to thunderbox which was the original topic.

PostPosted: September 28th, 2014, 10:22 am 

Well....ummmm.....thanks. You certainly made your point. <insert appropriate smilie>.

PostPosted: September 28th, 2014, 10:29 am 

Krusty wrote:
Well....ummmm.....thanks. You certainly made your point. <insert appropriate smilie>.

There used to be a variant on what you spoke about. You put it on a flat rock and then played discus hurler. :rofl: I never tried that nor want to..

Hijackers will now be good

PostPosted: September 28th, 2014, 2:42 pm 

good for you man! nice to see some initiative. I have a facebook page where I build native bird boxes, clean up garbage, and plant trees and its really amazing to see how little some people care , but its really great when you see they do. kudos.

PostPosted: September 28th, 2014, 7:45 pm 

I prefabed a TB for a campsite on Lennon Lake (Restoule River). That was probably about 3-4 yrs ago. I painted the plywood with 2 coats of white epoxy paint...gave a real porcelain like finish and we put up reflectors to lead the way at night.

Has anyone used that site recently? Just wondering.

PostPosted: October 13th, 2014, 5:52 pm 

Well got it installed, Stayed for 4 nights five days due to high water conditions, but being out in the woods is always a good thing.

and the first customer seemed rather pleased with the comfort... 8)

Jeff

PostPosted: October 13th, 2014, 6:42 pm 

O lordy ..i've done that..

forgotten to raise the lid.. :oops:

PostPosted: October 16th, 2014, 10:00 am 

I applaud Jedi for doing this simple act. For as much as we complain about sites that are left with wrappers and multiple fire pits there is absolutely nothing worse than coming to a site and seeing folks leaving their "business" scattered about. By having a TB in one location away from water and centralized is a god send and does the most to maintain the environmental integrity of the site and the lakes and rivers nearby.

Our group has been installing TB's in McCrea over the last 7 years and the effects are remarkable ..much cleaner sites are probably a direct result .

The challenge is carrying a large shovel to create the hole, but once started it takes less than 30 minutes to complete. Its also necessary to replace the TB to another location once it fills to almost ground level, because when it gets above that height..well you get the picture.