View topic - In search of Ontario's White Water past!

It is currently August 23rd, 2019, 9:57 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: March 28th, 2019, 4:44 pm 

What we are hoping to do is reconnect and preserve Ontario's White water history.
We know back in the 50's to 70's there were some great WW paddlers across the province in all kinds of boats.
No matter what kind of WW paddling you did or know of someone who did during that time period we want to hear from you!
Date is June 15, 2019
Even if you can not make it we would love to see your history!!!!! :clap:

New Blog post !!!
In Search of Ontario's Whitewater Past
https://jeffmccollalifetimeoutdoors.wor ... ater-past/

Jeff

Choosing to save a river is more often an act of passion than of careful calculation. You make the choice because the river has touched your life in an intimate and irreversible way, because you are unwilling to accept its loss. — (David Bolling, Ho

Last edited by jedi jeffi on March 31st, 2019, 7:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: March 28th, 2019, 5:27 pm 

My earliest memory of WW paddling was going to watch paddlers on the Credit River slalom course. That would have been in 1960 or 1961.

Unfortunately no pics to share.........

PostPosted: March 29th, 2019, 8:28 pm 

Recped maybe we met back in the day hanging out down there.
We were always there, not paddling at the time.
Does camp fire and a can of beef stew and lady in an expensive fur coat ring a bell :D
Jeff

Choosing to save a river is more often an act of passion than of careful calculation. You make the choice because the river has touched your life in an intimate and irreversible way, because you are unwilling to accept its loss. — (David Bolling, Ho

PostPosted: March 29th, 2019, 8:36 pm 

have you talked to Roger Parsons? if not, I could perhaps put you in touch with him. He is still with Barrie Canoe and Kayak Club.
Google: roger parsons white water paddler

Present: Slip, Slap and Slop, hide from the sun! Past: Get some colour in those cheeks! Paddle Naked!

PostPosted: March 30th, 2019, 3:16 pm 

Thanks Cheryl!
It just so happens I have known Roger since I started paddling :oops: (1968 :o )
I have already been in touch with someone who will drive him and I have been intouch with his son.
Really trying to get some of the others from that time period.
Some I still know.
to many I would have been that tiny skinny kid :roll:
Jeff

PostPosted: March 31st, 2019, 1:50 pm 

Jeff - My introduction to kayaking and whitewater was paddling the Elora Gorge as an activity during the Scouts Canada CJ '85. I was junior staff at the jamboree and we had to twist some arms to actually get to go. Unfortunately, despite having lived in Guelph and Waterloo for the last 30 years that is still the only time I've paddled the gorge. I'm not even sure where the put in is.

There was a Venturer leader in Halton area around that time who had a couple of hard decked white water canoes. He ran the Scout's canoe tripping leadership course called a "Charge Certificate" at that time. I can't remember his name but he and his family would have been active paddlers in the 80's.