View topic - Effectiveness of Store-Bought Permethrin Treated Shirts

It is currently September 19th, 2019, 7:49 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: May 29th, 2016, 7:25 pm 

HOOP you defiantly got the most bang for the buck.
I just didn't think you wanted the hassle of trying to dilute it yourself.

I noticed there are two opening to that bottle, does the Permethrin require mixing before use? or does the Permethrin come separate from the other ingredients?

Let us know how it works out for you on the field.

PostPosted: May 29th, 2016, 9:35 pm 

At this rate ticks are going to be on the cover of Time magazine. Never gave them a thought in the Canadian woods, but is that ever changing! After reading a trip report about tick problems on Canoetripping.net I had ticks on my mind when I went day paddling on Friday at the Pinery. I paddled the old canal as usual, and was bareback most of the 2-3 hours. Later at the beach near the dune grass I was thinking ticks before I saw the first of several of the evil weevils who, yes, had discovered me. Seek and ye shall find. I found one navigating my leg hairs, but not yet embedded. Get me a mirror! Make that two mirrors!!
Solo tripping conundrum: whose gonna check for ticks on your back and scalp? Maybe that's another reason to buy a drone, for 360 degree tick-on-body reconnaissance flights when solo-ing.
Re: permethrin. I hope using it doesn't make me sprout extra appendages or make my hair fall out. I want some, permethrin that is, not more hair. Like the old George Michael song: "I'm never wearing shorts again, guilty feet have got no reason". Wrong! Blood-sucking lyme disease-carrying ticks, they're the reason! And how come the Americans always have all the best outdoor gear: folding camp chairs, cool stuff made out of leather, 13-pound pack canoes, Chick Corea, and now, permethrin in spray bottles. I don't think I have the patience to wait for Hoop's permethrin report. I'm gonna do some diluting and soaking of my own, and soon.

PostPosted: May 29th, 2016, 10:06 pm 

There is much mania about ticks. Back in 1983 we moved to the Lyme area of Connecticut and very quickly became acquainted with deer ticks. ( the population of deer was some 100 per square mile there)
We also quickly learned that chemicals do more harm than good and who the heck was going to mow the lawn in long sleeves and long pants??

There were , granted, some seriously ill people. My partner in EMS was bitten and developed cardiac symptoms that put him in the hospital for a month on IV antibiotics.
But in the big scheme of things with a million people in Connecticut, it was not really a reason to pour stuff on clothing or to cower indoors.

On your back and scalp.. and nether parts. You will develop a feel for the buggers.

I did. Everyone I knew that lived in tick heaven did...

PostPosted: May 30th, 2016, 2:26 pm 

My return visit to the Consumer Reports website turned up more information on the whole insect repellent topic. It looks to be the cover story of the upcoming July 2016 magazine issue. I’ve never known Consumer Reports to make available specific test results before to non-subscribers so it is nice to be able to access this information on-line for free!

The following url will take you to the overview page where you will find links to an in-depth rating of 16 different insect repellents, a short video on how they do the testing, and five other articles which deal with related topics like the permethrin-treated shirts that first caught my eye.

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/insect-repellent.htm

If you want to see the test report on the effectiveness of various insect repellants, check out the following link -

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/heal ... erview.htm

While treating your clothing with permethrin is a no-brainer, you’re only half way there without the use of an effective insect repellant. I’ve been a long time user of the Muskol 30% deet spray and still remember the stuff that was 95% deet! In the CR study the Ben’s 30% deet scored second-highest. A Sawyer product with 20% of the ingredient picaridin - which I am not at all familiar with - scored slightly higher.

From the brief REI primer below, it looks like I will be checking out a possible replacement for the deet I have been using for past thirty years! I still have that Swiss Army knife with the partially-dissolved plastic handle thanks to contact with a deet spill!

https://www.rei.com/learn/expert-advice ... lents.html

PostPosted: May 30th, 2016, 9:14 pm 

MartinG wrote:
@hoop, curious if you are planning on pump spraying your diluted solution or soaking.

Hi MartinG! I have never done this before, so we'll see how it works. It will be a week or so before the shipment gets here so I might change my mind.

I just read the helpful piece that My_Self_Reliance linked below, and here: http://myselfreliance.com/home-applying-permethrin-effective-tick-control-lyme-disease-prevention/ There is a soaking video at the bottom of the page which gave me some ideas as well.

I may pump spray it on some things, and soak other things.

