View topic - Le Baron - Sad news

It is currently September 20th, 2019, 10:02 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Le Baron - Sad news
PostPosted: September 29th, 2016, 4:54 pm 

Got this in my inbox today:

We are sad to announce that after 58 years our Canadian-owned family business will be closing its doors. We want to thank all of our loyal customers for being a huge part of the success of our company. It has truly been an honour and pleasure to bring you great outdoor products at discount prices for all these years.

Perhaps not the biggest or the best on the block these days, but I for one will sadly miss them. I remember fondly as a kid pouring over the magazine thinking: "If I only had $100" I still shopped there occasionally and for my part, they will be missed.

Post subject: Re: Le Baron - Sad news
PostPosted: September 29th, 2016, 9:54 pm 

Ya choice is good. Had a bit of an old school sort of feel in Ottawa at least. Less plastic feeling than most places.

PostPosted: September 30th, 2016, 7:01 am 

KInda sad, but really predictable imo. I've shopped there for over 35 years (going back to when they had their Toronto store on Yonge St. up in Willowdale), but pretty rarely in the last few years, just when they had ammo on special, realistically speaking......

They just refused to enter the 21st century - their web presence was really really pathetic, closed on Sundays, often totally ill-informed staff..... just couldn't compete.....

Way of the dodo I think. :(

PostPosted: September 30th, 2016, 10:28 am 

While predictable , the competition is fierce, and in some ways we are over-stored with selection between Bass Pro, Sail, MEC, Tent City, Europe Bound etc etc.with no real product differentiation or unique selling propositions.

Bad for LeBaron but for a short period of time a great buying opportunity for consumers. Right now 20% minimum off everything in the store and 50% off on some items including boots and clothes. I was there yesterday in now a busy store and picked up a Eureka VCS 13 Mesh Room ( with still 6 left), A huge Nalgene ( I can never find those discounted) and some white gas at 50% off. Hey when can you ever get gas for 50% off?

Hey sk8r get over there...everyone in line was buying ammo on discount.

PostPosted: September 30th, 2016, 3:52 pm 

I'm not sure how gunnelbob got 50% off white gas! The Mississauga store was giving 20% off just about everything in the store today, including white gas. Selection is still pretty decent. Ammo was 10% off.

PostPosted: September 30th, 2016, 5:48 pm 

gunnelbob wrote:
Hey sk8r get over there...everyone in line was buying ammo on discount.

Yeah, I figured - but my guess is that, by now, everything except some kind of weird .338 Lapua or some other Euro-stuff that nobody shoots, will be pretty much gone... :( ..... I will wander by though, coz I do need a sweater..... ;)

PostPosted: September 30th, 2016, 11:17 pm 

The Ottawa store had ammo at 10% off so no big deal there. Long guns, however, were 20% off.

I have no idea if it was in response to the Le Baron 10% off on ammo, but I noticed that Cabelas here just put a 10% off sale on their ammo.

Yes sorry to see it go but for a long time now, they didn't seem to be restocking anything.

PostPosted: October 1st, 2016, 10:41 am 

Took a run up there - got my sweater!! :thumbup: 20% off almost everything - worth the trip if it's for stuff you needed anyway. Good deal on a Bushnell scope, and they actually did have some .308 left - so, a little saving there, although, seriously, one box lasts me about 3 years, so didn't need a lot... :wink:

Decent time-waster on a rainy gloomy Saturday... :)