View topic - portage padding

It is currently September 23rd, 2019, 12:53 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: portage padding
PostPosted: May 6th, 2015, 8:09 am 

Is there any DIY way/advice to make your own padding, shape etc and material?
Need to carry a 2 person canoe myself...

Post subject: Re: portage padding
PostPosted: May 6th, 2015, 10:22 am 

Yes---get some closed cell foam and glue it to the yoke.

Old canoeists never die---they just smell that way.

PostPosted: May 6th, 2015, 10:39 am 

wotrock wrote:
Yes---get some closed cell foam and glue it to the yoke.

DO you think 1 person can lift a 2person prospector expedition canoe?
I tried it once, could lift it, but the pain on the shoulders was immense after a few minutes. 62-74lbs I think for a fibreglass.

PostPosted: May 6th, 2015, 11:05 am 

That's really a personal question regarding ability to lift a canoe. All that matters is if you are comfortable doing so. If it is going to cause you pain and possible injury either:

Find portage free routes...plenty available.

Drag the beast

Look into selling it and buying something lighter...Killareny Bay Outfitters usually had great stock of used very light Souris canoes.

I just wouldn't be lifting it if it's going to injure you or make you detest paddling...find something that works for you.

PostPosted: May 6th, 2015, 11:06 am 

What kind of yoke do you have?

Is it a sculpted yoke or a straight bar?

I would say that most people prefer to have a single person portage the canoe. You will also find a lot of dedicated canoeists who insist on single carrying portages so they are carrying pack(s) plus canoe on a single trip.

While the weight range you gave isn't particularly light by current carbon fibre standards, it is still pretty typical for a lot of canoes out there and lighter than some.

Some things that can help are:

1) A proper sculpted yoke if you don't have one yet, this will make a huge difference
2) A yoke pad can help absorb the bouncing. This is a pretty typical one: http://www.mec.ca/product/5037-080/leve ... yoke%2Bpad
3) I find that it really helps to tie the bow and stern painter lines together and then use the rope to control the angle/balance of the canoe. This lets me keep my arms down rather than holding them up to control the canoe.
4) Some folks like to use a tump line fastened to the yolk to help carry the load.

PostPosted: May 6th, 2015, 11:09 am 

But to answer your question whether it can be done. Sure, I can do it. But I'm 50lbs-100lbs heavier then your average canoeist, am 32 years old, and have background in lifting heavy weight in the gym. That said I only take my Old Town Discovery Beast on portage free routes ;)

PostPosted: May 6th, 2015, 11:30 am 

Bourquin yoke pads
Hubby is 70 and can portage our OT Penobscot still
The key is a yoke that fits you or a flat yoke that can be padded

PostPosted: May 6th, 2015, 12:59 pm 

Solo carrying a 2 person (tandem) canoe is one of the greatest things about canoes, which is way for a longtime people have been solo carrying canoes. Many paddlers prefer to carry the canoe over a pack.

Your stated weight is very typical for most fibreglass or royalex canoes.

The key things to address are:
1 a good centre yoke, one that fits you and is comfortable. I use Teal Yokes and have recently stated using the padded yoke pads Splake linked to.
2 balance, the canoe needs to be balanced on your shoulders
3 a little practice goes a long way, every spring I take my canoe on short walks to the neighbours
4 lifting and dropping technique/ skill. I'm sure there are lots of videos on the Internet showing how to lift and put down a canoe. With good technique and practice I (135 lbs) can lift an 80+lb canoe with ease. There are also several excellent ways to get a canoe onto your shoulders. Single lift by yourself. Tandem lift but solo carry (and several ways to do the tandem lift). Tenting style lifts or roll ups, and again there are several excellent ways to tent canoes, up and down.

PostPosted: May 6th, 2015, 1:14 pm 

I have to because my partner really wants to go canoeing this year but will be mid pregnancy so unable to lift! Apparently, lots of people do it before you all worry about the risks. :) We used to carry the canoe together.
The are rented Prospector 17' (2 people) canoes (fibreglass, Kevlar, or the white light ones).
I just remember trying this once, the yoke was a wooden with curved area to fit round neck/shoulders. It started to hurt badly after a few minutes. We're talking some portages 600m-1500m depending.

PostPosted: May 6th, 2015, 1:28 pm 

It sounds like the rented canoes might have flat yokes, rather than the more comfortable deep dish ones (sculpted). In either case, I'd suggest you buy a yoke pad similar to the one linked by Splake. For < $20 you'd be prepared each time you go.
Have fun out there Dr1Gonzo.

PostPosted: May 6th, 2015, 1:31 pm 

Get one of these, it's easy to add to and remove from a rented canoe.

A yoke pad can help absorb the bouncing. This is a pretty typical one: http://www.mec.ca/product/5037-080/leve ... yoke%2Bpad

And deep dished yoke is better than a flat yoke if you have to option when renting or if it your own canoe.

PostPosted: May 14th, 2015, 11:49 am 

Sam82 wrote:
But to answer your question whether it can be done. Sure, I can do it. But I'm 50lbs-100lbs heavier then your average canoeist, am 32 years old, and have background in lifting heavy weight in the gym. That said I only take my Old Town Discovery Beast on portage free routes ;)

You surprise me! I had an Old Town Discovery 158 that I portaged around some serious rapids on the Lower Pet when I was about 60. (Not to brag or anything :D :doh: )

PostPosted: May 14th, 2015, 12:18 pm 

wotrock wrote:
You surprise me! I had an Old Town Discovery 158 that I portaged around some serious rapids on the Lower Pet when I was about 60. (Not to brag or anything :D :doh: )

It's called surviving, not bragging. :wink:

I looked up the weight on the Old Town - 87 lbs!!! I wouldn't be portaging that one any more than I had to either.

PostPosted: May 14th, 2015, 2:57 pm 

Some good advice already given, and I think many of us prefer to solo carry a tandem canoe rather than tandem carry. The solo carry is less awkward. Also there is nothing wrong with breaking it up into manageable chunks - you don't need to do 1.5 km with a canoe on your head all in one go. As already mentioned, the weights you list are pretty normal.

You will also get some good tips from Paul Mason's website: http://paddlepointers.com

Here is a good video (from the above website) that shows portaging a canoe, including a good way for a weaker paddler to help a stronger paddler:

Cheers & happy portaging!

PostPosted: May 14th, 2015, 6:32 pm 

Splake wrote:
wotrock wrote:

I looked up the weight on the Old Town - 87 lbs!!!

I don't think mine was that heavy---it was the 15' 8" model. I think there is/was a bigger one as well.