View topic - Parting is...sweet sorrow?

It is currently September 19th, 2019, 4:21 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: July 8th, 2016, 8:57 pm 

I don't think of myself as an emotional guy. Typically, I'm the one who has clear eyes and a level head in difficult times. But...

My brother passed away, completely unexpectedly, a couple of months ago. It has fallen to me to clean up his estate--which included his canoe. I never actually paddled his canoe. His was a 15' and we took my late father's 16' for the few trips we got together. (I say 'my late father's canoe' as I don't consider it really mine. My sister and brothers were always free to use it whenever they wanted. I just had the garage to store it in.) We didn't take nearly enough trips--for reasons that now seem completely trivial or inconsequential.

Anyway, a delightful pair of young women came to look at my brother's canoe this evening and they instantly fell in love with it. And why not? Pretty white boat set off with mellow aged cherry woodwork (except for ash inwales).

After money changed hands and they were tying the boat to their tiny car, I found myself inexplicably glassy-eyed. I felt compelled to get them to pose for a picture with my brother's canoe...scratch that...their new canoe. I don't think I embarrassed myself but I was teetering on the edge there for moment.

Thinking about it now, it is the memories of canoe trips past that is stirring up powerful emotions. Some of my fondest memories relate to paddling a canoe. It really hits home that my brother and I will never again dip a paddle together.

Anyway, this damn monitor has gone all blurry so I better stop here. Just remember that you never know which trip will be your last. Take the opportunity today. Now.

Craig

PostPosted: July 9th, 2016, 6:21 am 

Old Miller,

Very well said.

May your Brother always paddle in both your heart and your memories.

Dan

PostPosted: July 9th, 2016, 7:31 am 

Thank you for your story.. Its funny how individually we delegate certain craft to certain people. My husband thinks of all the boats we have save one as mine... even the one I got for his birthday. I have no idea why but the mind certainly has a mind of its own.

May you cherish the memories of your brothers trips with you for a long time.