Thanks TN! Ya I got a huge amount! :D But after seeing the soaking video that M_S_R linked, the clothing can soak up quite alot of it, so it may be less than I think if I use the soaking method. RE alternatives to DEET. The Picaridin does not seem to be available in Canada, but MEC is now selling a product with Icaridin, which might be the same thing? I may wait a year or more for the reports to come back on this new product before I abandon my 25% DEET which really works well for me. I recently posted a YT video showing how I apply it by rubbing into the skin for better function. Different topic so I will post that in another thread.

Hi Rawcardo. The product container is all one solution, 10% which does indeed need to be diluted separately in water, 19 parts water to 1 part solution, as noted above. The bottle has a separate reservoir (I am guessing 1 fluid ounce) that is used to decant a fixed volume. I think it is squeezed or tilted and poured into the reservoir. Once in the decanting reservoir it stays and it can be poured into a pail for mixing with water.

Thanks Martin2007. Check out the piece that M_S_Reliance that I linked above for some soaking method ideas. I note that one should wear rubber gloves when handling this stuff during the soaking procedure.

PostPosted: May 31st, 2016, 10:53 am 

http://www.gizmag.com/tick-rover-robot/28410/
we all need one of these for tripping... lol

but seriously... the only thing I would be worried about soaking with Permethrin would be my socks, to much moisture gets absorbed down there. maybe I'm just being paranoid.

I would soak/spray shoes and only the upper part of the socks that go around the shin's and calf's. not the part of the sock that gonna get super sweaty.

PostPosted: May 31st, 2016, 5:51 pm 

HOOP_ wrote:
Your Coleman spray lists as 6 oz. with only 0.5% of that as permethrin. Most of that can is petroleum distillate propellant, and solvent (water?). I would be interested in how much clothing that will treat.
As for my recollection I was able to treat one set of garments (socks, pants, shirt) twice.

HOOP_ wrote:
Your Coleman spray lists as 6 oz. with only 0.5% of that as permethrin. Most of that can is petroleum distillate propellant, and solvent (water?). I would be interested in how much clothing that will treat. Amazon.ca listed the price with shipping as $20.64 before tax.

Yesterday on Amazon.ca I ordered a 1 pint jug (16 oz) of the Martins 10% permethrin product, shipped from within Canada from a Canadian store. https://www.amazon.ca/Other-BC825669-Permethrin-10%25-Pint/dp/B002TMB4DE/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1464550429&sr=8-3&keywords=permethrin
I used both products and can share my experience.

Definitely an outdoors store product is either better refined or natural.
It smells better.
I needed just a few hours to dry clothing treated with expensive stuff.
On the other hand I left clothing treated with Martin's permethrin drying outside for a few days and it never smelled as good.

I used a spray bottle (that can be bought at guardening store or $ store) and an old syringe to measure Martin's permethrin tor dilution.

Based on Internet research it seems to me that Martin may have a few suppliers, so its batches may not be identical (higher or lower residual smell).

PostPosted: May 31st, 2016, 6:01 pm 

Rawcardo wrote:
I just didn't think you wanted the hassle of trying to dilute it yourself.

I noticed there are two opening to that bottle, does the Permethrin require mixing before use? or does the Permethrin come separate from the other ingredients?
It does require mixing with water.
Diluting is very simple after you have acquired such sophisticated equipment as a spray bottle and a syringe etc.

Second opening was useless to me.
As for my recollection, it can be used when preparing a higher volume of diluted permethrin than any canoest would need in a year.

PostPosted: June 1st, 2016, 5:47 pm 

Yury wrote:
Definitely an outdoors store product is either better refined or natural.
It smells better.
I needed just a few hours to dry clothing treated with expensive stuff.
On the other hand I left clothing treated with Martin's permethrin drying outside for a few days and it never smelled as good.

how bad did it smell?

did you notice and difference in effectiveness between both products?

PostPosted: June 1st, 2016, 6:19 pm 

On my website, link posted above, I give the math formula on how to dilute it. It's simple. Half a bottle has lasted me a year so far. It's easy, safe and cheap. I'm usually a chemical avoidance guy, but for bug repellent, I make an exception.

Shawn http://myselfreliance.com/ https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIMXKi ... q2UJePJEog

PostPosted: June 2nd, 2016, 1:20 am 

Couldn't resist.... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OctrGD4JW8U

PostPosted: June 6th, 2016, 5:38 pm 

Rawcardo wrote:
how bad did it smell?

did you notice and difference in effectiveness between both products?
When it was windy I did not smell anything.
Inside a tent this smell was more apparent.

It's individual. Some people hate it while other people barely notice it.

Effectiveness seems the same.