View topic - Scotch drinkers (I know u r out there) What's in your flask?

It is currently September 17th, 2019, 5:36 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: June 11th, 2016, 12:05 am 

So 40(ish) years ago I became a scotch/rocks drinker when I stumbled across J&B Rare ... eschewing all others especially Johnnie Red and by association, Johnnie Black.

Jump ahead 5 years and on my graduation day from CMCC, was introduced to The Glenlivet 12 and my eyes were opened to the world of single malts. I still added ice for 30 seconds, swirled with my fingers, then pulled the cubes but I was now a scotch snob.

My tastes for many years ran to Highlanders and Speysiders, enjoying The Glenlivet (but rejecting Glenfiddich), The Balvenie 10 when it was still available, Cardhu 12 and Dalwhinnie 15 while slowly weaning myself from ice, but still ready to add a few drops of spring water to open up a closed dram.

As my tastes have evolved, I have been drawn to the peaty Islay side, and my most recent purchase (in the US, cuz ONT prices on this are stupid) was Ardbeg Uigeadail. MMMmmmmmmm!

So, in my flasks on my/our most recent trip were Aberlour A'bunadh, Caol Ila 12, and Glenfarclas 17.

I ask you then, "What's in your flask lately?"

PS: My older daughter just gifted me a bottle of Johnnie Black in honour of 35 yrs of relieving suffering, restoring health and maximizing potential in my patients (2 legs and 4 legs) ... and you know what ... in spite of my prejudices, it's rather an enjoyable drop, lol!

PostPosted: June 11th, 2016, 8:20 am 

Dalwhinnie 15 or Glenkinchie 12 at the moment. I like a bit of honey sweetness and only a hint of smoky peat.

thehappyadventure.com

Friends of Temagami:
friendsoftemagami.org

PostPosted: June 11th, 2016, 9:31 am 

Over the past few years, The Balvenie Doublewood 12yr has accompanied me on every trip. A favourite campfire sipper.

A few years back a friend and I headed into WCPP for 3 weeks with a bottle (decanted) of Lagavulin, having never tried it before. Well, if there are any Lagavulin drinkers here, you needn't bother filtering your drinking water on trip. If your gullet can put up with "The Vulin", there ain't nothin' in the Great North Woods that your guts can't handle. That's some serious scotch!

www.mikemonaghan.ca

PostPosted: June 11th, 2016, 9:34 am 

Hennessy VS or St-Remy XO. :)

PostPosted: June 11th, 2016, 9:37 am 

At home I have a bottle of Blair Athol. Casked for 21 years, finished in a rum cask. I can't justify drinking it from a flask so I take a nice rum on canoe trips. It's not only the high cost of the bottle that prevents me from taking it tripping. I don't know enough about scotch to pick a bottle. My brother who lives in Lethbridge picks scotch for me when I visit.

PostPosted: June 11th, 2016, 11:25 am 

Dahlwhinnie is likley my stand-by too. I'll also grab Glenlivet or Aberlour - like them all and Glennfidich too.

I like the high end stuff but I don't usually buy it because I'll drink the bottle too fast and its just too expensive

A lower end one that I really like is Glenmorangie - that one probably comes camping the most

PostPosted: June 11th, 2016, 12:28 pm 

Excellent topic O_S_U!

For me it's Laphroaig Quarter Cask, which I lovingly refer to as "The Dirt".

For a true single malt, it's cheap as chips; uber-peaty, with overtones of a black spruce firewood burning on granite, with wet boots drying nearby.

I can't think of it without flashing back to backcountry tripping, and smiling.

Thanks for reminding me of it.

Ubique

PostPosted: June 11th, 2016, 6:53 pm 

Can't go wrong with Glenlivet. Recently tried a talisker which is right up my ally being super peaty. But although I'd love to drink this stuff all the time the majority of the time I'll enjoy a Jameson although I know not a scotch. For a rye and ginger has to be cc and Canada Dry gingerale. Recently was at an all inclusive resort and the best they had was Johnny black and to be honest I was more than happy sitting on the beach sipping it watching the sun go down.

PostPosted: June 11th, 2016, 8:46 pm 

guyfawkes041 wrote:
Excellent topic O_S_U!

For me it's Laphroaig Quarter Cask, which I lovingly refer to as "The Dirt".

For a true single malt, it's cheap as chips; uber-peaty, with overtones of a black spruce firewood burning on granite, with wet boots drying nearby.

I can't think of it without flashing back to backcountry tripping, and smiling.

Thanks for reminding me of it.

Ah yes, QC is a massive scotch for the money. Love the stuff. Couple more pours and it'll be time to restock.

PostPosted: June 12th, 2016, 7:48 am 

We make a bit of a game by bringing at least one new to us bottle. Penderyn(Welsh) and Glen Garioch 1797 Founders Reserve have impressed me lately. We have favourites but always nice to try new.

PostPosted: June 12th, 2016, 3:03 pm 

Current stash ....

Cheers ... Vin

Last edited by vinman on February 16th, 2017, 2:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: June 12th, 2016, 5:44 pm 

^Enjoy that Macallan 12 vinman, it's all NAS stuff from them now ... and Bowmore Laimrig is currently in my sights!

PostPosted: June 12th, 2016, 9:05 pm 

Age is just a number ..... that's why I only have half a dozen bottles of 12 and a few 18's of that Macallan :D

The Livet is also an 18 , the Bowmore is adorable .
They are all Old School stock pre 2000 from when I lived in the city and stocked up at half of what they cost now ....

Cheers .... Vin

PostPosted: June 12th, 2016, 9:46 pm 

Mac 18 !!! We gotta do a trip together! :D :D :D

PostPosted: June 13th, 2016, 9:49 am 

Last trip to Algonquin we did the Dew!! Tullamore Dew.