View topic - Tying a kayak on top of Thule box

It is currently September 15th, 2019, 2:49 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: July 26th, 2016, 1:56 pm 

I have my rack full with a canoe side-by-side with Thule cargo box. I have to tie a whitewater kayak on top of that (for a 700 mile trip) and am worried with it pushing down on the Thule, which doesn't look very robust. I wonder if somebody could advice on some protection layer between the two, may be? I saw pool noodles suggested below - anything else?
Manky thanks,
Sergey

PostPosted: July 26th, 2016, 6:56 pm 

1) Could the kayak be cinched down either face up or face down over the (royalex or poly only) canoe hull? I don't like kayak cockpits face-up when it rains. Unstable when water sloshes around.
2) Make do without the cargo box and put the kayak beside the canoe. If the cargo box is full of paddles, pfd's, rod cases, etc. much of that stuff can be securely lashed to the thwarts inside the canoe hull
3) Yoga mats might have the right amount of grip and softness to act as a layer between cargo box and kayak.

PostPosted: July 26th, 2016, 7:06 pm 

Will the yak fit in one of the canoes if you remove some parts?

PostPosted: July 26th, 2016, 10:16 pm 

Thanks, guys! It's a solo canoe and no kayak will fit inside. And the box will be full of gear: it's three of us plus a baby heading to Canada for a stay in a cottage and a 2-3 day wilderness trip. Yoga mat is an interesting idea!

PostPosted: July 27th, 2016, 6:52 am 

Kayak on its side? On top of the box worries me if there is going to be enough sturdy contact between boat and box.
Pic taken on NYS Thruway just by Garden State Parkway.. Not you I hope.

PostPosted: July 27th, 2016, 9:48 am 

:)))

PostPosted: July 27th, 2016, 10:28 am 

As someone who sells Racking products i would not recommend tying a boat do a cargo box, i feel as though it would be likely to cause major damage to the box.

PostPosted: July 27th, 2016, 10:57 am 

Eddy Turn wrote:
I have my rack full with a canoe side-by-side with Thule cargo box. I have to tie a whitewater kayak on top of that (for a 700 mile trip) and am worried with it pushing down on the Thule, which doesn't look very robust. I wonder if somebody could advice on some protection layer between the two, may be? I saw pool noodles suggested below - anything else?

That sounds like a bad idea for any number of reasons, even with some padding between the box and kayak. None of the cargo boxes I have seen are very robust, so damage to the box is possible, perhaps probable.

With the kayak tied/strapped down under tension you will have more than just the weight of the boat pushing down on the box. And if the box breaks or even if the lid is just forced further down past the lower lip you will suddenly have loose ropes or straps holding the kayak.

[quote="martin2007"] Make do without the cargo box and put the kayak beside the canoe. If the cargo box is full of paddles, pfd's, rod cases, etc. much of that stuff can be securely lashed to the thwarts inside the canoe hull.

Back when we travelled in a vehicle with limited storage space my wife sewed up a simple paddle bag, essentially just a huge envelope & flap shape. We put the paddles, tarp poles and other long linear stuff in the bag, rolled the flap closed and strapped it under the thwarts.

A no sewing off-season clearance sale possibility would be to purchase a ski or snowboard bag and stick the paddles etc in that strapped under the thwarts. If some of the cargo box volume is PFD’s they could go in a dry bag similarly strapped under a seat.

One anecdotal tale of warning about transporting un-bagged paddles in a canoe. Travelling companions of ours used to simply bungee all of their paddles into a bundle and strap that to the thwarts. Friend Ben was tooling down the inter-State when he looked in the mirror to see cars scattering left and right, dodging the assortment of paddles that had fallen off.

He turned about at an exit and went back to see if anything was recoverable. His paddles were busted all to hell, including one that was impaled in the radiator of a hissing Volvo.

It was one time when writing your contact information on paddles didn’t pay off. He was on the dime for the Volvo radiator and the only replacement paddles he could find in time to make the trip were from Wal-mart. Don’t be like Ben.

Clearance sale ski or snow board bag and a dry bag under the canoe. Depending on your roof rack set up you might be able to strap the dry bag directly to the roof and position the canoe overtop.

PostPosted: July 27th, 2016, 11:16 am 

Thanks for all replies! I got the point, which confirmed (dam!) what I was afraid of: I had a bad idea. As for other options: my 15' narrow solo canoe doesn't provide much space for gear inside it even when proper side up! I guess I will try to secure the kayak on top of the canoe with no involvement form the gear box. Will try to use a closed cell foam padding and some noodles and see how it works out.

PostPosted: July 27th, 2016, 11:31 am 

Mr Mc.. what a great lunchtime story.. Glad I was not the paddle donor or receiver.

and a winter project.

Crocheting ( Pay Attention Neil) paddle bags.. With TWO handles. I have done some for Greenland Paddles and one for an nine foot long Aleut paddle..

Not looking for double blade business!

PostPosted: July 28th, 2016, 6:32 am 

Just watched a kayak fly off a tent trailer a couple cars in front of me last week on hwy 400. It bounced/seesawed end to end a few times and after it hit the car in front of me it lodged under the bumper. it was a white knuckle moment ... Can you rent a kayak at your destination. Probably there is something close by.

PostPosted: July 28th, 2016, 9:31 am 

littleredcanoe wrote:
a winter project.
paddle bags.. With TWO handles. I have done some for Greenland Paddles and one for an nine foot long Aleut paddle.

Despite now having gobs of paddle storage area inside the big Ford van or under the cap in the pickup I still use the clearance sale ski bag for our paddles.

Especially on family trips where we are transporting four take-apart double blades, four singles and four sails. The paddles and sails are all together in a padded bag (with both handles and a shoulder strap).

That was a Sierra Trading Post clearance sale double ski bag with lots of space inside. At the put in or take out one bag goes to the boats to be loaded or unloaded, but the real convenience is that I’m not fumbling out of the house trying to hold 12 paddles like a disastrous game of pickup sticks.

For transporting and shuttle-storing fewer paddles a snowboard bag works equally well.

PostPosted: July 28th, 2016, 1:15 pm 

Good idea re: the ski bag, Mike. Thanks!