View topic - portage padding

It is currently September 22nd, 2019, 7:17 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Re: portage padding
PostPosted: June 2nd, 2015, 1:20 pm 
CCR Assistant Administrator

You are welcome Martin2007! Where did you get the foam? I have resorted to making my kneeling pads out of closed cell foam shop floor mats because store bought kneeling pads are a rip. The flooring pads I use have a textured pattern to them which is not ideal. I would prefer the smooth foam that you are using.

PostPosted: June 2nd, 2015, 2:02 pm 

I found this foam at Len's Mills three or four years ago. It was a large 5'x 8' remnant piece. I paid something like $15-20. I'm now down to the last square metre of it. I friend of mine checked in at Len's Mills last fall and they didn't have any. I've no idea where you'd get it now. It's the greatest: tough and super-light. It feels similar to canoe and kayak car-carrying foam blocks. Maybe someone else here will know where to get the stuff.

PostPosted: June 2nd, 2015, 3:24 pm 

I'm glad I followed this thread. I just tried out the yoke in my backyard and it slips like crazy and won't stay in place without tape. Bill Swift told me it may be a problem, but I was hoping they solved it. Anyway, I found a better solution. I added additional foam (pipe insulation) to my Level Six yoke pad and simply strapped it to the top of my canoe pack shoulder straps. The paddle shafts shown in my pictures rest on top of the pad so it gives me the height I was looking for. When I'm not using my pack or single carrying, I don't need padding.

Shawn http://myselfreliance.com/ https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIMXKi ... q2UJePJEog

PostPosted: June 3rd, 2015, 7:47 am 

martin2007 wrote:
Shhhhhh! Sk8r, you'll frighten the children, and they won't want to come on our adventures any more! Your description of portage reality might make us, and them, question our own masochistic urges.
Anyway, MartinG kindly volunteered to upload my photos for me to, hopefully, show that the system isn't too complicated or rigorous. ......

hmmmm... one of the reasons I'll do an extra carry is if I hear a child within 5 miles of me..... :evil: ...... and the pictures just make it even MORE clear to me that I won't EVER be doing that out there, EVER. :tsk:

I just put my pack on my back, flip up my boat, call my dog, and I'm outta there...... :D

PostPosted: June 7th, 2016, 11:55 am 

[quote="littleredcanoe"]Several sources for those pads.. quite common

http://bourquin.wcha.org/yokes.html

Does anyone know where I can get some pads like this in Canada?

thanks