View topic - Important Message about Philip Edward Island & area

It is currently October 17th, 2019, 4:11 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: August 13th, 2016, 8:06 am 

The proof is in the pix. But those are to come

Killarney Outfitters runs a stash of kayaks. I counted two dozen on the lawn
One group of 10 leaving at the same time
KO undoubtedly picks them up at the end of the day so they aren't there overnight
Launching five kayaks at a time with more waiting isn't fun
I suspect the culprit is the hot weather and folks wanting to get cooler
Plus it's close to a major city

PostPosted: June 12th, 2017, 8:56 pm 

June 2017
RE: Wiikwemkoong Islands Boundary Claim
To whom it may concern,
Wiikwemkoong Unceded Territory and the Government of Ontario (“the Parties”) are in negotiations to resolve the outstanding Boundary claim relating to the islands off the eastern shore of Manitoulin Island.
At this time, I am writing to inform you about the progress made on these negotiations to date.
The Parties have identified a package of proposed settlement lands which may be transferred to Wiikwemkoong Unceded Territory as part of the settlement of the claim. The enclosed Draft Environmental Study Report (ESR) provides a description of the project proposal and alternatives. The Draft ESR was prepared in accordance the requirements for Category C projects under the Class Environmental Assessment for Stewardship and Facility Development Projects. It is available for review and comment between June 12 and August 11, 2017.
Ontario will not take away private property from third parties to settle land claims. Any acquisition of private property is on a willing-seller/willing-buyer basis. Access to private property will be protected.
Public consultation is an integral component of the land claim negotiation process. Existing Crown land uses are taken into consideration during the negotiations and we are committed to maintaining an open process for information sharing with interested parties as negotiations proceed.
If you would like to discuss this further, or require a hard copy of the materials, please contact me at wutclaim@ontario.ca, or (705) 755-3316. I can also be reached by mail, at the address identified in this letterhead.
General information about land claims and the negotiation process is available on the Ministry of Aboriginal Affairs website at: http://www.ontario.ca/aboriginal/land-c ... on-process.
Sincerely,
Alison McLaren
Senior Negotiator
Ministry of Aboriginal Affairs

PostPosted: August 19th, 2017, 11:36 am 

A friend sent me an e-mail with the latest on this. It seems that people who park at Chic get flyers on their vehicles soliciting(presumably sympathetic) comments.

I must admit that I, like others, feel a bit ambivalent about this. In order of pref., my outcomes would be
(1) Turned over to natives and run as a park with fees, thunderboxes, and at least minimal maint.(occasional cleanup after slobs)
(2) status quo.
(3) kept by the prov and run as a PP like the FRPP delta---i.e fees, no thunderboxes, no maintenance, designated campsites that may have 1 marginal tent pad.
(4) Turned over to natives and kept off-limits to others.

It would seem that the status quo is not an option, so I would favor #1 and assume that there is enough camping to make it a viable(profitable) park i.e an extension of the Point Grondine park that was recently established. PEI is already well known and used whereas P.G. is not. Surely, if P.G. is viable, PEI would be.

http://www.georgianbayassociation.com/w ... daryclaim/

Old canoeists never die---they just smell that way.

PostPosted: February 26th, 2018, 9:54 am 

Does anyone have an update on Philip Edward Island canoeing & camping in 2018? I'm trying to make plans for 2018 canoe trips.

Thank you.

Most of the world's political, social, and environmental problems have the same root cause: human overpopulation. By 2050 or so, the world population is expected to reach nine billion.

PostPosted: February 26th, 2018, 5:07 pm 

Why not just call Killarney Outfitters?
They rent a lot of kayaks used on PEI trips

PostPosted: February 26th, 2018, 9:49 pm 

littleredcanoe wrote:
Why not just call Killarney Outfitters?

I will, Kim. But over the years I have found that people on myccr have a wealth of invaluable information, and I still value tapping into that. <3

Cheers and peace.

Most of the world's political, social, and environmental problems have the same root cause: human overpopulation. By 2050 or so, the world population is expected to reach nine billion.