View topic - It's good to be back

It is currently November 17th, 2019, 1:50 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: It's good to be back
PostPosted: March 20th, 2019, 11:24 pm 

Hello everyone,

I was a member here, many many years ago when the millennium turned and this place was still Ontario Canoe Routes and run by Richard. I've since lost the details of that account and been lurking ever since, on and off. For many years I've been dreaming of going back to Killarney in a canoe, and this summer, I've finally made the arrangements. So, after trying to reclaim a decades old account I signed up for a new one.

I have one big question - I've been out of the wilderness game for 15 years, perhaps 20. I was much younger and nimbler the last time I planned a trip. Not that I'm particularly old now, but I'm certainly not young anymore. The tech is techier, the canoes are lighter, and satellites are orbiting. I've paddled the upper Missinaibi twice and run the Barron Canyon, but not in 20 years. I've since acquired a (very small) fishing boat and motor for the plain reason that it can get me farther, faster, and my companions seem to be lazier. How much has changed?

On a specific note, I have 4 nights in Killarney booked in July from the 20th - George, then two nights on Three Narrows, then back to Muriel, and back to the camp. If anyone has any recent information about that route, or wouldn't mind a meeting, please reply. I can repost in another topic for anything detailed.

---

And on an even more specific note - I recall telling a story here about my second Missinaibi trip. It was cut short by a bear who ripped through my tent at Peterbell and ran off with my food while I was shitting on the polite side of the river. I became hypothermic and had to break into that cabin, and was helped by a CNR employee from the next stop east (quite a story). I'd love to see that post again, but the search here doesn't seem to go back more than 10 years or so. I'd muchly appreciate being pointed to that topic.

Post subject: Re: It's good to be back
PostPosted: March 21st, 2019, 2:36 am 

George to Three narrows in one day......a long day!

The archives here go back to around 2001, if you recalled your user name from back then it would be easier to find. If it was posted during the OCR days it is probably lost. Another possibility is that it was "cleansed", back in the day some of the bear threads got a little too heated for the hyper-sensitive paddling crowd :rofl:

PostPosted: March 21st, 2019, 6:45 am 

WB... you might find this place considerably tamer now that Richard no longer runs a saloon. Dirty jokes are not allowed. No fighting. No swearing. Characters like Kerry Knudsen and skiffboy have shoved off and Gail no longer posts with spelling misteaks.

George to 3-narrows should be fine in July. I did it at about age 55 going solo in Oct and triple-carrying the ports. If you are going down the creek to MacGregor Bay and Baie Fine to get to Muriel, it might take a longer day, with many short ports on the creek and BF possibly being rough in a west wind.

PostPosted: March 21st, 2019, 2:01 pm 

Tackling "The Pig" and/or the 3.5k of portages from Killarney to 3N's ought to make for a challenging enough tripping reboot. Enjoy!

PostPosted: March 21st, 2019, 2:34 pm 

Day 1 will be a tough slog, that's for sure, and it doesn't leave much time to venture into Threenarrows, where I hope to stay at the same site both nights. Day 1 on George does have the advantage of making it feasible to drive to Killarney and head straight to the interior, rather than staying in the campground Friday night.

It's my hope that I can find something on either Killarney or O.S.A. for day 1 between now and then, share or swap a site with someone, or something becomes available at the park office. Unfortunately it's Killarney, and you gotta take what you can get.

PostPosted: March 25th, 2019, 8:33 am 

Being closer to 60 than 40 and mainly a solo'er I'd thought I'd chime in LOL. The port from Killarney to Three Nar is long but not hard (only one "semi" steep section) but not strenuous by any means (just long). Doing "The Pig" however is a different animal. Because of the rocks you need to be able to trust your foot work with a canoe over your head. However, it is one of those ports that gives you some modest satisfaction when your done. If your up and on the water by 8 - 8:30ish each morning then I think you have planned your route well (but ports have their own challenges) but you'll have time to take breaks along the way.
You could also come back through the 3K'er and paddle thru OSA to get to Muriel (just an option).