View topic - Solo sailing

It is currently September 17th, 2019, 4:03 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Re: Solo sailing
PostPosted: November 28th, 2016, 3:20 pm 

In case it was not clear in Mike's post, to the best of my knowledge, Spirit Sail is not longer in busy.

PostPosted: November 28th, 2016, 4:02 pm 

The Wind paddle sail performed well on my trip although I would have liked to use it a bit more often. Lots of wind but mostly head and beam so not much opportunity to sail. Just when I was about ready to chuck the thing in the lake I'd get to sail for a couple hours and it would all seem worth it. Other times I'd get teased as the wind would suddenly die when I deployed sail and then spring back up again when I took it down. At least it packs up small and is lightweight. For storage I'd slip it under the bow spray deck on top of the pack where it was easy to pull out and connect. Or if I hoped to sail that day I'd just leave it clipped to the boat and sitting on top of the front pack. Then all I needed to do was pull the cord and the sail would pop up.

Seemed to be able to sail up to about a 45 degree angle of wind over the shoulder, which I was happy with. Quick and easy to deploy and drop sail, which I worry about when solo. If need be I can drop sail (let go of line) and let it lie there while I tend to boat control until it's safe to use both hands to fold the sail back up.

I never did come up with a good way to tie off the control line, not that I really tried. I had a couple ideas in mind but I was usually only sailing for a mile or less at a time so I just kept making do. I know Mike didn't like me wrapping the line around the back of my neck so I compromised and wrapped it around the back of my head instead, right where a hat band would sit. This left hands free for steering with the paddle and, if necessary, a little tip forward with the head and the line would slip off. There was enough friction that when sailing off wind I could pull the cord loop to turn the sail and it would stay in place on my head...most of the time. I tried holding the cord in one hand and steering with the paddle in the other but that was a no-go except in perfect conditions, which I never experienced.

I've got a loaner Spirit Sail to try out come spring. Curious to see how they compare.

Alan

PostPosted: December 2nd, 2016, 1:02 pm 

Alan Gage wrote:
I know Mike didn't like me wrapping the line around the back of my neck so I compromised and wrapped it around the back of my head instead, right where a hat band would sit. This left hands free for steering with the paddle and, if necessary, a little tip forward with the head and the line would slip off.

You may be on to something. Kinda like the heads-up display in fighter pilot helmets; a sail steerable by the tilt of a head. Headstraps, quick release buckles. . . . .a neck that is tumpline conditioned. . . .

Mikey still don’t like loose lines or sail sheets in a canoe.

Alan Gage wrote:
There was enough friction that when sailing off wind I could pull the cord loop to turn the sail and it would stay in place on my head...most of the time.

If only there wasn’t some way to easily add friction. Even just a narrow band of follicles growing around the back of your head 

Alan Gage wrote:
I've got a loaner Spirit Sail to try out come spring. Curious to see how they compare.

The learning curve with the Spirit Sail is slightly higher than the WindPaddle, but I think the design makes a superior downwind sail, and you have ample time to do some dry runs, especially if you can sit in a canoe on the shop floor, determine the best distance away to mount it and simply practice unfurling and erecting the sail.

The cog and gear system between the base mount and Y batten connector gets faster and easier with practice and some this-is-how muscle memory.

Collapsing the sail when it is wind filled is the biggest trick, and is best done quickly with any downwind sail. With some practice the Spirit Sail comes off and down in a few seconds.

I now have a vision of Alan, in a wheeled office chair with a Spirit Sail basemount attached, being test blown around his shop by a large box fan.

Video please.