View topic - "The Pet" is her favourite Algonquin trip

It is currently June 26th, 2019, 5:14 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: August 21st, 2017, 3:59 pm 

Thought you might enjoy some writing that I just released today about the place I love to paddle and visit every chance I have. Many of the shots in Path of the Paddle are taken on the Petawawa River. You can live stream it for free and easily for all internet connects at https://www.nfb.ca/film/path_of_the_paddle_solo_whitewater/ there are 4 in the series many of the shots on Petawawa River. I looked up the meaning of the name Petawawa and it's so cool to see the Indigenous meaning. I love it and made it my title for my article.

"WHERE ONE HEARS THE SOUND OF THE WATERS" Becky Mason shares why paddling "The Pet" is her favourite Algonquin trip. http://www.northernontario.travel/outdoor-adventures/whitewater-canoeing-on-the-petawawa-river-with-becky-mason

Becky Mason

PostPosted: August 21st, 2017, 9:53 pm 

Nice write up. Too bad about the base blocking the end or the river. I was wondering where those movies were filmed; the included map was a help. Were those all recent photos? Some of them have the same contrast that you see in the path of the paddle films, a comfortable look having grown up with Hinterland who's who.

PostPosted: August 22nd, 2017, 5:27 am 

Literally have watched that film 100 times! I enjoyed the write up Becky! Thanks for sharing :)

PostPosted: August 22nd, 2017, 6:46 am 

GRS Riverrider wrote:
Nice write up. Too bad about the base blocking the end or the river. I was wondering where those movies were filmed; the included map was a help. Were those all recent photos? Some of them have the same contrast that you see in the path of the paddle films, a comfortable look having grown up with Hinterland who's who.

Nice that you noticed. Many of those images I used in the article were shot during the making of the films. 1970's. The other ones 1989-2015 are my husband Reid's that have been shot on the Petawawa River at various times over the years.

Becky Mason

PostPosted: August 22nd, 2017, 2:40 pm 

I'm not sure what films are being discussed here but I recognized the opening scene from Wateralker immediately as the Natch. :D

Old canoeists never die---they just smell that way.

PostPosted: February 10th, 2018, 11:11 am 

Thanks for this - I was just doing some searching to try to figure out where those films were shot.

Here is another question I have if it is OK to ask - I am trying to figure out how old Paul is there. The main reason I ask is because I am a Scout leader and we do a lot of paddling with 11 to 14 year olds. I have never sent those videos to the Scouts to watch but I will this year and I think it is really neat that someone who I think is roughly their age (maybe 16 or 17?) is such a great paddler. I think those videos could serve to be a really big inspiration for the Scouts, and even moreso because we are able to sign up for paddling lessons with both of you guys here in the general area (I am in Ottawa).

EDIT: by the way, thanks for the google map in the article! So few outdoors writers realize how vital it is to include a map in their writing, and google maps are so easy to put together!

PostPosted: February 20th, 2018, 6:38 pm 

Hi Prospector16,
Thank you for your comments.

I suggest you go to my website and email the question off to my brother Paul. I sort of remember he was 12. http://www.redcanoes.ca/contact.html

All my Dad's videos can be live streamed for free from the National Film Board site www.nfb.ca and I sell the dvd's in my giftstore https://redcanoes.ecwid.com/ and my canoe courses are listed there too.

Becky Mason